News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gordon Caravan Co. High Street, Brompton  (Read 553 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Gordon Caravan Co. High Street, Brompton
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 17:42:51 »
The 1911 census has the Summers family headed by Walter Summers resident at 25 High Street Old Brompton. He is listed as a grocer and indeed Summers Grocers was at that location when my parents came to Brompton in 1946. S O Summers was Sidney his son. The whole family originated from Challock. In 1901 Walter is listed as a Grocer & Inn Keeper at the Chequers, The Leese, Challock. By 1939 the family had moved to 38 Nelson Road Gillingham and he is a Retired Grocer.
In 1939 a Sidney C Summers is listed as the Managing Director of a Grocery and Provisions Company with an address at 25a High Street Gillingham? I think this Sidney was a nephew of Walter and was also from Challock.
as for S O Summers he is a bit harder to trace.
Sadly I cannot identify any of the buildings in the photographs.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
Gordon Caravan Co. High Street, Brompton
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 10:32:48 »
I discovered a photograph album on ebay, that has an interesting link to Brompton, Chatham.
The photos are worth examination whilst the listing is still on ebay. 

Link: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-PHOTO-ALBUM-THE-MAKING-OF-CARAVAN-LIVING-VAN/372252888869?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It is the building of a caravan on top of an old hay cart, or similar.  The interesting piece is the contemporary (1930s) photographs.  The Album was created by the Gordon Caravan Company, listed as 27, High Street, Brompton, Chatham.  Tel:  2382.

The firm is owned by S.O Summers JP.   Further quick research shows that S.O. Summers JP was the Alderman whose name is listed on the inscription to Will Adams on Watling Street.  Further searches show that Alderman Summers sat on the Education Committee for the Borough of Gillingham.

I have a very vague recollection of Gordon Car Hire, but I may be mistaken.

I would be interested to know if any of our Brompton members can identify the buildings in the photographs on ebay.  I have not copied them here for reasons of copyright.  Perhaps other members would like to view them whilst they are still listed on ebay.

DTT

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines