News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buses  (Read 39274 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: Buses
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2018, 17:36:01 »
This thread has now become a little frustrating as it started out from a photograph dated approximately 1920 but now someone has updated the site with information from the 1950s and 1960s..  Someone ought, if at all possible, to separate this more recent material from the much older material.  otherwise this thread has lost its usefulness.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 15:58:04 »
Maidstone & District bought mainly AEC coaches in the 50's and 60's nearly all had Harrington coachwork.
The buses however were a mixed bag, mainly Leyland but also Guy, Bristol, AEC and Daimler. Bodywork was by many suppliers such as Weyman and Leyland etc.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 23:11:11 »
peterj. What happened to AEC? I seem to remember quite a lot of the M&D buses were based on their chassis/engine? Duple bodies?

AEC was ruthlessly killed of by Leyland in the 1970s and who then went on to commit suicide themselves. Although the National Bus Company (formed 1968) was firmly wedded to Leyland Group products, East Kent was amongst a handful of subsidiaries who were permitted to continue taking AEC products in the short term.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 20:26:02 »
peterj. What happened to AEC? I seem to remember quite a lot of the M&D buses were based on their chassis/engine? Duple bodies?

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 16:01:32 »
The grand reopening of Dover transport museum is this Sunday 14th January and is well worth a visit, in their car park at present is former Maidstone & District 381 BKM which has been "rescued" from Swansea Bus museum who were stripping it for parts. This unique AEC Reliance coach dates from 1957 and has a Harrington Wayfarer touring body fitted with side cant roof windows. There is another AEC Reliance down there which has a Duple coach body fitted.
link;      https://www.dovertransportmuseum.org.uk/

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2018, 21:37:52 »
Early livery details of M&D vehicles is quite complicated
KK3788, when delivered in 1914 was in red & white. In the same year 15 vehicles were delivered, 1 x red & white, 1 x red & blue, 1 x red & black and 12 in plain green.
There is no record of the colour of KK 2395 when delivered, but it does appear to be in just one rather than two colours. Perhaps plain green?
Green & cream was not adopted across the fleet until 1919. I wonder if the photo was taken when KK 3788 was repainted into the new fleet colours C1919 / 20? The crew are certainly posing nicely either side of the scroll.
Info from the M&D Fleet History..

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2018, 20:31:03 »
The `familiar ` dark green M&D livery dates from the formation of the neighbouring East Kent company in 1916. Previously Flexman-French had mainly used red and cream for his buses, including those based at Margate that formed part of EK. Tilling, the largest EK constituent also used red and cream. Rather than the two companies both being red, with possible confusion for passengers, M&D switched to using the `green of the `British` BAT group who had taken shares in the company and their Deal based operation adopted Tilling red.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2018, 17:24:45 »
The interesting thing about this is that the Tilling-Stevens is in the familiar M&D livery with the M&D name in the form of a scroll.  The Leyland behind seems to be in the earlier livery, presumably similar to that worn by the preserved Hallford.  I am not sure when the familiar livery was adopted but it must have been in the early 1920s.  These Tilling-Stevens TS3 vehicles were long-lived by the standards of earlier vehicles and were rebuilt in the mid-1920s to TS6 specification.  I believe there were also some TS6 vehicles bought new at about that time.  One survives as a preserved vehicle but I am not sure where it is kept or whether it is in need of restoration.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2017, 19:07:55 »
I spotted that as well, felt almost smug :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2017, 13:19:09 »
Interesting that most of the information cited in that wiki entry refers back to the KHF!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2017, 00:07:37 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2017, 20:30:23 »
A lovely photo smiffy.
I think it was taken in Palace Ave. Maidstone, opposite to the Mill St. Bus Station. The Len is behind the stone wall.
As you say KK 3788 is a Tilling Stevens and was new in 1914.
Kn 2395 is a Leyland, new in 1919.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2017, 19:38:11 »
An early picture of a couple of M&D buses, taken if not before the first world war, then almost certainly very soon after. The front one is a Tilling Stevens, service No.1 Maidstone and Chatham. I can't determine the make of the other one but the service is No.3 Maidstone and Faversham.

I can't identify the location - presumably it's somewhere in Maidstone?

preserje21

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 21:17:06 »
Wow - thank you, Peterchall in particular. The 90 rings a bell - we would not have started to go there before maybe 1961/2 as my grandfather retired in 1960 and they were living in Hayes near Bromley before retiring to Rotherfield. I seem to recall that we did not always have to change at Mark Cross, and also seem to recall that we had a choice of buses to Mark Cross, and I have a dim memory of conductors, but always just the driver on the little bus down to Rotherfield station. Maybe they curtailed the Tun Wells to Mark Cross section of the 90, maybe just at weekends (when we would most likely be travelling). I don't recall ever waiting at Mark Cross - there was a direct connection. I do remember now that the stops in Tun Wells were called the War Memorial, and think I was told that the grand building was the library. I think it was mostly the 191 we caught to Mark Cross. Thank you so much for filling in these details. One other thing I have forgotten from my Green Rover days in the late '60s was the M&D route (again an unusually small bus) from Sevenoaks to Borough Green garage using the back roads - beautiful trip, especially in spring with all the blossom - can't remember that route number either.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 20:58:15 »
The 'timetable point' is "Tunbridge Wells, War Memorial" and the bus stops are still there. Facing the War Memorial the left hand building is the Library and the right hand one is the Town Hall/Assembly Hall, but agreed that the entrance to the latter is round the corner off Crescent Road.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines