News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buses  (Read 35749 times)

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
Buses
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 23:39:19 »
A couple of M&D liveried busses I took at Chatham Historic Dockyard on Saturday....

1960 Leyland Atlantean

Maidstone and District were very early customers of the Leyland Atlantean, taking 157 of the original design, many of which provided sterling service for almost 20 years. I remember their twilight from my school years, occasionally everyone had to get off one halfway up Waterworks Hill after the bus stopped at the bottom of the hill and they couldn't get enough speed from a standing start to reach the top.

Sadly none of the 14 semi-lowbridge examples, which were very rare in any case, were saved for preservation, especially in the case of DL43 which was apparently the only Pre-Production semi-lowbridge to be built. The last M&D owned example - originally DL45 - was going to be preserved by a group of drivers but the deal fell through and once Western National, who took a large number of these aged buses in the mid 70s to speed their one man conversions (including DL43), disposed of theirs in 1981/2 the type disappeared.

Only 4 or 5 of the 157 including this one are known to have survived, one of which was exported to Australia, so hopefully DL558 will continue to be looked after by the Historic Dockyard and remain an example of an era when the public relied on public transport to move them around rather than their cars.....

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Buses
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 21:44:20 »
Great pictures, and the East Kent livery is one of the best; really classy in my opinion.

Can't beat the Chatham & District Traction Company:

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
Buses
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 17:32:23 »
A couple of M&D liveried busses I took at Chatham Historic Dockyard on Saturday....

1960 Leyland Atlantean

Early 70's Leyland Leopard

Glen

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines