News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: M.W. Porter. ( Saxon St. Gillingham.)  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: M.W. Porter. ( Saxon St. Gillingham.)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 14:47:15 »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213311561638003&set=gm.1822181924478937&type=3&theater

Posted on Old Medway in Pictures.
 Obviously changed the appearance of their surname in later years.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 13:18:36 »
This looks like a match for the location in Skinner street, near the High street junction. Judging by the Union flags and bunting on display I'd say this was around the time of the coronation. Note the spelling - very anglicized!

Roma Broom

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 19:22:13 »
DiMascio's icecream was wonderful. The lady who served could not speak English. She was lovely and used to put 'juice' on the icecream, yellow and red. My mother sometimes took us in for cornets after school at Skinner Street. Lovely milkshakes and love the Coca-Cola with icecream in too. My sister and I often reminisce about that place. Childrens heaven.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 21:26:12 »
Thanks, Silkenrobe.

silkenrobe

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 18:23:57 »
Hi there
It was spelt DiMascio - I went to school with a (most likely) granddaughter of the ice cream owner.  Her father had an ice cream parlour in Skinner Street, Gillingham, very near the pedestrian crossroads of the High Street.  The family lived in Gillingham - Lewis Avenue.

Can't help with Mr Porter though, sorry.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
M.W. Porter. ( Saxon St. Gillingham.)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 17:06:15 »
I was told today, by the chap who runs the car repair workshop, that he has been there since the 1970s and a car repair workshop has been there since 1965.     

Also before that, there was an ice cream place there, complete with stables. The ice cream owner I think was, DeMacia or Macia, not sure of the spelling.

The writing on the wall says, M. W. Porter, as far as I can make out. Anyone know who M. W. Porter was, or who used the place before 1965 for ice cream, or for anything else?

My photos.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines