News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chislet Colliery  (Read 14960 times)

Offline AdrianPearce

• Appreciation 1
Re: Chislet Colliery
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 01:47:16 »
An ex-miner Albert Gee recounted some of his memories to me of working at Chislet Colliery. They can be seen here

http://shropshirehistory.com/misc/chislet.pdf

Dowtyprop

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 00:01:08 »
Pit bottom roadways at Chislet Colliery leading to the East and South east Districts of the mine.

(Image removed from quote.)
I remember the junction well, the paddy wagon used to stop there and from there on we had to walk to the coal faces. The return journey was easy because we used to ride out on the conveyor belts, laying on top of the coal, keeping a lookout for the likes of Chris Bland, the undermanager. Yes, it was illegal, you could get fined for it!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 20:32:15 »
Lehane still run their coaches.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

doncaster diva

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 19:58:52 »
I worked as a Leading Porter at Sturry Station from 1965 and Chislet Colliery Sidings came under the authority of our Station Master Mr. Haynes. The 'man in charge' at Chislet was called Charlie (can't remember his surname) and one of our unofficial jobs was counting the number of empty coal wagons on the morning goods from Ashford and pass this to Charlie by the internal phone system so that he could make the necessary arrangements for their disposal. There was an intermediate block signal box at Chislet which was switched in during the day.

My parents ran the Rose Inn at Sturry and many of our customers were from the mining community who lived both in Sturry and Hersden. My father was an ex miner from Yorkshire so as you can imagine there was many the ton of coal mined in the public bar of his pub. I remember that the 'pit buses' were operated by a gentleman called Gerry Lehane who's coaches we hired for trips from the pub.

Happy days.

Regards

Doncaster Diva

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 15:05:33 »
Further to my earlier post #16.I have now dug out the relevant Railway Bylines magazine [Vol.6,issue 7,June 2001 for those who may be interested in acquiring a copy] and can add a little more info from that source:

Locomotives at Chislet when the colliery closed in July 1969:

NCB CHISLET No 2, Bagnall 0-4-0ST [2961 of 1950] Scrapped May 1969,-so just before closure!

[ex-Cadbury] Peckett 0-4-0ST [2156 of 1955] Scrapped August 1969.

[ex-S.Fox Ltd.] Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0ST [2498 of 1951] Sold to Buckinghamshire Railway Centre January 1970.

52, Andrew Barclay 0-6-0DM [382 of 1950] Transferred to Snowdown Colliery December 1969.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 10:00:42 »
My fault as I misread the book I was using. The 0-6-0 Yorkshire Engine Company loco is at Quainton Road named Chislet, the P class and the B4 are both on the Bluebell. I apologise for misleading people. There are many pictures on Flickr of the locos in question. I am suprised that the two 0-4-0's were scrapped as one of them was ex-Cadburys and both survived into the mid 1960's.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 23:59:59 »
Hello Steamengineerpmw!

The saddle tank you saw at Chislet could've been either the Bagnall 0-4-0ST, the Peckett 0-4-0ST, or the Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0ST.
Off the top of my head, both the 0-4-0ST's were scrapped, whilst the 0-6-0ST made it into preservation, see:
 http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/chislet.htm

The NCB's 'Austerity' locos in Kent were Betteshanger locos, I've never come across any mention of them working at Chislet. Two were scrapped on site at Betteshanger and the third was transferred to Snowdown, and subsequently preserved.

As Sentinel mentions 'P' class 31027 that worked there is also preserved, but it was never a NCB loco, of course, just being on hire from BR on occasions. [Ex-LSWR B4's were also hired out to Chislet]

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 17:59:11 »
I have mentioned in a post somewhere here that both the P class and Pecket made it into preservation on the Blue Bell Railway in Sussex. I have no idea whether the Pecket is still there but the P certainly is.

S4.

steamengineerpmw

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:30 »
Hello,

This is my first posting to this forum and hopefully one of the readers will be able to offer some information.
My enquiry concerns the fate of the steam engines at Chislet Colliery after closure of the pit.
I can remember seeing the silhouette of a saddle tank engine sitting on the coal spoil heap, it was visible when travelling by bus from Margate to Canterbury just before the bus entered Hersden village. I was only about 10 years of age at the time, c1971 and would have been travelling to Canterbury for a shopping trip or sightseeing.
From memory I think the engine was left standing there for a year or two, seemingly never moving. I wonder what happened to it and whether it was one of the NCB Austerity engines or the smaller Chislet Pecket engine?
Any information would be helpful in clearing up this research of my childhood memories.

Best regards

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:35 »
I can remember her in green after the pit closed, about 1970, working out on the slag heap propelling a couple of internal use trucks. She look awful in silver. Thanks for posting.

S4.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 01:45:30 »
A couple of photos of the ex-Cadbury Bourneville Peckett 0-4-0ST [2156/55] at Chislet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/5686655306/sizes/l/in/pool-1191229@N23/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/4644098901/

This second photo shows it painted in a silver colour to match the Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0ST that also worked there.

IanDB

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 17:01:46 »
Pit bottom roadways at Chislet Colliery leading to the East and South east Districts of the mine.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 18:48:36 »
From what I understand, talking to my Father who was an Engineer at St Augustine's, the main reason for the demise of Chislet was the coal itself. He has told me that it was Top Grade Steam and Coking Coal. One of the main buyers of the steam coal was the Southern Railway, steam ended in '68, and the fact that around that time we were converting to Natural Gas, thereby ending the need for coking coal. The best steam coal in the country however was produced at Betteshanger, 1900's I believe was the seam. I have a chart here somewhere listing the Calorific Value, Ash content, clinker content and several other factors. It makes interesting reading and is very surprising to find that we had the best coal in the UK right here in Kent.

As soon as I find the chart I will scan it and post it here, all I have to do is remember which book it is in.

S4.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 17:22:07 »
That's nice to hear IanDB, to be honest I'd not thought of it being a 'community spirit' thing, I can't say there's an awful lot of that spirit around these days. The only time I experience it in my local area is when it's snowing like the clappers and I meet people out on a nice walk in it ( I like snow  :))
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

IanDB

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 16:40:49 »
we had a trip to Chislet Colliery to show off our skills at dancing round a Maypole  :) I really can't think why it happened now , why would miners be interested in seeing something like that ?

Lyn.....you'd be surprised. There was a fabulous community spirit in the mining villages. Sports days were arranged, dance competitions and a whole host of other events took place throughout the year. The Colliery Welfare Club was built in the late '50's to support the village and it's miners and as far as I know is still active today.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines