News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Highsted Chalk Quarry  (Read 13954 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Highsted Chalk Quarry
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 19:15:22 »
Just found these very old photos in the family `archives`. All details written on the back except the date.

Smeed Deans Highsted Quarry Main Engine

Smeed Deans Highsted Quarry Digger, Boiler House, Engine Room & Wash Mills

Smeed Deans Highsted Quarry Boiler House

See photo below (removed by photobucket)

A Rare Find

Highsted Chalk Quarry
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 21:46:37 »
Hi ,
       The scouts and Cubs were once allowed to have events in the old pit on the east side of Highsted Road until early 70's There was a company that wanted to create a dinosaur theme park in there quite a few years ago but APCM wouldnt sell if I remember correctly..     I took my kids through the tunnel in 1978. Had to scramble over rubble that had been pushed into both ends but got through easily.My youngest was 3 at the time . The tunnel wasnt very long just enough lenth to pass under th road with some to spare. It was light all through.There was an old dr
agline bucket excavator rusting away in the newer chalkpit on the Tunstall side of Highsted road. The rifle club were using some buildings there . ( I think they are still).
     While you are in the newer pit I dont know if you could still find the large bore pipeline that carried the chalk slurry underground all the way to the APCM cement works at Lower Murston. (Creek side of where the Central Park Greyhound Track is now.) It was located by 2 fairly large rectangular concrete bases that had the Pump Sheds on.There was also an Archeological dig years ago and Roman Skellibums were found near the bases.
     Lucky you didn,t get arrested APCM or the holding company were/are hot about people going in the pits.

Regards Rog

Thanks for that info, as regards entry the fences are all breached along the Highsted road, and plenty of evidence of children using the area as a playground with rope tarzan swings etc. There is now a large new housing development right alongside the chalkpit. I only met some dog walkers though.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Highsted Chalk Quarry
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 19:43:36 »
Hi ,
       The scouts and Cubs were once allowed to have events in the old pit on the east side of Highsted Road until early 70's There was a company that wanted to create a dinosaur theme park in there quite a few years ago but APCM wouldn`t sell if I remember correctly..     I took my kids through the tunnel in 1978. Had to scramble over rubble that had been pushed into both ends but got through easily.My youngest was 3 at the time . The tunnel wasn`t very long just enough length to pass under the road with some to spare. It was light all through.There was an old dragline bucket excavator rusting away in the newer chalkpit on the Tunstall side of Highsted road. The rifle club were using some buildings there . ( I think they are still).
     While you are in the newer pit, I don`t know if you could still find the large bore pipeline that carried the chalk slurry underground all the way to the APCM cement works at Lower Murston. (Creek side of where the Central Park Greyhound Track is now.) It was located by 2 fairly large rectangular concrete bases that had the Pump Sheds on.There was also an Archeological dig years ago and Roman Skellibums were found near the bases.
     Lucky you didn`t get arrested, APCM or the holding company were/are hot about people going in the pits.

Regards Rog

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines