News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gravesend Town Pier  (Read 11865 times)

paedrig

Re: Gravesend Town Pier
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 19:40:52 »
It was either owned by or leased to Crawleys in the early 70s to mid 80s (I think) who operated water and fuel bunker barges on the Thames. It was not open to the public as it served as their office.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 18:44:19 »
Assuming that is where the Tilbury ferry went from it waas open at least until 1981, used to take the kids "abroad" to Tilbury Fort   :)
Yep, the passenger ferries:  Catherine; Rose and Edith used the pier whereas the car ferries: Tessa and Mimie used the pier that the passenger ferries use today.
I also remember the old steam ferries, and the three deisel ferries of the same names that replaced them.

Derek  (man-of-kent)
Derek Brice

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 13:49:28 »
Assuming that is where the Tilbury ferry went from it waas open at least until 1981, used to take the kids "abroad" to Tilbury Fort   :)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 13:22:09 »
Does anyone know when it ceased being used?  My father used it daily to catch the ferry and travel over to Grays to work, and of course I remember using it as a child as we had relatives over there.  At that time it was the old ferries with the gas lights.  There was a ticket office on the pier, seats to wait on until the ferry was in when you would be allowed down the ramp and onto it.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 19:38:54 »
Before the restaurant opened, the public were allowed onto the pier
just like they did in the 50s. They should encourage it again.
mmitch.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 18:31:49 »
Hi Merc,

This pier used to have a very good Italian restaurant on it, which gave lovely views of the river traffic and an even closer view of the river through the floor boards! 

merc

Gravesend Town Pier
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 19:21:28 »
Gravesend's Town Pier is the world's oldest remaining cast iron pier and was built in 1834 as a passenger pier. Perhaps the most striking aspect is the colour mosaic at the front of the pier depicting the Gravesend Watermen's Riot of 1833. Many of the colonial settlers departed for their new lives from this pier, as did many of the crews involved in the early voyages of discovery.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines