News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fullalove alley- Batchelor St, Chatham  (Read 5463 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Online filmer01

• Appreciation 9
Re: Fullalove alley- Batchelor St, Chatham
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 18:51:19 »
A quick check of my family history, and in 1851 Census part of the Williams family (my paternal grandmother's family name) were living at 2 Fullalove Alley. He was a ropemaker at HM Dockyard.

The Census runs Brook, then Bonney's Alley (or Larkins Alley is noted on the last two entries) then Fullalove Alley where it stops. A quick head count, about 8 pages at 20 per page, so 160 souls in that little passage.

His widow went on to have the Earl of Chatham beerhouse in the Brook, where she died in 1884.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 14:44:16 »
FullaLove alley was more of a covered passageway at its High street end - the man on the far left in the first photo in KeithJG's post is standing in the entrance. After about twenty yards or so it opened out into the view seen in the original picture.

The view is definitely looking north toward the Brook - I have a slightly clearer version of the original picture here, cropped to show the distant view. Unfortunately I can't find a much better view of the building that can be seen, but you can see it in the 1907 Brook photo included here. It's the building in the middle with the steep roof.

As you can see, it's very similar to the "Oxfam" building facing the other end, so the mistake is understandable.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 12:48:23 »
A little insight into the neighbourhood until around 1890.
......"the opening of a temperance cafe at the corner of Holborn Lane could be taken as signs that Chatham was gradually changing, the ultimate symbol of this surely be the death, and resurrection, in a new guise, of the Kings Head which lay on the Brook facing Fullalove Alley. Thanks to its use as a brothel by soldiers and sailors, this remarkable pub was infamous throughout the world as a place of vice and debauchery."

Brian Joyce 'The Chatham Scandal' (Baggins Chatham 1999).

KeithJG

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 16:04:13 »
Just found one of my cards and the entrance to the alley must be by the man on the left a sign is above on the house.

I think the wording my be wrong for the original tinted picture as when high lighted the building in the distance is the now and has been for years the Oxfam shop in the High Street.

Online redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 19:53:56 »
Lovely looking old houses, In the heart of Chatham but all of them never had en-suite.
redge

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 14:42:21 »
Looks like the old Weights and Measures building in Batchelor Street is now in the process of being demolished. The facade still seems to be intact at the moment.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 17:54:36 »

I'd say the photo was taken about halfway down looking towards the Brook. You'd think that after redevelopment it would have been called FullaLove street, but this might have been a bit too much for Victorian sensibilities at the time :-O

patmore

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 13:50:36 »
http://http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/
You will find it - and lots more interesting photos,here.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 21:06:01 »
That is a brilliant picture patmore, where did you find it?  I think it is the first image I have seen of Full o' love Alley (or whichever spelling variation you want to use).
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 18:56:21 »
Brilliant picture Patmore,its a shame these buildings arent still there,however inpractical it was to keep them !

chathamhammer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:07 »
earlier i posted on the book review -the chatham scandal, it mentions Fullalove alley quite a few times also Red cat lane and Holborn Lane and also a great chapter on st barts hospital which opened in 1863 as a state -run lock hosptal

patmore

Fullalove alley- Batchelor St, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 13:12:30 »

Fullalove alley- Batchelor St. 1898. How awful living conditions must have been.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines