News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Darland Banks, Gillingham.  (Read 24245 times)

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
Re: Darland Banks,Gillingham.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 18:08:49 »
Im not entirely sure where the storage tank is but looking at a 1929-1952 online map theres Darland Brick Works one side of Pear Tree Lane with a quarry and tramway on the other.

You can view the maps here: http://extranet7.kent.gov.uk/klis/default.asp (For some reason the link doesnt work properly in Firefox for me, I have to use Internet Explorer)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 16:02:24 »
Track for the construction of Fort Darland?

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 13:44:37 »
Wow! Talk about coincidence! I was talking to my son about the self-same area this morning. I spent many a time in the early-mid 60's playing here and going down into the storage tanks. There was also a tall chimney there as well but that must have been demolished. I'm surprised that so much has survived.

Incidently, does anyone know of a narrow guage railway that ran close to here? It was over the other side of Pear Tree Lane to this site. Down an overgrown pathway there are rails that cross it in one part about halfway down.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:40 »
I was not aware of the bomb crater in the woods at Darland, but when walking up there a few years ago after snowfall had made ground features stand out in the woods I found what I am certain was an artllery gun-pit. All dug out with the spoil used to creat a rampart all around with a definate entry point to the rear. It was well overgrown but the snow had brought into sharp relief. I'd never spotted it before. I went back recently and couldn't find it! I think it might have dated from the 1907 Chatham Siege Exercise that saw the 'new' fortifications put to the test. Apparently the area around Ambley Woods was a jumping-off point
for the attacking forces approaching Chatham from the east.

It would appear that 'someone' from the council Green Spaces Team is filling-in historic features without knowing what they might be destroying!

paul_f

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 22:32:24 »
Hi Richard,
The Dene Holes up near the Darland Banks are down in Grove wood near Darland farm.

There are two near each other in the bit of the wood right next to the field:

Here: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=sjsp9gh1djf2&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24348820&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Also check out this post  ;)
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=775.0

The hole off Star Lane (closed off to traffic part) is also
 worth a look...i'm not sure if it was a Dene Hole or not though.

Apparently where that hole is there used to be a house, my girlfriends father remembers it (I also have a postcard with a picture of it).  I'll try and scan the card

merc

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:19:17 »
Hi Richard,
The Dene Holes up near the Darland Banks are down in Grove wood near Darland farm.

There are two near each other in the bit of the wood right next to the field:

Here: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=sjsp9gh1djf2&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24348820&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Also check out this post  ;)
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=775.0

The hole off Star Lane (closed off to traffic part) is also worth a look...i'm not sure if it was a Dene Hole or not though.

Roffensis

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:42 »
HI! I was fascinated by the photos posted here. I knew for years that there are Deneholes on the Darland Banks, but I never found a single one!! Not for looking I might add!! These photos clearly indicate one!! Now I want to go and see if I can find this, where is it please? I was always intrigued by the circle of trees up on the banks, to the east side of Darland Avenue. Does anyone remember the old wooden stiles there leading to the ring of trees? And the Cuckoos? And loads of Acorns!! What intrigued me was the chalk pit in the middle of the circle of trees. Another Denehole is of course at Fort Amherst, where you can look up into it from below. Well worth seeing. Philip Ro
gers in his History of Gillingham goes into much detail concerning the Deneholes in Gillingham, including a plan of one. In those days you could look down onto the little farm with the Oasthouse, and the road at the bottom was a mere track. That was in the 60s. All you heard was Crickets. Wonderful!!

R

Dave Weller

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 20:22:51 »
There was a 'man of the roads', living out there, it could be his hole. Did anyone look around the houses that are being built by the Waggon at Hale, I often found old pottery and clay pipes around the back, It is the best area to build on IMHO.
There are some interesting structures in the woods on the other side of the roundabout from the Waggon. I think an old Waterboard used it.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:37:38 »
Its now a large treeless flat area Merc, I should be going back in a few months so will post a pic if no-one beats me to it!

merc

Darland Banks, Gillingham.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 23:20:35 »
I had a look around the Darland Banks and Ambley woods today...

On the way,just off the closed section of Star Lane i found this hole  ;D
I decided not to go inside,but it was big enough once you squeezed in the entrance.
I'm not sure if it was a natural hole or manmade,maybe remains of a Denehole (The ones i posted pics of on another post are in a nearby wood)
Just outside the entrance was bricks and tiles etc in the undergrowth.

Inside

Then i went up the hill to t
he Darland Banks...

I think i remember seeing a ropeswing here before ???

and inside Ambley woods...
I looked everywhere but couldn't find that 1917 Bomb Crater.
I think Kyn's right...It's been filled in :(

This might be what remains of it  ???

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines