News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Velocette Agent Duncan Rd Gillingham  (Read 10982 times)

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Re: Velocette Agent Duncan Rd Gillingham
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 21:37:18 »
As far as I recall Frank Myers had a shop at the bottom of Sturla Rd, Chatham, you could also get a few spares on a Sunday morning from his home. He lived in a bungalow on the right of Walderslade Rd about 200 yds before the Poachers Pocket heading out of Chatham.

Your quite right about walderslade road he  had a very missed bike breakers there well into the 1980s.
sturla road was somene else looking at this thread http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18848.0
Bluebeard none the less !
I know my Brother bought a venom from Gillingham from a dealership owned by frank but sadly he is no longer with us to confirm the precise location.
Does anyone remember the bike shop in ingram road run by Herman the German a character to say the least used to go there to get old british parts? He used to have a tin leg and rode round on a trike .

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:58 »
Mention is made of Burtons Garage. My Grandfather, John George Hanington, bought the Garage in the late '40's. He had an Austin agency together with a Morgan agency. The Garage also stocked carburettor spares, I believe mainly Zenith, SU and Dellorto. They also made many of the Road Signs for Kent. After his death my Grandmother kept the Garage going, selling it to L. Robinson a family friend.

I think John Hannington & family lived in a big house in Second Avenue, Gillingham. Is that so?

Itchytietoe

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 16:54:53 »
Mention is made of Burtons Garage. My Grandfather, John George Hanington, bought the Garage in the late '40's. He had an Austin agency together with a Morgan agency. The Garage also stocked carburettor spares, I believe mainly Zenith, SU and Dellorto. They also made many of the Road Signs for Kent. After his death my Grandmother kept the Garage going, selling it to L. Robinson a family friend.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 07:58:13 »
As far as I recall Frank Myers had a shop at the bottom of Sturla Rd, Chatham, you could also get a few spares on a Sunday morning from his home. He lived in a bungalow on the right of Walderslade Rd about 200 yds before the Poachers Pocket heading out of Chatham.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 22:05:18 »
Could the dealership be Frank Myers? It was still going in the late 1970s when I started in bikes.

Offline Chris

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 15:37:45 »
Peterchall, the Burton's garage closed about two years ago and is now a car wash. The Lucas garage opposite has been knocked down.
Burtons were definitely there in 1950, and I don't know for how much earlier; I certainly remember them for at least part of my apprenticeship, 1945-1950, because we used to get carb parts there. So if they closed only two years ago they must be one of the longest existing garages in the area - at least 60 years. Even if it had changed hands and was no longer Burton's, the site must still have served longer as a garage than almost any other one in the area. Can anyone think of a site that has been in continuous use for as long?

Burtons Garage was owned by L. Robinsons (Jubilee Clips), it was finaly closed in 2007 when all the L. Robinson units were moved to Owens Way. Most of the employees went to Owens Way.

Offline rochester1

• Appreciation 18
  • 1936 - 22.03.2017
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 13:42:35 »
re; Precision Garage. Velocette Dealer in Borough Road, Gillingham.

In 1957 I purchased a 1938 MAC Velocette privately. Registration COT657, which meant for spare parts there was only one option and that was Precision Garage. The owner was known to me as 'Bish' and he was a most pedantic gentleman. Being young and what I considered trendy I tried to purchase items I thought would enhance my pre war motor cycle. He refused to sell me anything that would 'upgrade' said vehicle. Not only that, but a friend of mine asked Bish if he would get him a brand new Japanese Honda Benly. Bish once again refused on the basis of; what they had done to our lads during the war!
I purchased a two year old 1955 Velo MAC from him in 1957 and it was wonderful. Bish held almost any spare part one could wish for and it was almost impossible to ask for the wrong thing. He was great. the garage was fantastic and he was a one off! Would there were more like him.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 09:23:00 »
Thanks to Numanfan's Car Dealer Adverts I've got my answer, Precision Garage Ltd., Borough Rd., Gillingham. Someone please tell me this is somewhere near the old Plaza  :) Strangelights had garage right.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 19:53:25 »
That's Franklin Road, Smiler.   Could the place you mean be the garage at the Livingstone Circus end on the right as you go down from Aldi's ( The Plazza)?
It was on the left going towards Livingstone, talking about the 60s

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 19:46:07 »
Thanks, thats right! Franklin Rd about halfway along, if I remember right there was also a place somewhere there that did re chroming?

Offline skipraider

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 16:03:10 »
There was a bike shop along Franklin Road but it used to deal in scooters, either Vespa or Lambretta or both.

It was called Myers. Vespa/Piaggio dealer. I bought a Vespa 50 Special from them in 1980.
Now it's a wheel/tyre place I think.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 23:43:14 »
There was a bike shop along Franklin Road but it used to deal in scooters, either Vespa or Lambretta or both.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 21:33:36 »
That's Franklin Road, Smiler.   Could the place you mean be the garage at the Livingstone Circus end on the right as you go down from Aldi's ( The Plazza)?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 19:17:40 »
I've got the name of the road wrong. It was I think the road opposite the Plaza. I sold my Velocette Viper to them in the 60s, it was definitely not the road with Burtons Garage in it. Sorry about the mix up.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 15:45:00 »
Peterchall, the Burton's garage closed about two years ago and is now a car wash. The Lucas garage opposite has been knocked down.
Burtons were definitely there in 1950, and I don't know for how much earlier; I certainly remember them for at least part of my apprenticeship, 1945-1950, because we used to get carb parts there. So if they closed only two years ago they must be one of the longest existing garages in the area - at least 60 years. Even if it had changed hands and was no longer Burton's, the site must still have served longer as a garage than almost any other one in the area. Can anyone think of a site that has been in continuous use for as long?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines