News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aveling & Porter  (Read 16050 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Aveling & Porter
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2017, 19:30:15 »
Love these early Rollers. The thickness of the front rolls is just fantastic, a very long wheel base as well, and that massive heavy headstock. A pity none of these cone rollers has survived in original condition. I believe that there is a former cone roller rebuilt with cylindrical roll still around. I certainly have seen a bobbin steered roller in the 1990's at Sellindge. Fantastic pic. Thanks for posting .

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 14:17:58 »
That detailed etching answers my question what the "thingy" on the boiler by the chimney was. Bracket for a running Lamp . :)

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2017, 23:07:29 »
Looks like Ramsbottom (spelling from Google!) valves with the springs just aft of the chimney.

I think they are too.  And Conans lovely pic confirms it.  It also nicely dates the Rochester image which I guessed at 1880 or therabouts.

DTT

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 18:44:40 »
Looks like Ramsbottom (spelling from Google!) valves with the springs just aft of the chimney.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 14:12:03 »
Here's a clear view of what appears to be the same model of roller dated 1875

From this website

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Aveling_and_Porter
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 58
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 13:45:53 »
This is the original size, but I'm not sure there is much improvement in the detail.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 07:27:21 »
Looks like a compound engine,would the safety valves be the vague things showing at the cylinder block end?

You are right, I think.   It does look like it might be a compound when you zoom in.  I see your point about the vague things on the end of the cylinder.  I had thought they were displacement lubricators but happy to be corrected.  I wonder if the engine has early ramsbotham (I might have the spelling incorrect) safety valves and that they are just smaller, and therefore less visible.  An interesting pic nonetheless.  Perhaps smiffy has a better scan/resolution.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2017, 23:53:48 »
Looks like a compound engine,would the safety valves be the vague things showing at the cylinder block end?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2017, 15:28:20 »
That is a really early engine Smiffy. The clues are 1) external bobbin steering:  2) conical front rolls (as opposed to standard cylidrical rolls:.3) the really, really heavy headstock/forecarriage head over the top of the front roll and this is the bit I cannot fathom, I cannot see where the safety valves are located. 
DTT

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 58
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2017, 14:21:21 »
St Margaret's Street, Rochester c.1880:

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2017, 14:54:11 »
Thanks conan. It would appear that by " crude" they meant " not refined". i.e. " any old cheap oil you can get".

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 20:31:01 »
The Aveling at the Brook is a single cylinder.  It is started by lighting a so called fizzer, which essentially looks like a cigarette.  This is held in a special holder inserted into the end of the cylnder. 

Just the same as the old Single Cylinder Field Marshall`s. Supposed to fit a cartridge to start but they cost money, so a bit of rolled up rag lit and stuffed in the cartridge breech instead and 2 blokes to spin it up.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 19:24:41 »
I know of a roller driver who, when the single drive pin fell out of the wheel while going down hill (thus disengaging the drive and rendering brakes and engine braking inoperative) dropped his scarifier to stop. it was early one morning and nobody was about so he found and replaced the pin, raised the scarifier, rolled the damaged surface and went on his way!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 14:17:36 »
The Scarafier (? spelling) was used for ripping up pre-tar Macadam roads. They would rip (Scarafy) the surface then roll it flat again to get the surface back and fill pot-holes. They can be adjusted for depth and are generally fitted to the back axle of the roller, (either side). Sadly when tarred surfaces came into being the norm they fell out of use.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 22:41:55 »
grandarog ...

Without evidence I can only go on my memory, of 45+ years ago.  I was the cranker, not yet old enough to drive (officially), so it is possible I was either misinformed, or have misremembered.  I do remember it as a pig, it had a habit of kicking back on occasions, so you always had to stand carefully.  IIRC there were decompressors like a diesel and it was when the driver closed them it could kick back - or is my memory totally shot?  5:1 would not be enough to diesel, I agree.  However don't get hung up on octanes, they are only relevant when compressing the charge.  Inject at/near TDC removes any issue of pre-ignition, witness that older (absolutely NOT modern) diesel cars could apparently run on petrol or petrol/oil mixes.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines