News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gravesend Town Pier  (Read 11510 times)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
Re: Gravesend Town Pier
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:19 »
Their website says the 4 windmills generate 50% of the Tilbury docks needs. At least it is usually windy in Gravesend Reach.....
mmitch.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 18:34:31 »
Not such a clear photo as Merc's one, but look at what has sprouted up on the other side of the river.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 13:17:06 »
Another couple of memories evoked.  I can recall, having arrived at the Tilbury side, looking up at the 'enormous' liners crowded with those emigrating. This must have been some time in the 60's.  I can recall the noise, the decks packed with people waving and cheering, streamers etc. And the groups of people standing on the quay waving goodbye and crying.  I also used to play a guessing game with my dad, to see how many ships countries I could get correct by identifying the flags on the numerous ships that were always there.
(hope I have not gone too much off topic!)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:03 »
As kids in the 50s Dad used to take us over to Tilbury on a Sunday morning to see the ocean liners up close. One of the engineers was a near neighbour and we could look down through the decks and wave to Vic. I can still see his grimy face grinning up at us!
mmitch.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:23 »
Thanks RogerGunkel, your memories stirred up many nostalgic ones for me, travelling on the old ferries with my parents.  Even as late as in the 70's I used to take my daughter to Southend on day trips (no longer steam)..

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 00:04:35 »
Nice atmospheric description   -   thank you.

Offline RogerGunkel

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 22:51:04 »
Between about 1954 and 1959 I often went across to Tilbury on the passenger ferry with my Parents to catch the train from Tilbury to Southend for a day trip. I remember seeing the river through the gaps in the floor boards in the pier waiting room, while we waited for the old steam ferry to come in.

In the latter part of the Autumn, the family would go to see the Southend illuminations, getting back to Tilbury for the last ferry. That was always the best part of the day for me, particularly if it was a cold night. We would head down into the saloon and I remember the smell of the oil lamps and the warm glow they gave out. If it was really cold, most of the late night passengers would stay on the deck and huddle around the big grating above the engine room. It was several feet square and raised about  three feet above deck level. Down in the engine room below you could see a big pile of coal and a man in vest and trousers, covered with dust streaked sweat shovelling coal into the boiler. The rising heat would warm the passengers faces and upper bodies while the cold river winds swirled around their legs.

Sometimes there would be a shower of sparks from the funnel and the smell of smoke blowing in the wind. Then it was docking by the light of oil lamps and walking up the high street to catch a late bus home.

Sometimes we were too late for the passenger ferry, so it was back across on the car ferry to the other pier. The car ferry was very different, with it's open car deck and minimal seating. We would usually go below into the saloon area which was very basic indeed. Hard wooden slatted seats around the sides of a bare steel hull, with paint streaked portholes halfway up the hull. The lights were stark electric bulkhead lights with wire guards over them and it was always cold. The thumping of the engine added to the depressing feel and I was always glad to get off.

Roger

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 17:51:13 »
I.P.M (Imperial Paper mills)  :)
mmitch.

Offline Joedest

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 16:55:34 »
A neighbour of the town pier in its Hey Day. Do you Remember it?

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:06 »
The diesel ferries that replaced the steam vessels.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:50:45 »
Some pictures of the earlier steam passenger and car ferries .
Ted

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:31:33 »
One of the fuel barges moores further down on the Essex shore under the QE2 bridge right at the fuel terminal. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:56:20 »
A new pontoon has been planned to allow Cruise ship passengers to alight there.
When the car ferries stopped in the 1960s, the passenger ferry moved to the old car ferry pier.
I used to use the modern passenger ferries (with the hydraulic ramps) from there.
Regarding the water and fuel boats. I have recently seen them moored on buoys by the St. Andrews centre. The other side of te Royal Terrace pier.
mmitch.

paedrig

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 21:32:01 »
There used to be a pair of dolphins at the piers head which more often than not Crawleys had a water barge or two hanging off.  Maybe whats there now were replacements?

Online redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 20:36:54 »
G P S drove new pylons in the shore off the pier then disappeared. Why ?
redge

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines