News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sandwich Bay  (Read 17202 times)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
Re: Sandwich Bay
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 11:24:39 »
Although the Winget huts at Downs farm may have been used by the TA Gunners, they were, according to the records, built for the school of musketry during ww1 and was all part of the Richborough Port project.

Thanks for your correction,Doug. It was a snippet of information I came across whilst looking through some papers in the Guildhall archives, and it could well have stated 'used by' as opposed to 'built for', I will have to have another look. [Note to self: make a note of the exact wording next time..!] Now, as you've mentioned the school of musketry, do the records have any more info on them and their activities at Sandwich Bay..? I've noticed on old maps the presence of shooting ranges in the area..

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 17:15:11 »
Although the Winget huts at Downs farm may have been used by the TA Gunners, they were, according to the records, built for the school of musketry during ww1 and was all part of the Richborough Port project.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 19:29:30 »
I have discovered that the 'Winget' concrete buildings at Old Downs Farm were provided in WW1 for the Territorials manning the gun batteries at Sandwich Bay, and I have seen a reference to the tramway being used by the military in WW1, so that would seem to tie in with that, which then leads to the next question,- does anyone know any more about the Territorials and their guns..?  :)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 19:07:03 »
I think the spur to Old Downs Farm was a WW1 addition, this map is dated 1908, also as we know from photographic evidence there was also track in front of the Guilford Hotel at the top of the beach, so the tracks were extended at some stage - clearly a subject for more research..!  :)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 08:53:56 »
DS239     -

Excellent link  -  thank you !

The lines can be seen fanning out to serve the construction of the estate, however the spur across Guilford Road to Downs Farm & the locoshed is not shown.

I can remember cycling across the railheads of the spur track crossing Guilford Road in the 1950s.

The 'main line' was laid a few yards to one side of Guilford Road rather than in the road itself.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 21:40:04 »
OS map showing the entire route of the tramway: http://maps.nls.uk/view/101429667

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 19:38:31 »
Cheers helcion, it's a really interesting site with some nice old OS maps.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 19:13:29 »
TowerWill   -

Thanks,  I'll take a look.

Cheers

Helcion     

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 16:38:07 »
I would have done helcion but it's got "Old Map" watermarks plastered over it .I don't suppose they'll mind me showing bits of their maps as i've purchased loads in the past (but not that one). If i recall it was an early 20th C. map, with the area found by inputting "Waldershare Avenue, Sandwich Bay Estate". The site is "Old Maps.co".

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 11:58:03 »
TowerWill   -

Your interesting map extract on 2/9/11  -

Would be even more interesting if you could 'zoom back' a bit & show whereabouts on Waldershare Avenue was the loop & junction & where the spur went to.

Thanks / Cheers

Helcion

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 16:56:02 »
From an old O.S. map.
What looks like a passing loop and spur line on the tramway next to Waldershare Avenue,Sandwich Bay Estate.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:07:46 »
A photo of Guildford Warf taken on 19/01/10.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 23:55:03 »
Many thanks Howard for the very interesting article about the tramway.The purpose of the line was for building the Sandwich Bay Estate as i thought.My partner lived near Waldershare Park when she was young and the Guilford name is well known in the area.As a schoolboy i often saw Guilford Wharf on our walks to the Bay but didn't know its purpose then.
I was a guard on the coal trains working the EKLR on the Shepherdswell to Tilmanstone Colliery section.If some of the plans had gone ahead i might have worked to Sandwich as well.It might have become like South Wales with steel works etc.Good job some of the plans didn't go ahead as far as Sandwich was concerned.I see the line crossing the Stour from Richborough Port is mentioned.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 14:32:05 »
Article as promised - I hope it's legible!
I'm taking my boat down the Stour in January, I'll try to remember to take some photos of the warf.

r />

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 11:51:45 »
Thanks Doug and Howard for the info.Look forward to Howard's article regarding the tramway.I've dug out my copy of "Kent And The Cinque Ports" by H.R.Pratt Boorman(M.B.E.,M.A.,F.J.I.) which is full of photos.I purchased it in 1966 so it could well be out of print but it is very useful for people with an interest in the history of this part of Kent.I found a couple of photos in it of the Richborough Port/Phizers area from the air.I can make out some overgrown railway lines including where they cross the Stonar Cut.Four electric cranes can be seen(i climbed up into the cab of one these) but i can't find any photos of the tramway area. 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines