News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sentinel S4 Steam Waggon.  (Read 38970 times)

Offline keniff

• Appreciation 17
Re: Sentinel S4 Steam Waggon.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 14:50:10 »
 This wouldn't be one of those "naked" would it ??

Keniff
Black Beauty - There's a dark horse

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 22:34:25 »
Yes they're coal fired by hand. As far as I know the boiler tubes are vertical meaning whom ever is cleaning them has to lay underneath  getting covered in soot.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 21:56:47 »
Sentinels I remember had a rounded front to the cab with chimney sticking through the roof, presumably from a boiler where the engine of a diesel lorry would be. You mention a banner stating 'still delivering without oil'. So were they coal fired? By hand?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 21:45:11 »
For those interested I have posted the works plate of Sentinel Standard Steam Waggon Reg KK 1065.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 21:38:59 »
Sorry about that but me+'puter = disaster area...... This is the pic that I refer to in the initial post of this thread. This is a Sentinel S4. Regards, Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Sentinel S4 Steam Waggon.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 21:34:22 »
        I know I shall get some stick for this but I have got to ask. Back in the dim dark days of the late 1950's when my Dad was young and BC (Before Children) he owned a few steam Engines of the road going sort. Thanks to Bryn Clinch I have finally seen a pic of the first Sentinel Waggon he owned, I still have the works plate so in a way she still lives. I have a pic of his last vehicle, a Sentinel S4, he obtained this from the Pegden Brothers by swopping his Showmans Engine, Vanguard now at Preston, for this beast.[/img] I know that she was originaly owned by Wingham Engineering and hired out to whoever needed a vehicle. They owned many steam vehicles, there are one or two about still, but I need to know if any of our members remember this waggon that was hired by Fremlins in Faversham. She was last worked by them during the Suez Crisis, I believed that it was Sheps that had her but I was mistaken, I understand that they had a banner across the front dash panel stating that even without oil they were still delivering. I believe that this pic was shot at Acrise during one of the first Steam Rallys in the country. She was brown with white lining and a red chassis and wheels with a silver engine. Regards, Sentinel S4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines