News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hop Picking Photo  (Read 27479 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Hop Picking Photo
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:47 »
Schools used to have a 'hop picking' holiday - a couple of weeks about the beginning of October. And Britton Street, Gillingham, is correct.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Fred the Needle

Re: Hop picking photo
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:32 »
My aunt used to go hop picking down at Selling every year staying in the hop huts we used to go down to visit them on the Sunday, always had a few days out at Batchelors farm beside the Wagon at Hale before going back to school with a mate and his mum loved the fires and boiling up for a cuppa.
My mother always used to tell me that going hop picking in the summer was her family's summer holiday.  She wasn't known for her accuracy in telling stories - she'd somewhat exaggerate how good/bad/important things were - but apparently she, her sisters and her mother would leave the family home in Britton (?) Street, Gillingham once the school holidays started and live for the duration of the hop-picking in the huts on the farmers land.

I never thought to ask what my mothers father did during that time.  She was one of 7 surviving sisters and 2 surviving brothers at the time - she never mentioned the presence of the brothers either on these "holidays".

However, her story seems at odds with the 1903 article posted (by Smiler) as the hop picking seems to have taken place at the very end of the school summer holiday so I'm now confused as to how "hard" her life was.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 15:46:55 »
Working in hop gardens was acceptable for women of the middle and upper classes

if they picked for a charitable cause or church funds. Here is a young mother with her small child.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 15:35:32 »
From "Kent a Chronicle of the Century" by Bob Ogley

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 14:52:21 »
And if you can find the location of hop picking huts, then nearby will be their rubbish pits. I used to find many whole milk bottles from as far away as London near the old hop pickers' huts at the Steven's farm in Tyler Hill.

dave sadler

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 20:27:40 »
The earlier question about Selling which I've just found (new member ) The farm was S.C & J.H.Berry.  I went there as a baby in 1942 and last 'Opping was 1961. Not every picker was from London at Berry's farm there were people from Chatham, Gillingham and Strood. My mother organised a group from Dagenham and we started with 20 huts then they built 50 breezeblock huts just for us. Some of these are still there after 50 years.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 23:59:33 »
Smiler's magazine pages from 1931 refer to the Little Hoppers' Hospital at Five Oak Green and the work of Father Richard Wilson from St Augustine's, Stepney. I was privileged to spend a few summers in the late 1940s at the hoppers' mission at Five Oak Green. The story of the mission and Richard Wilson, along with background details of the east end pickers is told in "Pull no more Poles" by J G W Farley, who had worked with Wilson almost from the beginning (Faith Press, London, 1965).

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 13:34:00 »
I can rember seeing stringing up using stilts at a farm opposite (ish)  Little Kits Coty in the late 1970s

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:15 »
Wonderful photos thank you for sharing
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:56:31 »

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Hop picking photo
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 18:35:38 »
No idea name of farm going back about 55 years ago

OK just a thought :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Hop picking photo
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 14:16:58 »
No idea name of farm going back about 55 years ago

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Hop picking photo
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 14:07:15 »
My aunt used to go hop picking down at Selling every year staying in the hop huts we used to go down to visit them on the Sunday, always had a few days out at Batchelors farm beside the Wagon at Hale before going back to school with a mate and his mum loved the fires and boiling up for a cuppa.

Do you know which farm at Selling? My father worked there and his parents before him owned a farm there.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Hop picking photo
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 20:58:41 »

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Hop Picking Photo
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 20:42:44 »
Heres the pics of hopping at Tunstall where dad was the hop foreman . Thats him with the Big Cap and wearing a Tie . My mum with the glasses sitting  in front of him .My Nan in the middle. The Green Bags on the wagon going to the Oast to be dried and pressed into Pockets over night.

Thats all in the past now never see the likes of Hoppicking again.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines