News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: F Bannister, Motorcycle Dealers in Railway Street, Chatham  (Read 4419 times)

KeithJG

Re: F Bannister, Motorcycle Dealers in Railway Street, Chatham
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 17:34:58 »
I do remember F. Bannister's place quite well and there was always a lot going on.

One of the reasons I kept on visiting apart from my mate working there was the fact that my scooter was the GT200 and it was the larger capacity bike compared with the 175cc which the GT200 was based on and because of this the whole bike vibrated as the engine mountings were too small and also the rings kept breaking due to the large exhaust port on the engine.

I was always at the spares counter and the tall thin storeman did get to know me well (I cannot remember his name) as they could not keep up with supplying me with rebored cylinders etc. as they were on a part exchange system.

I collected my scooter on Saturday 25th July 1964 from F.Bannisters garage up at Frindsbury on the hill by Billstreet Road as that was where i lived. 

Pictures courtesy of NA3T shows a tanker accident but you can see the name on the wall and also the pump where I used to fill up from. They were a "National" petrol station.

The door between those two cars on the hill was the entrance to their showroom where I first saw my bike before I bought it for 199.17.6p

Me on the bike just after collecting.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 15:30:10 »
Hi  Keithjg. As mentioned before, re times at Grays/Bannisters, I left school at 15 and started  work at Grays in 59. I can remember the names of all the staff there. I then  moved to  Bannisters. Norman Gray asked me to stay on, but I wanted to try  a different firm. Working for Bannisters was such a change, I did crash rebuilds of all types, I serviced and road tested police  Triumphs. Quite a change. Ted Jelf, Bernie  Marshall, Mr Smith (Manager), Mr Baker (Sales). Rode and drove many vehicles  bonnies E types, Jenson; they dealt  with many cars as things moved on. I was there for about three years and then moved on to Langdown Garage, Snodhurst Avenue.

KeithJG

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 12:17:42 »
@ Ajemp.....   "I worked   for Grays from 59.......til 65 . then moved on to Frank  Bannisters"

There is not much history attached to F.Bannister and would be interesting if you could remember your times there also as at Grays?

As I bought my Lambretta from F. Bannister and also my school friend did his apprenticeship there as a motor mechanic in the mid `60`s, I was always around there as well.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 20:42:46 »
Key Gate (Reliant Dealers).

Offline sharmuk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 22:01:36 »
Garage in Railway Street: The first premises through the viaduct. I can?t remember the name. Reliant dealers.

They were for a time in the seventies a Mazda dealer when Japanese cars weren't very common over here and the brand so rare that at school we thought they were made by a lightbulb company...
"He's the hairy handed gent who ran amuck in Kent"

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 13:32:06 »
This one is a cross-over from the 'Old Writing On Walls' thread, at the time it couldn't be read!
It's  F BANNISTER, motorcycle dealers in Railway Street, Chatham. ( Not sure what the middle line says though).
It looks like the premises have been taken over by the TAP'N'TIN club/bar.
The last line could well be motor cycles - first letter is an M, and the fifth could easily be an R. But we probably knew that anyway.
Can't really make anything more out, even with taking the photo into Photoshop and messing around with contrast and all sorts of settings. Might have a try with some of the other illegible ones later - it's surprising what detail you can get to sometimes. Maybe the full resolution original might give up some secrets if you play with the settings in Photoshop/whatever photo editing software.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
F Bannister, Motorcycle Dealers in Railway Street, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:18:41 »
This one is a cross-over from the 'Old Writing On Walls' thread, at the time it couldn't be read!

It's  F BANNISTER, motorcycle dealers in Railway Street, Chatham. ( Not sure what the middle line says though).

It looks like the premises have been taken over by the TAP'N'TIN club/bar.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines