News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Belvedere Folly, Waldershare Estate  (Read 9686 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Belvedere Folly, Waldershare Estate
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 20:54:10 »
http://www.bishoparchitecture.com/?p=33

At the bottom of the link are details of a survey done for assessment for conversion into holiday accomodation aka Hadlow Tower.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Belvedere Folly, Waldershare Estate
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 22:14:52 »
Recent images

The buillding is firmly secured on the ground floor and no entry is possible. Looking at the vertical crack in the east wall I image that without all the internal scaffolding it may not be long for this world.

West Front

North Front

East Front

South Front (not much room on this side)

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
Belvedere Folly, Waldershare Estate
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:18:34 »

... notes on Waldershare church (note the last line)

The Church at Waldershare is dedicated to All Saints. It is a building of flints and stone, some portions of which are Norman, and consist of a chancel with north and south chapels, a nave, south porch, and western bell cot, containing one bell. The two chancel chapels are in the late perpendicular style and have been added to accommodate the tombs and monuments of the Monin and Furnesse families. There is a stained glass window inserted by the now Dowager Countess of Guilford, in memory of her infant son Dudley, Francis Lord North, born and died 3rd May, 1874. There is also a brass subscribed by the members of the Devonshire Hunt, in Memory of the 7th Earl, who died 18th December 1885. This church was restored by Mr Ewan Christian, the chapels having been new roofed and the arcades separating them from the chancel rebuilt, and furnished with carved oak screens. The church affords 200 sittings and the churchyard was enlarged in 1886.
     The living is a Vicarage jointly with Whitfield and West Langdon. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, but formerly the church was appendant to the Manor and continued so till one of the family of the Malmains gave it to the neighbouring abbey of West Langdon where it continued until the suppression of the monasteries. In the year 1588 it is recorded that there were in this parish 33 communicants, and 33 in 1640. The Rev Walter Hamilton, who was very much esteemed, was for 42 years Vicar of Waldershare having held the living from 1865 until 1898.
      The parish of Waldershare has no features to be noted beyond the operations of agriculture, the charming scenery of the Park and its vicinity.
 From the tower of the Belvedere, commonly called the Monument, within the Park, very extensive views of sea and land are obtainable.”
          (“Dover Express” villages features, date 1901-2)

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 21:38:49 »
Other than Sir Robert Furnese's ego RWTA, no!

The Cinque Ports Herald of May 20, 1826 refers to there being "dancing on the lawn and the Monument afforded accommodation and a band for the display of elegance in that accomplishment", so it may be just a localised name for the Belvedere.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 19:03:58 »
Postcard says 'The Monument' - does it commemorate something particular then as well?

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:47 »
I wonder what the significance of the graffiti on the side is? Anyhow, here's an old postcard showing the Belvedere in better condition.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:13:48 »

Thank you all for the information.

Ellenkate

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 16:19:48 »
Great posts with interesting history - I feel a ramble coming on. I knew of the house and the monuments in the unassuming church are incredible but had no idea of the folly.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 17:36:27 »
The corrugated 'protection' that was added years ago was paid for with grant money. I don't think the owner has much interest in it, but I'd like to be proved wrong. I first went in there back in 1977 and it was a mess then. I to didn't dare go up the staircase, it didn't look safe even back then.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 14:26:08 »

Re The Belvedere in Waldershare Park

I believe it recently had a large grant for restoration but haven't been over there since then...  perhaps it is restored ??

Ellenkate

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:22 »
When you look at the inch wide cracks in the brickwork that run from top to bottom, and the 12' x 8' corrugated iron sheets from the roof that lie embedded 3' into the ground you do tend to discover a feeling that you have important business elsewhere!!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:14 »
From The Buildings of England, North East and East Kent :

In the park, ½ m. SW of the house, a gargantuan Palladian BELVEDERE, erected, like the monument in the church, by Sir Robert Furnese, who seems to have suffered from a touch of megalomania. Built in 1725-7 at a total cost of £1703 7s. 4d. It is, roughly speaking, an up-ended double cube, of fine plum-coloured brick sparingly embellished with excellently carved Portland stone. The embellishments are a large Venetian window in a Gibbs surround on the N. and S. sides, a round-headed Ionic window to the E. and W. Square mezzanine windows high above acres of brickwork. Top balustrade. Quoins only low down. The basement has a shallow brick dome, over which, it seems, there was a tall circular room, now ruined and not accessible.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:57 »
2009, and not a lot had changed.

It's been on English Heritage's "Buildings at Risk" Register for ages, but nothing gets done.

Listing states:
Belvedere: 1725-7 by Lord Burlington or Colen Campbell for Sir Henry Furnese located at the southern end of the western side of an early C18 Wilderness, overlooking the park to the north and south. Derelict for many years and now in a ruinous state. The Wilderness lies to the south of the house; mostly cleared and planted with larch in the 1950s. The rides and scattered mature oaks and sweet chestnuts survive.
Name:   The Belvedere
Parish:   Shepherdswell with Coldred
District/London Borough:   Dover
Locality:   Waldershare Park
County:   Kent
Parliamentary Constituency:   Dover
Region:   South East
Designation:   Grade I listed building
New Entry:   No
Condition:   Very bad
Occupancy:   Vacant
Priority:   C