Kent History Forum

News: Lt. Clarence Edwards Nooth Cooper (3rd Lincolns) - Killed in action 16/09/16
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Priory Station  (Read 12046 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
Re: Dover Priory Station
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2013, 22:34:06 »
Thanks philr!I can't remember the stock formations of those trains now .I do remember going round them checking doors, couplings and brakes though. We also had to make out a journal and load list for the driver. On that turn, after getting off at DP, we would then work a passenger train to Faversham. After passing to Sittingbourne, we'd do a trip into Sheerness and return. This was 2 car HAP stock back then.
I'm very glad not to be working on the railways now though! The last stopping train from Canterbury East to DP on fridays and saturdays was a nightmare. The yobs eventually caused this train to be run fast from CE to DP.

philr

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2013, 21:00:34 »
Excellent TowerWill, a bit of nostalgia for you then?! If I recall it consisted of three vans and a mark 1 brake coach, but it was a few years ago! 

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2013, 21:54:44 »
A nice photo philr. That could have been one of our freight link turns. I know when I was in that link we worked vans in the evening from Margate to Dover Priory. I expect the train went on to London Bridge Station (Central Side). We had mail vans out of DP sidings that went to London Bridge. I can't recall the exact time but it was between 1800 and 1900. The return journey was via Croydon, Redhill and Tonbridge. I remember using the Post Office canteen at Redhill.

philr

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2013, 20:55:19 »
Talking of Class 73 's with mail, here are the Margate to London Bridge vans. It came through Sandwich at about 19.15 every weekday if I remember correctly. I took this about 1982. Not sure if they stopped at the Priory?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2013, 08:18:35 »
Thankyou for the interesting photos fd! Yes some works are ongoing at DP. They must have been held up this week though. We didn't attempt to get out from our house on the hill due to the snow. Quite a few train services kept running though. I was told the old building over in the yard has an asbestos roof to be dealt with. That's where a multi story car park is supposed to go.
I hope your model of DP goes well. I found cardboard very useful when making railway models.

Offline ferriesdover

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2013, 07:23:01 »
Morning,
              It has been a while since my last visit here.
Good pos's and photographs from members, thank you.
I have some recent photographs of Dover Priory, as I have been (slowly) building a model of DP. in the small space available to me.
The model is in scale: 1.76 / 4.mm.
Also, have obtained (circa.2000) signal/track diagram, if anyone is interested.

The pic. below shows the canopy of platforms 2. & 3. undergoing major overhaul, a few days ago.

P1030946(1) by ferriesdover, on Flickr

This pic. shows the recent progress of my model of DP. lots more to do.
Mlv. sits at platform 3. which is only a mock up.

P1000881 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Model of platform 1. a slightly shortened version, with led lighting.

P1030595(1) by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Regards......dt.....

Offline doncaster diva

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2013, 00:20:00 »
Glad you liked the photos. Didn't know where to lodge them and I would have hated them to have been lost when the grim reaper calls.

Happy birthday sorry they weren't gift wrapped. Enjoy.

Regards

Diva (John)

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 8
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 00:04:36 »
What great pictures Diva. I will consider them a Birthday present. Only joking mate! Stuart
Stuart...

Offline doncaster diva

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 17:15:54 »
As a train spotter I knew them as 'Sulzer's' which were, I think, on loan from the Midland Region. They had gone by the time I started working on the railway in 1965. There were three types of main line locos. in use then. Diesel 6500 series (class33) Crompton's? Electric 5000 series and EDs 6000 series (class 73).

I've attached a poor quality photo of a Sulzer dropping down towards Kearsney Junction.

Regards

Diva

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 16:32:35 »
Thankyou DS239! I've heard of the class 24 but it was a bit before my time. I've spent many hours in the back cab of the class 33 watching my load of wagons. I never liked those noisy and rattling things though. We tended to have class 73s hauling the mail trains out of the Priory. Another thing I didn't like over in the yard, was scrambling about coupling a loco to vans which required the ETH(electric train heating) to be plugged in. This was due to working over the conductor rail. That's reminded me that we had to check something in the cab to make sure the ETH was off otherwise a flashback would occur. 

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 10
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2013, 15:32:39 »
I'm just looking in my "Dumpy Pocket Book of Locomotives 1961" and a photo of class BR type 2 looks like the one in dd's photo. They were numbered D5000 to D5157.

Later known as Class 24's, the Southern Region borrowed 15 of them from the London Midland Region in 1959, pending delivery of it's own BR&CW Type 3's [Class 33] as these arrived the Class 24's were returned to the LMR, the last going back in 1962.

Further information here: http://www.derbysulzers.com/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:02 »
I'm just looking in my "Dumpy Pocket Book of Locomotives 1961" and a photo of class BR type 2 looks like the one in dd's photo. They were numbered D5000 to D5157. I purchased this book with some vouchers won for "trying harder" at school. A schoolmaster saying "if you don't buck your ideas up I'll give you a hiding" must have had some effect! The book shows some steam locos too.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:27 »
Nice photos d.d!I don't know what the loop line past platform 3 was designated either. Back then it could be left in both directions too. I suppose when the Marine Station was open, the platform 1 line could have a Down Victoria or an Up Charing Cross train using it and the other way round past platform 2. As we've discussed before, trains can no longer leave platform 3 in the Folkestone direction.
The loco in your photo I know nothing about but the other rolling stock I was very familiar with from the 1970s onwards. I spent too many years cleaning those vans and later on chucking mail, parcels and papers out of them to forget!
The electric unit 6119 looks like Hap stock and was 84 the headcode for all stations to Sheerness? No checking tickets for the conductor guard on that unit!   

Offline doncaster diva

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 00:54:23 »
Hello

Couple of B & W photos taken at Dover Priory early 60's.

Although I was a goods guard at Faversham and used to work into and out of Dover, I can`t remember if the loop at Dover Priory was designated 'up' or 'down'.

Logic tells me it was 'up' as we always worked 'up' to Faversham. I'm sure someone will put me right.

Regards

Diva

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 26
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:51 »
Yes strangelights it used to be a well kept allotment. We live close by and even the steps down to the station are becoming overgrown from both sides. The leaves and rubbish are piling up again too despite Emails to D.D.Council. The good part is that the wall at the bottom of the steps has been removed to provide a direct route to the station via the old yard. Going this way avoids Priorygate Road which is mentioned now and again in the local paper's letters page!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines