News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ramsgate Micro Museum  (Read 582 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
Re: Ramsgate Micro Museum
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:33 »
Twenty odd years ago we took our sons to the Science Museum (one of my favourite places when young - all those buttons to press...) and in there were items that I could say "look granny had one of those", then "I had one of those when I was your age" and then most horribly "I've still got one of those..."

I suspect that it won't have got better, and there will be a much larger range of my possessions on view. One man's junk etc..
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:15:38 »
I was in a museum and saw a showcase board containing coins labelled Old Money. Made to feel ancient when I looked closer and  saw it was our pre-decimal Pounds shillings and pence. :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 21:13:24 »
You're right - it's weird to see things you had that were considered leading edge at the time now on show as historic curiosities. Still, I suppose in the 1930's a wax phonograph cylinder would have been looked upon in the same way.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
Ramsgate Micro Museum
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 19:03:01 »
Not exactly sure how to classify this one, but has anyone been to The Micro Museum, billed as "The Museum of Vintage Computers, Video Gaming & Microelectronics" at Ramsgate, http://www.themicromuseum.org/ ?
Any good?

And opening up a whole can of worms - when does "history" start? I'd guess many KHF readers would be older than most of the exhibits in that museum. In the Bradford National Science and Media Museum, I saw the exact same model of digital camera that my mother's still using!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines