News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Brook Chatham  (Read 7503 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
Re: The Brook Chatham
« Reply #37 on: Today at 13:44:20 »
St.Mary's Place during its demolition in 1941.

I'm not sure why resources were diverted into taking this building down during the middle of the war, you would think that there were more important things to deal with at this time. The historic Dickens connection was obviously not enough to save it.

Note the Chatham & District bus stop visible toward the left.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:46 »
No overhead power lines for the trams.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 21:15:20 »
That's it, HERB COLLECTOR. The little girl on the left seems to be in proportion, but if you have a look at the figure on the right, he's way to small in relation to the doors.

It wouldn't surprise me about the railings not being there in earlier times (health and safety not a priority in those days). I must try to find a copy of The Chatham Scandal sometime - I've known about it for ages and it sounds like a really good read. Brian Joyce was due to give a talk about the Brook for the Chatham Historical Society recently. I was going to go along, but it looks like it had to be cancelled for some reason.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 20:51:22 »
The people are too small, it reminds me of 1950's car adverts in which the people were drawn small to make the cars look bigger!
The front of the beer house seems out of proportion, the doors are too tall.
Ode to Joy Beethoven

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 20:48:23 »

The railings along Smithfield Bank are not present in this picture - I can only assume that the artist omitted them for the sake of clarity. There is another thing slightly odd about this painting, does anyone else see what it is?

In 'The Chatham Scandal' Brian Joyce (Baggins Books 1999) there is painting of the same area from 1841-1861 (dated from individuals in the painting) which also indicates that there were no railings until fairly modern times. 

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 234
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 20:17:46 »
Or he appears to be wearing little more than a loin cloth  :)
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 19:07:32 »
The chap leaning against the wall seems to have his head and shoulders behind the pailing fence?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 17:06:15 »
This is a painting dated 1919 showing the Running Horse beer house which was situated at No.73 The Brook. Crown House now occupies this site. Pretty much directly opposite this view you would find St.Mary's Place, which is where John Dickens and his family lived from 1821-22.

The railings along Smithfield Bank are not present in this picture - I can only assume that the artist omitted them for the sake of clarity. There is another thing slightly odd about this painting, does anyone else see what it is?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 17:29:51 »
This is a "before and after" view of the Brook, it looks like the top picture may have been taken sometime during the early '50s.

I used to have some information regarding the large building on the right but I seem to have misplaced it. I believe it was a lodging house and that it was a bit more "up market" than most of the others to be found in this area. As you can see, the bridge goes right through where it used to be. The pub next door was the Swan, with the King William IV further down.The Salvation Army home is visible on the far left.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:18 »
Hi Smiffy, remember that building well,it had the name painted on the roof in white paint  you could read it from the lines ,

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 21:28:29 »
Situated on the corner of Nelson Road, the Salvation Army Naval & Military Home was opened in February 1905.

I'm not sure when the Salvation Army stopped using it, probably sometime during the 1950's. It was demolished in the 1970's prior to the construction of the Pentagon centre.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 22:17:54 »
It seems funny seeing bus stops outside the Town Hall and on that bank now. I didn't move up to the towns until early 1961 so wouldn't have seen this anyway, but you can just see the chimney and end gable of the little house next door to the pub in this pic.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 20:37:52 »
This is the next bus stop along from the one seen in reply #10.

Dated 1959, this must have been just before the Smithfield Bank was removed. I can only assume it was taken out in order to enable vehicular access from the Brook, perhaps in preparation for the new Police Station.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 09:38:21 »
I can't remember ever having seen that little house before. I only know the pub (of course) and I think it was the house the right side of which can be seen in the pic was where old Tom Wimble the taxi company owner used to live.
AlanH. 

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 17:26:41 »
This interesting little house was situated at No.9 the Brook. The building visible on the left is the side of the Army & Navy pub (now Churchills) and the photograph dates from 1962. I wonder who would have lived in a house like this? If only we could go "through the keyhole" to find out!  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines