News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Glencoe School Chatham  (Read 43363 times)

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
Re: glencoe school chatham
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 21:44:26 »
I remember a few years ago having to call at the school in connection with work and went into the lower entrance and turned right into where my first class room (Mr Bailey)  was and found the school office.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 21:39:48 »
Thanks Numanfan. Maybe the photos are only recent ones, but has the school changed over the years?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

chathamhammer

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:41:52 »
remember miss payne because she was my teacher,also mr bird(who took us for football practice,always reminded me of bobby charlton)and mr carney because i played football for glencoe we even won the cronian cup(think that how it was spelt) beating barnsole school up on chatham football ground in which was only a minutes walk from where i lived, mr carney was our coach them days,miss rablah was in the infants,did have a photo somewhere of our class with her in it,also on freinds re-united  someone has put the same  photo on it.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 21:52:35 »
My personal contact with the school was as a member of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) Committee. There was an acute shortage of teachers about that time, causing over-size classes and empty classrooms, and the PTA was supporting a campaign to increase teachers’ pay, although I can’t remember the details.
On second thoughts, it wasn’t so much the teacher shortage being caused by low pay, as Kent County Council not allowing schools to fill vacant posts (something to do with public spending cuts, if you can imagine such things :)), and the PTA was involved in direct correspondence with KCC – I now remember a bit of a row because somebody at KCC got upset and the Headteacher was getting some flak. Mr Brown was one of the teacher reps on the PTA and was influential in sorting it out – as Mikeb says, a real gentleman.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 20:14:45 »
Smiler, a couple more names come to mind:-
Miss Miller, infants head, Miss Millgate, (who I met again in Much later life), Miss Rablah I recall, what an unusual name.
Mr Richards, boys juniors, a teacher keen to make his point via physical methods!! Mr Brown who was a gentleman as was Mr Carney, whom you mention, was a keen footballer. Mr Fender of the bushy moustache. I recall Mr Richardson used to teach arithmetic once a week to the senior class (Mr Browns class). Mr Wade who tried to teach music. Happy Days indeed, looking back, but at the time..................

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:36 »
Mr Richardson was head C1950/55. He had a little Austin Ruby?, the ONLY person in the whole school, as I recall, who had a car at that time.
Mr Yates had a motorbike best teacher I ever had  could be strict if need be but normally very friendly used to tell some great stories about being in the jungle during the war. Still think how Mr Richardson would say good morning boys and we had to salute and answer good morning sir good morning teachers, I left there in 1954 anyone know how long this practice went on for? Miss Biss a huge women was secretary cant think if she was infants or juniors.

Offline prb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 15:37:43 »
Your right peterchall Mr bailey english teacher at Troy Town

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14:17 »
My wife went there from 1934 to 1942. There was no White Road Annexe, the whole school (known as an Elementary School) being sited in the main building in Glencoe Road and divided into ‘Infants’ (mixed) and ‘Senior’(?) (separate Boys’ and Girls’).

She remembers that a Miss Curtis was head of the Infants. In the Seniors there was Miss Cork (“a proper school marm, you learnt a lot from her because you had to or else!”), Miss Morse, and Miss Brazier; a Miss Hall was evacuated with her group to South Wales. Note that all female teachers were ‘Miss’ - they had to leave the job if they married.

In later years we had a daughter go there from 1959 to 1965, and another from 1963 to 1969. We remember Miss Bassett (but my wife thinks she was 'Mrs'), Mr Bailey (wasn't he a Boys' School teacher?), and Mr Richardson. Does anyone remember Miss Payne (or  Paine?), Mrs Rablah, Mrs Singleton (married female teachers now acceptable), Mr Carney, and Mr Bird? Mr Brown, mentioned by Lutonman, was the same Mr Brown who taught me at St John’s School, Chatham, in 1939.

My personal contact with the school was as a member of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) Committee. There was an acute shortage of teachers about that time, causing over-size classes and empty classrooms, and the PTA was supporting a campaign to increase teachers’ pay, although I can’t remember the details.

Has anyone any photos of the school? :)

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 14:11:17 »
I have an autograph of his (Mr Richardson) dated January 1960 that's the year I left. Also a Mr Brown in the same year, he was my last teacher at Glencoe.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:25 »
Mr Richardson was head C1950/55. He had a little Austin Ruby?, the ONLY person in the whole school, as I recall, who had a car at that time.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 19:11:32 »
I left there in 1961 but started in the annex at White Road started with a Miss Bassett and then to the infants (Buller Road?) and then on to the Tech.

I think remember Mr Bailey as my Form Teacher but Mr Richardson as the Head master at the Juniors in an office high up over looking the hall.

chathamhammer

Glencoe School Chatham
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:47:55 »
anyone on here  go to glencoe school in chatham from 60,s, early 70,s, i went to glencoe annexes when it was by the white road bus stop green,and then moved down to the big school in 67,,before going to fort luton, them days you either went to fort luton or highfield unless you passed for the tech school, do remember my old school mate and strangley next door neighbour chris dickie being sent to warren wood,but his mum fought hard and nail to get him to go to luton,especially as we lived in underdown avenue,a cul de sac off kitchener road, would love to hear from anyone especiallyif you got memories

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines