News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hop Picking Photo  (Read 27419 times)

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
Re: Hop Picking Photo
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 18:39:46 »
What a great film....thank you!  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 14:14:05 »
"in the Hop Fields of Kent". A very interesting piece of film from the same source as the two recent ones re St. Barts. Hospital and The River Medway.

https://community.brighton.ac.uk/medway/pg/groups/28/in-the-hop-fields-of-kent/

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 14:02:38 »

Londoners on the way to hop gardens 1867

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 15:36:15 »
   1835  Wife swapping is common in the hoppers huts.

And there's me thinking it started in the Swinging Sixties.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 13:01:28 »

1835  Wife swapping is common in the hoppers huts.
  Morality is low in the camps. Wife swapping is commonplace and many women have to lock themselves in at night to escape the attention of men. This year there have been several impromptu weddings, supervised by the binmen who have allowed some men to take more than one wife.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 17:00:38 »
Thanks for that thought Busyglen, hadn't thought of Harvest Festival.  She seems to be standing in a field of sorts, with what looks like huts in the background. There is also a lady standing to one side and looking at her shoes and coat length makes me think maybe the date is sometime in the 1920/30's.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 15:24:39 »
Ann, as your gt. grandmother is warmly attired and has fruit and hops in her hands, I wondered if it was to do with Harvest Festival, although it doesn't appear to be near a Church.  Just a thought.:)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 20:55:47 »
Dover Express 11.9.1936
Hop Pickers from Dover, at Ash

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 13:54:57 »
Attached a photo of my great grandmother, obviously posing with a bunch of hops in one hand and an apple in the other. She is obviously not a 'hopper' and I have no idea of the date of the photo, but assume it symbolizes the 'Garden of Kent'.  I wonder if anyone has any ideas from the background buildings etc., where it could have been taken? 

Offline Ted H

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 11:51:34 »
Not all hop pickers came from London. A lot of local people from Luton, Chatham also took part, both before and just after the war. Attached photo taken c.1935 shows four local children from Beacon Rd. Luton. Back row L to R Anne Parkinson [later to become my wife], Margaret Thomas. Front row L to R Billy Thomas, Billy Harris. Alas, the two girls have passed away. I don't know what happened to the boys.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 22:17:43 »
Hop Picking in Kent (1929).
 A short but rather charming Empire News film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miRaKUqqfqc&feature=related

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 13:39:21 »
My dad spent 6 months doing jobs like hand hoeing and stone removal from fields for 6 months before deciding that farming was not the job for him. As a family we never looked back.

My mum used to have a picture of her dad in about 1908 with a trolley for ale that he would take from his father's pub in Patrixbourne to the hop pickers, though I don't know whether he was taking orders or just selling what he had from the trolley when he arrived.

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 13:20:44 »
Please God I never see those days again, hated it. It was fine when it was our mum and her sisters there, had the run of the farms with all our mates but as soon as our dads turned up on their annual leave from the dockyard it was another matter, child labour they'd call it these days. And what about the journey to and from the fields, in the back of high sided trucks, Lenton and Curtis were mostly used and if it rained we got out of them like drowned rats. Kids of today have got a lot to thank mechanisation for, don't know they're born.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:44 »
Perhaps I'm a bit late with October, but I'm sure my parents spoke of going back to school for a couple of weeks after the summer holidays, then came the hop-picking holiday, which would make it about mid to end September. I don't know if it applied to everyone, or if it was just those children actually going hop-picking who were allowed to miss school.

When I put the question to my wife, she said she remembers her Gran talking of it.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
Re: Hop picking photo
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:02 »
... as the hop picking seems to have taken place at the very end of the school summer holiday ...

Hop picking was end of August and into September, with revised timing for school in the communities concerned.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines