News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: War Time Bus Photo  (Read 689 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: War Time Bus Photo
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:57 »
    This photo is shown as being 1940 in Kent a Chronicle of the Century by Bob Ogley
    With the message "Just room for buses between the road blocks in Maidstone. Hitler's tanks will have far more trouble"

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 21:59:05 »
The bus was on service 33, to T.Wells via East Peckham, so yes it would go via Barming lutonman1.
Also note the white paint on the mud guards, a common wartime aid to night driving with reduced headlights. Was this feature a legal requirement or a voluntary addition for safety does anyone know?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 13:36:14 »
Good point, smiffy. I could not see enough of the headlights, to comment.
Where is the bus going to, Barming way, or ?.  The number, I can`t read.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 13:53:56 »
Looks like the headlamp deflectors are still fitted - wouldn't these have come off?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:05:43 »
Not wartime, because there is no anti bomb blast tape over shop windows. Looking for other clues.The two men in trilby hats look out of place, judging by the other people, no hats. Telegraph poles have white coverings, at the base, but look dirty, would have had fresh white paint, to see them, in the dark, it would have been pitch black, except for the tiny bus lights.
MoK

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 23:27:44 »
It is likely to have been an officially sanctioned shot, to have stood there with a camera in war time and taken defence structures would have meant instant arrest. But it could be early post-war and intended as a `why have these obstacles not been shifted` message.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
War Time Bus Photo
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 16:04:09 »
I recently came across this imagine which I think ticks a couple of boxes of interest to KHF people!
  • Maidstone Bridge showing the anti tank defences C1940.

• A Maidstone & District bus, which always promotes interest. It is a Leyland TD4 with a Shorts of Rochester body. New in 1935 it was withdrawn C1951 /2.

The photo is not mine, and I do not know it's origin nor the photographer in order to credit.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines