News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sentinel S4 Steam Waggon.  (Read 39141 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Sentinel S4 Steam Waggon.
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2017, 23:18:39 »
Coal was the fuel of choice. It was readily out there, and cheap. However I believe some were converted to oil burning during the Second World War. These were, in the main, the S types. These were the big modern fast machines and the Government wanted them to be single man operation. I don't know if any survive.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2017, 22:36:05 »
Were Sentinels (and other steam waggons) all coal-fired? I would have thought that oil would have been a bit more practical for the later models, as well as being a bit less labour intensive.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2017, 21:50:14 »
Thanks Bryn Clinch and Sentinel S4.
Corgi do a 1/50 model of the Sentinel in various liveries, including Shepherd Neame. One day I might get around to repainting one in the colours of Edward Lloyd Ltd.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 19:29:49 »
As far as I know, and to back Bryn, she was in high gloss Battleship grey with fine black and white lining and the works plates in red.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2017, 09:06:21 »
Due to a fairly recent serious illness which has affected my memory, I hope my recollection of GREY is correct. My Dad drove this vehicle for some years and I once drove it (on private property) so I`m 99% certain that I`ve got it right. It was in first class condition when Bowater/Lloyd retired it (and Sentinel S4`s father bought it). Dad looked after it as if it were his own property. The other Sentinel owned by Bowater/Lloyd was BLUE.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2017, 22:36:29 »
What were the colours of KK 1065?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 07:53:15 »
Photo of the works plate, sent to me by Sentinel S4, soon after I discovered that the waggon was not immediately scrapped by the paper mill. Strange that my Dad never mentioned that he and Sentinel S4`s father drove the lorry to a private estate only about 3 - 4 miles away.  I have an acetylene lamp which, I believe, was rescued from the waggon but the photo of it has been lost.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2017, 02:10:18 »
Bryn has shown the first steam powered vehicle my Father owned, a Sentinel Standard Waggon. I still have the works plate. KK 1065 lived on for a few more years after being sold as scrap in late 1949 or early 1950. Bryn`s Father drove and my Father (then 14) steered her out to a private estate where she was kept until the foundation ring (the lowest part of the boiler that joins the firebox to the outer shell) let go and she was cut up for scrap (Dad was about 16 at the time). The Waggon shown by Smiffy is also a Standard type Sentinel. They could carry about five tons and pull another six on a trailer. They were good for 25 mph with reasonable comfort but could go a lot faster if the Police were not looking, although at higher speeds they could and did get, shall we say, uncomfortable and a little difficult to steer...

S4.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2017, 18:12:31 »
Here`s one for comparison!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2017, 17:28:03 »
I believe this is a Sentinel. Canal Road Strood, 1935.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 08:32:32 »
Found another Sentinel, not sure of the type, but a good picture though not in Kent. Sorry mods!

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2014, 19:12:05 »
Thanks for posting John,  really excellent photos to see.  The ownership was thus:

9023 Reg No. AKR 958.
New to H Sargeant & Sons Church Hougham Kent on 24/03/1934
sometime later to Wingham Engineering, Wingham Kent
around 1955 to Pegden Bros, Elham Kent
then C J Fleetney, Sittingbourne Kent
possibly back to Pegden Bros
by 1962 G Chapham, Hockley Kent
the we have is 1984 to R Sadler, Ware Hertfordshire

DTT

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 16:40:23 »
According to the diagram on page 3 of this thread it is the air compressor and dynamo for the electric lights. Please don't forget there is a four cylinder steam engine under there as well. Have a look at the diagram it will explain the layout far better than I can. The classification was very simple with these you had S4, S6 and S8. The 'S' denotes they were Shaft drive, like a modern lorry or rear wheel driven car. The number denotes the number wheels hence these are Shaft driven 4 wheel Waggons, S4's. There are a few S6 knocking about and literally two or three S8.

S4. 

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 16:29:17 »
Very modern looking, impressive vehicles.  :)

What is the gubbins halfway between the cab and the rear axle, something hydraulic?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2014, 16:25:32 »
John.Sargeant, I would like to thank you very much for posting these pictures. They are magnificent and show the Waggons off to their best. Again thank you for posting as they mean a lot to me, my forum name says it all really. Damn fine machines that don't look out of place on the roads of today either. If there is anymore information pertaining to their use under your families ownership I would be interested in reading, as would a few others here.

Sentinel S4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines