News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Radio Station at Beacon Hill Chattenden  (Read 10212 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Radio Station at Beacon Hill Chattenden
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 20:13:02 »
LREM  =   Leading Radio Electrical Mechanic,   Royal Navy. :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 00:22:30 »
Nice memories Les Kirkden, please tell us what the acronym LREM stands for? :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Les Kirkden

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 20:27:37 »
I was the LREM at Beacon Hill from 23 June 1964 to 29 Mar 1965 prior to my release. Along with Chief Telegraphist Fagg , 6 REMS & Trixie our alation guard dog. Also a load of geese in the station field to keep the grass down.The chief lived in Gillingham so lived ashore & so I was allowed the bungalow for my wife & family until another chief took over & wanted the bungalow (Chief "Bogie" Knight ). I went back several times 1990s @ was able to stroll around the camp area but the main field was locked. I went back on  last Mon 10 Oct but there is now a big steel gate a little way up the road so I'm glad I went back on my earlier visits Anybody else from those years?

Printerfixerman

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 22:27:29 »
I was based here whilst in the Navy.

05/11/80 - 02/09/81 Beacon Hill, Chatham, Kent.
                      Transmitter Station Watchkeeper (working shifts).
                      H.F Transmitters/U.H.F Transmitters &
                      Receivers/Aerial Maintenance.
                      In charge of general running of junior rates
                      messdeck.

It was a manned transmitter station at that time, mainly for the local area, Transmitter Hall on one side & living quarters on the other side of the road, one of the few places where everyone had their own room, a very small base by Navy standards & one where you got to know everybody well. There was a roster for cooking our own food, with us being pretty much self contained. I was in charge of the living quarters area whilst based there. There was even a station dog called Cindy who used to hide under the table if anyone mentioned a bath. There used to be chickens kept there as well, I remember one incident when one of the junior ratings woke up to find all the chickens in his room, complete with the resulting mess. Another joke was to get someone new to take a saucer of milk to the transmitter hall to feed TiDuMS (TDMS stood for Telegraph Distortion Measuring Set, one of the pieces of test equipment on site). I used to use CB radio from there at the time & talk on it all over the world, before the current band was legalised, I later moved on to getting a full radio amateurs licence & did the legal version. All staff worked in shifts in the transmitter hall which was manned 24/7 & we had to change frequencies on the transmitters at different times of the day & night to keep circuits constantly in use.

I must have just missed you I left November 80 leaving the RN in Jan 81....Adrian Shorter

manokent

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 18:22:01 »
Rewind:  The station was operated by the army during the war - I used to go into the NAAFFI there as a youngster. One time I was carried home in a large cardboard box by a couple of the squaddies when it tipped it down.
 They used the fields on Beacon Hill for training, I recall the red plumes from the smoke grenades and had a fair collection of 202 clips, with contents, hidden away.

merc

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:45:31 »
Here's a recent picture of the building. I couldn't see any sign of what it's being used for now though. The site is alarmed and there are MOD in the area.

Here's an article about the jamming of the pirate radio station:

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 269
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 21:18:04 »
I went there as a kid with my dad many years ago - the Navy had it then. To my knowledge, at that time, it was actually the transmitting and receiving station for HMS Wildfire when that was in the ACHQ bunker in Medway Road. I believe there is, or was, a cable running under the river carrying the traffic to and from the bunker.

There were racks of radio equipment in a building there, loads of knobs and dials which I, as an 11 year old kid at the time, thought looked like something out of a science fiction film.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

merc

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 17:13:23 »
Several years ago they were using part of the grounds and building as stables. I saw them doing some excavating work in the grounds a few years ago. I'm not sure of its current status though.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
Radio Station at Beacon Hill Chattenden
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 15:53:55 »
What's the current status of the old radio station at Beacon Hill Chattenden? Looking at Google Earth, the building is still there and there also seems to be some aerials near it. In 1970 It was used to jam out an offshore pirate radio station, and there was also a large protest there with BBC TV news in attendance.
Derek Brice

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines