News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Molash Parish  (Read 17882 times)

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 9
Re: Molash Parish - 1847
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 18:41:21 »
Just checked the 1851 census. The spelling is now Molash.

Again, Witherland Court, with the Videans still there with their five servants, and a couple of other families. No Wytherling Court.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 18:30:52 »
A little hasty above, correction here:

Witherland Court was not listed in Church Lane in 1841. It was a location of its own in Moldash. The enumerator was very sparing with locations, two pages previously is "Pasonege", presumably Parsonage, with only ag labs and farmers, no clergy. The following pages have Church House, Dryland and Nockwood House.

Wytherling Court does not appear as a location in the enumeration book for Moldash, and I couldn't find it as an 1841 census location in Kent. It appears to be of historic interest with listed buildings.

So the question is still open. Was Witherland Court in 1841 (and 1847) the same place as Wytherling Court? If they are, the Videons could have been at the Court itself (they had five servants), and my ancestor in a smallholding belonging to the Court.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 16:45:58 »
Witherland Court and Wytherling Court must be two different places.

Googling the first yields nothing, googling the second gets plenty of hits.

Witherland Court was in Church Lane, Molash, in 1841.

Wytherling Court is halfway to Shottenden from Molash village.

busyglen

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 16:32:14 »
Thanks Seafordpete.

If you google `Molash' it also comes up with a reference to Molash with Challock, which is the same place.

Obviously it is possible to find many names to places that have changed over the years, but for the purpose of the pieces I am putting on here, I am using the ones given.  If I hadn't heard of Molash, I would have searched further to ensure that what I was reading was correct.  At least anyone looking at this now, will know that it could have been named differently over a long period.  :)

seafordpete

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 15:03:21 »
If you Google "Moldash Kent" you get 120 items come up over a wide variety of subjects, surely too many & too varied to be from a single typo?

busyglen

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 14:37:25 »
Thank you, Busyglen.

I have the family on the censuses.

Better still, an earlier generation farmed Witherland Court. For some reason the tenancy didn't continue. In Cornwall they had a system of "lives" - when a lease was taken three people were nominated to continue the lease, which came to an end on the death of the third "life". I've never heard of that being done in Kent. After Witherland Court they were undefined ag labs. One I know became a wheelwright, another a farm bailiff.

I've been trying to track down the location of Witherland Court. Regarding the spelling I'll check such documents as I have. Mollash certainly alternated with Moldash. The standard interpretation is that it is Anglo-Saxon, composed of "meld" (speech) and "ash" (ash tree), meaning the ash tree where people assembled for meetings. The characteristic tree of Molash is the yew, now only surviving in the churchyard, but formerly covering a wide area across to Selling.

Thanks for the input Sylvaticus.  As I mentioned above, I am copying the villages from a `copy' of the original documents so there is room for error.  Usually, if a place has a known name earlier than that of the Gazetteer, it is quite often mentioned, but in this case it wasn't.

busyglen

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 14:32:43 »
Thanks Busyglen,

I would add that olders directories of Kent also Spell Molash as Moldash, it seems the dropping of the "d" is a recent corruption.

Also, can you recheck the name of Witherland (sic) Court for me.  I live behind Wytherling Court farm, on the unanmed private road leading to the farm.  I would be interested in the directorty had it incorrectly named, it certainly seems to have listed Bower Farm unusually.

Thanks, ShotA

Sometimes the Gazetteer shows earlier spelling of places, but not all.  I typed this word for word, and did go back and check to see if I had made any mistakes, but both Molash, and Witherland Court are as printed.

I would add, that I have come across a few `spelling' mistakes in my travels when typing up these places, which is possibly because the scanned copies look as if they were done on a Gestetner, which of course is open to mistakes when the `skins' were typed from the original books.  

As Sylvaticus has previous generations living in `Witherland Court', it would seem that for this period, at least, it was the correct name.  :)

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 13:18:05 »
Thank you, Busyglen.

I have the family on the censuses.

Better still, an earlier generation farmed Witherland Court. For some reason the tenancy didn't continue. In Cornwall they had a system of "lives" - when a lease was taken three people were nominated to continue the lease, which came to an end on the death of the third "life". I've never heard of that being done in Kent. After Witherland Court they were undefined ag labs. One I know became a wheelwright, another a farm bailiff.

I've been trying to track down the location of Witherland Court. Regarding the spelling I'll check such documents as I have. Mollash certainly alternated with Moldash. The standard interpretation is that it is Anglo-Saxon, composed of "meld" (speech) and "ash" (ash tree), meaning the ash tree where people assembled for meetings. The characteristic tree of Molash is the yew, now only surviving in the churchyard, but formerly covering a wide area across to Selling.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:25:02 »
Thanks Busyglen,

I would add that olders directories of Kent also Spell Molash as Moldash, it seems the dropping of the "d" is a recent corruption.

Also, can you recheck the name of Witherland (sic) Court for me.  I live behind Wytherling Court farm, on the unanmed private road leading to the farm.  I would be interested in the directorty had it incorrectly named, it certainly seems to have listed Bower Farm unusually.

Thanks, ShotA

busyglen

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:21 »
By the way, the only people usually mentioned are gentry, farmers, and other business people, so if they didn't come under this category, they wouldn't be mentioned in the Gazetteer.  As this was 1847, the next time they may be found would be in the 1851 Census.  Hope this helps. :)

busyglen

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05:50 »
Sorry, I forgot to insert the source on the bottom, and wasn't able to add it to the post.  I meant to do it this morning, so thanks for reminding me.

Taken from Bagshaws History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Kent.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 23:16:11 »
Thank you for this Busyglen. Some of my ancestors were living there but are not listed. I was wondering what your source was?

busyglen

Molash Parish
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 18:52:39 »
MOLASH is a small parish and village, situated in a hilly country, 7 miles N.N.E. from Ashford.  The parish contains 1,448 acres of land, the soil being mostly a red earth, mixed with abundance of flints.  In 1841 there were 48 houses and 391 inhabitants; population in 1801, 294; in 1831, 391.  Rateable value, £1,696.17s.6d.  Edward Knight, Esq. is the principal land owner, but James B. Wildman, Esq. is lord of the manor.  

THE CHURCH, (dedicated to St. Peter) is a small fabric, with nave and chancel, having a pointed turret at the west end.  The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Chilham, and enjoyed by the Rev. Rd. O. Tylden.  Edward Knight, Esq. in 1834, established a school in the village, which he also supports.  The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1840 for £138.  Mr. Knight is the appropriator, and owner of 1,030A. 1R. 9P. of the land in this parish; the remainder, 418A. 2R. 18P., pays a rent-charge of £100.  Hop-grounds pay an extraordinary charge of 12s. per acre.

CHARITIES, William Rolfe, gave to the poor of this parish a sum of money producing £2.5s. in 1786, since which it appears the charity has been lost.  Donor unknown.  There are 2 ½ acres of land in West Hythe, now let for £4 per annum, which is disposed of in bread for the poor.

Baker, John, shopkeeper & Banker
Dixon, John, Vict. The George
Dixon, Mr. Thomas
Ellis Wm. Blacksmith
Goode, Cephas, Wheelwright.
Kingsland, Daniel, Shoemaker
Matcham, Wm. Harness Maker
Owen, William Esq.
Pepper, Richard, Shoemaker
Staples, Mary Ann, School.

Farmers:
Amos, Daniel