News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buses  (Read 35606 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Buses
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 08:12:50 »
A nice collection of pictures!Delboy's pictures of buses in the Market Square reminded me of being there one very hot day probably between 1968 and 1971.This big articulated lorry came out of Castle Street and turned right around the roundabout to go up Cannon Street.Many of us will have noticed tarmac turning soft in hot weather,well the inevitable happened and the lorry's trailer wheels pushed the tarmac up into ridges.They were there next to the roundabout for ages.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
Buses
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 20:54:34 »
Dellboy--that pic of the market Square, posted today 14th feb. Is that the Pelosi coffee bar opposite Nat West Bank?  A reminder of my misspent youth in early 50's, playing the juke box!! Sounds soft by today's standards !

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
Buses
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 19:20:45 »
one more from the M&D and East Kent Car museum. This is where the Cannon St. shell landed and the damage is under repair. You can see the bus crew standing in front of the bus and there are some people aboard.I would assume that they reversed into Market Street and then went off up the town when ready,delboy

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
Buses
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 15:37:03 »
These are some p/cards and photos that I have collected. A couple I got from the M&D and East Kent Bus Club a few years ago. The adverts are from  1923 and 1935 Dover guides.

patmore

Buses
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 14:42:45 »
 I posted this on another thread recently. If it had a half cab and a door at the back it was a real bus, when I was a young lad the only difference was that red and cream buses were 'seaside buses'!
                                                            James

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Buses
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 21:31:24 »
Interesting to see so much on Busses. There is a Maidstone Trolley Bus at the Carlton Coalville transpsort museum near Lowestoft. I damn near put the car in a ditch when I saw a Brown and Cream double decker with 'Bull Inn Barming' on the roller blind. I know it is not Kent but the post on the Hastings Trolley bus; is it really diesel engined now? I saw it about two years ago on the Autoroute just North East of Verne in Belgium. It was towing a trailer with a couple of thick cables leading up to the trolley poles. The trailer did look like a generator. She was doing about 25mph at the time. I was one of the many HGV drivers caught out by the speed, or lack of, and nearly remodeled the rear end of the machine......... Hey Ho
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
Buses
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 19:31:30 »
I've just come across a load of scanned photos of Sheppey in a relatives folder, don't know where from, but these two buses were amongst them.  They look a bit blurred, as it looks as if they were enlarged, but thought they might be of interest. Had a quick check, but couldn't see them already posted.

NB:  Yippee DB.   Photobucket worked!!

A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

gully

Buses
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 15:18:22 »

Quality is not the best but is very close to that published originally

Must really wonder with limited equipment how much work it was to remove a Bus Body and replace with Truck [Whops Lorry] Body

gully

Buses
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 18:56:49 »
Reading with interest stories from the Buses.
My late Father worked for M&D from post war until we Emigrated to Canada in 1957. I think mostly at Gravesend but sometime in Gillingham.

Living in Luton we knew many of the Conductors which worked great for as a Kid as very often they would 'forget' to collect my fare. Gave me some extra spending money.

After reading this discussion I remembered I have several issues of Inside Only which appears to be a M&D and Hasting Tramways newsletter

If someone can explain how I have images of a Bus was converted daily to a truck

Another of the a converted 1946 A.E.C Regal Mark 1
used in Hasting as a tour Bus

Pete g

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Buses
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 21:45:02 »
If you like coaches from 1965..........................I don't know if any were from Kent though..........surely at least one!

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=70126

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Buses
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 22:39:39 »
Maidstone & District coaches in 1964. These are all AEC Reliance 470 fitted with Harrington 41 seat Wayfarer bodies which were new in 1958 - 1960. There are a few unrestored survivors of this type in storage.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=63695

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Buses
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 22:14:37 »
East Kent buses in Canterbury 1951 plus other transport of that time;
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=59682

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
Buses
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 17:56:41 »
I found these pictures a while back on the Transport Photos website of WFN839 and WFN840 approaching the Allington roundabout where the A20(m) "Maidstone Bypass" split from the A20, on their way to the land of red and cream in 1961?

and while we're at it, recovering buses...

I dread to think how it happened but given it was only 4 years old at the time, it was repaired and lasted in service until 1981

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Buses
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 16:17:38 »
Thanks again Megapack. It has come back to me now. The trolleys ran to Sutton Road and Loose. The bus service to Penenden Heath ran via Perryfield Street; I presumed it was a trolley service because the terminal had a turning circle.
It seems as if the history of Maidstone Corporation was nearly as complex as Hastings. Here is a pre-war Crossley Mancunian; I think they were white (or cream) and brown:

There are many pictures of Maidstone buses and trolleys in this next link, and it seems that both were brown until the trolleys were replaced, then became blue. I had completely forgotten they had Daimlers and both short and long bonnet Guy Arabs:
http://jasperstransportphotographs.fotopic.net/c1376301.html

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
Buses
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 15:19:23 »
Of course in 1974 when the Borough Council came into being, they decided that double deckers were bad and dumped them all in favour of high capacity single deckers. The independents loved it however, picking up the best part of 30 buses which were less than 10 years old, some were only 2-3 years old.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines