News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buses  (Read 42230 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
Re: Buses
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2018, 18:00:21 »

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2018, 16:55:29 »
I think that is because Dick Gilbert's site has halfcab single decks but not double decks!

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2018, 18:02:30 »

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2018, 13:07:11 »
The lowbridge (i.e. sunken gangway) double-deckers did occasionally appear on non-lowbridge routes - see the thread under General Transportation on this site: "Where can that bus be?"

To get this thread back to where it started, is there any news about the preserved Tilling-Stevens TS6?

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2018, 18:32:27 »
Once or twice I caught a bus home from school that had the upstairs walkway on the offside. Number 26 Faversham to Gravesend, very late 50s or so.

My elder sister remembered them as well. I was told that they were built to give a lower roof for restricted routes with low bridges.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2018, 16:59:56 »
Early M & D Buses never had a central walk way on the upper deck, always straight along from the stairs.
Seating for four or five people on the left, in each row. It was a job to get out at your stop, past three or  four people, if you had an inside seat.. This was the pre war 2, era.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 65
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2018, 01:02:15 »
Mikeb, thanks for that.

Although I would have made regular use of buses up until I was able to get a motorbike and then a car (1970's), I couldn't remember the last time I travelled on one of the older buses, nor could I remember when I last encountered a conductor. It seems that they both carried on for a fair bit longer than I thought.

As a child, I can remember when the Leyland Atlanteans were first introduced - there was a myth going around at the time that they could be driven from either end, which was probably due to the engine being at the rear and the doors at the front. I can only assume that to some people used to the traditional layout they would sometimes seem to have been travelling in reverse!

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2018, 22:25:03 »
Smiffy.
The last of the "traditional" front engined, rear entrance d.deck buses were sold off 1971/2. The double crewing of buses with drivers & conductors / conductresses continued through to C1982. The early "new" front entrance / rear engined d.decks were delivered and ran for some time as crew operated buses and were only later converted to OMB (one man).

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 65
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2018, 20:12:35 »
Can anyone remember the year when the last of the old style (front engine, rear entrance) buses was withdrawn by Maidstone & District?

Would this also coincide with the last time we saw the likes of a bus conductor, or did they carry on for sometime after this?

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2018, 17:36:01 »
This thread has now become a little frustrating as it started out from a photograph dated approximately 1920 but now someone has updated the site with information from the 1950s and 1960s..  Someone ought, if at all possible, to separate this more recent material from the much older material.  otherwise this thread has lost its usefulness.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 15:58:04 »
Maidstone & District bought mainly AEC coaches in the 50's and 60's nearly all had Harrington coachwork.
The buses however were a mixed bag, mainly Leyland but also Guy, Bristol, AEC and Daimler. Bodywork was by many suppliers such as Weyman and Leyland etc.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 23:11:11 »
peterj. What happened to AEC? I seem to remember quite a lot of the M&D buses were based on their chassis/engine? Duple bodies?

AEC was ruthlessly killed of by Leyland in the 1970s and who then went on to commit suicide themselves. Although the National Bus Company (formed 1968) was firmly wedded to Leyland Group products, East Kent was amongst a handful of subsidiaries who were permitted to continue taking AEC products in the short term.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 20:26:02 »
peterj. What happened to AEC? I seem to remember quite a lot of the M&D buses were based on their chassis/engine? Duple bodies?

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 16:01:32 »
The grand reopening of Dover transport museum is this Sunday 14th January and is well worth a visit, in their car park at present is former Maidstone & District 381 BKM which has been "rescued" from Swansea Bus museum who were stripping it for parts. This unique AEC Reliance coach dates from 1957 and has a Harrington Wayfarer touring body fitted with side cant roof windows. There is another AEC Reliance down there which has a Duple coach body fitted.
link;      https://www.dovertransportmuseum.org.uk/

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2018, 21:37:52 »
Early livery details of M&D vehicles is quite complicated
KK3788, when delivered in 1914 was in red & white. In the same year 15 vehicles were delivered, 1 x red & white, 1 x red & blue, 1 x red & black and 12 in plain green.
There is no record of the colour of KK 2395 when delivered, but it does appear to be in just one rather than two colours. Perhaps plain green?
Green & cream was not adopted across the fleet until 1919. I wonder if the photo was taken when KK 3788 was repainted into the new fleet colours C1919 / 20? The crew are certainly posing nicely either side of the scroll.
Info from the M&D Fleet History..

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines