News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Glencoe School Chatham  (Read 43362 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: glencoe school chatham
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 18:29:11 »
From the clothes, and the fact of no uniform, I would say well pre-WW2
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Richrat2000

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 17:25:08 »
One from my aunts photo box.. she is 90% sure it was done at Glencoe.. year unknown. (boys only.. mixed when I was there in 60s)
Do you recognize anyone in it.. could be you, your dad, or your grandfather.

julie

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 13:32:04 »
oh sorry your right it was MR Gibbons do you also remember Mrs Coward MR Theobald do you remember the nurse checking heads for nits  not many people have old photos of school life there i always stand and look at the school as i go by brings back lot of memories all good teachers was strict but got more respect then today but they dont make teachers like they use to .

chathamhammer

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 22:26:02 »
hi,julie,as i stated earlier ,i started this thread,  you ask who was that dinner lady in the play ground, well my mum,mrs wright,or mrs cook(sharon,s mum) were dinner ladies for quite a while!,also it was def- mr gibbons who had the club foot!,mr fender was my teacher as was miss palmer and miss payne, them days good ol teachers, also i played footie 4 glencoe and medway later on,(fort luton days)so mr carney was our coach 

Richrat2000

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 21:55:06 »
You were lucky having a ruler.. I had the cane, she had 3 hanging up in her cupboard, sure she gave them names..? I always hoped she would get the thick one out, but it was alway the thinn.
Hated the dreaded walk up that stair case from the hall when you were ordered to her office. I can not remember the canteen at the top of play ground..? Mind you, I never eat school dinners anyway.
Mr Clifford rings a bell with me, maybe it was him with the foot and not Gibbons..? someone will know.. I smiled at the word "units" have not heard that for years. Bet you cant really use it today!!!!

julie

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 21:20:26 »
i remember miss miller she use to go red when she hit you with the ruler she was strict i also remember mr brown mr fender miss payne mr carney etc and who remembers mr  clifford with the club foot use to teach the units and when the canteen was atthe top of playground i can remember the lady at dinners use to be out in playground she was nice does anyone know her name

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 19:13:54 »
It did, I know it failed its OFSTED report. The head teacher has been replaced and changes are being brought in.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 18:06:49 »
From an article in the Guardian of 13th November 2007:
Academies are state-maintained independent schools set up with the help of outside sponsors, to drive up standards by replacing failing schools in struggling education authorities. The government contributes typically about 25m. The private organisation runs the school outside of the local education authority's (LEA) funding control, but still operates it within all the national requirements for curriculum and standards.

So did Glencoe Road School become a 'failing school'?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 16:06:44 »
It will still be a Primary School, but overseen by the grammer School.  I don't really know how these thngs work, maybe someone else can say what sort of input the grammer School will have?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 15:10:28 »
So is it no longer to be a Primary School? What is an academy of another school?

Richrat2000

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 13:24:44 »
oh well, thats more history down the drain, why cant they leave it as it was..? I see they changed the uniform a few years
ago to light blue.. it was green and red when i was there.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 12:09:48 »
The school is becoming an academy under Fort Pitt Grammar School.  Due to these changes it has been decided to change the uniform, colour and logo I believe.  I don't think the designs have been decided yet.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 09:05:26 »
Kyn, do you know the details, please?

Richrat2000, most of those names are familiar. One of my daughters went to Glencoe 1963-1969 and I wonder if you knew her - Caroline Challis.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:40 »
This school is due to change its name and uniform by the end of the school year!

Richrat2000

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 01:42:05 »
Yep.. I also went to the annex by the bus stop.. have you got your school photo from those days..? if so you should be sitting on a rocking horse.
I then went to glencoe infants.. head mistress was Mrs Rabbler.. then over to big glencoe for Mrs Miller, also remember Mr Brown, Mrs payne, Mr Bird, Mr Carney,
also a Mrs Parmer rings a bell with me..? also a Mr Gibbon or Gibbens, walked with two walking sticks.
left in 69-70 for fort luton.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines