News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Paddock/Shrubbery, Chatham  (Read 12439 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: The Paddock/Shrubbery, Chatham
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 16:58:07 »
The Paddock seems to have had a name change around about the time of the first war. Before this time it always seems to have been called the Shrubbery. I'd like to know why it was renamed the Paddock, as for some time it had already ceased to be used for grazing animals whilst beforehand when it was called the Shrubbery it had!

manokent

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:46 »
Thanks Leowine - I knew they were there when I were a lad- turn your back and it all changes.
They were obviously standard barracks as there were similar buildings in Chattenden Barracks.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 13:03:25 »
Does anyone recall the army? quarters between the Town Hall and Brompton?  Several floors of standard yellow brick with steel walkways and stanchions painted green?

Do you mean these? http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10517.0
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 11:21:45 »
Boots was not actually on the corner of Military Road/High Street - that was the Red Lion pub, later Samuels (Jewellers). Boots went round behind that (ie - inverted L-shape)

I believe the army quarters you refer to were near the entrance to Fort Amherst and were one type of standard married quarters. They consisted of flats with the upper floor accesed by external steel staircase and an external steel walkway along the front. They were in Shornecliffe Camp in 1935. There was also one at Dover, just round the corner from the main road at the top of the hill, going towards the Bleriot Memorial, although the walkways have now been removed and it seems to be converted into masionettes.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

manokent

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:57 »
One of those things you wish you hadn't started but I've always been curious about the burial ground - at least with the internet we have input and info.

The person concerned lived in Gillingham and knew Chatham well. I always had the impression there was something odd about his statement which led me to believe there was some truth in it. Perhaps they started it then changed their minds and put the Shrubbery over it or whatever. It definitely wasn't the one behind the Town hall.

I consulted the Oracle, which I should have done in the first place, and she adds a few bits. She watched the Ian Carmichael film 'Left, Right & Centre, being filmed in the Paddock and the row of trees, as old photos, were still there.  The Medway Civil Defence Officer was Wing Commander Mugford (not as I said) but I was correct in my thesis on the CD HQ in Military Rd. (I have found photos of CD members in the 1960s if any read this)
The Gillingham HQ was a large underground bunker by the Municipal Buildings. (it was complete with food/water stocks etc) and had a permanently ticking tannoy connected to the War Office which, if it stopped, gave you the regulation four minutes warning. We even believed it!

She adds a few bits: By the traffic lights in Military Rd - Boots was on the corner with Chatham High St with entrances in both roads. Sidney Ross -prams etc was close by.
Gieves were in Military road.

Does anyone recall the army? quarters between the Town Hall and Brompton?  Several floors of standard yellow brick with steel walkways and stanchions painted green?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 10:00:47 »
Further scope for confusion is that The Paddock was a fairly major road connecting Clover Street to Railway Street, shown on the 1907 map and existing well into the post-war era. It still exists as the road on the ‘bank’ above Best Street.
Thank goodness for the explanation davidt.  I was getting so confused.  Think Peterchall`s explanation re Paddock and Town Hall Gardens is corrrect.

seafordpete

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:48 »
Aaah how to confuse me. My references to Paddock were all the New road area. Bowls club is shown at the N side of Paddock (the road).

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 23:41:38 »
There's room for even more confusion here by the fact that 'The Paddock' is a road as well as the grassy area near the town hall. The 1909 map refers to what is now generally known as The Paddock as 'The Shrubbery'. The Paddock is shown on the map as the road from Railway Street to Best Street. The police station and the two rectories referred to by Seafordpete are in New Road, backing onto The Paddock (road). The only bowling green I'm aware of was in that sort of area and was behind The Mitre Hotal in the High Street and therefore within the square formed by the High Street, Railway Street, The Paddock and Meeting House Lane. It was the home of Chatham Bowling Club until 1909 when the club moved to its present site in Palmerston Road behind Chatham Football Ground. I'm not aware that The Paddock (garden) was ever a bowling green. Unless Seafordpete's maps show otherwise.....

I've looked through my postcards of The Paddock and quite a few are captioned 'Town Hall and Gardens' which technically isn't wrong as they are 'gardens', just not the 'Town Hall Gardens'. Postcards are quite often incorrectly captioned though as I have one which refers to Military Road as the High Street and another which claims to be High Street Rochester when it is clearly Chatham.

seafordpete

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 16:45:51 »
Old maps show Burial ground behind the TH up until 1899, 1909 shows it as Town Hall Gardens
Paddock is garden, Bowling Green  & Paddock Terrace on 1868, 1899 and later show Bowling Green, Paddock Terrace and 2 Rectories- St Johns & St Marys behind the Police Stn

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 16:14:44 »

I find it hard to believe that the Paddock was used for burials as late as the 20th century without anyone here having heard about it. Surely this must indicate there is some confusion here between the Paddock and the Town Hall gardens? I don't want to dismiss this out of hand, but the only evidence we have so far comes from a single source which is manokent's neighbour. If he himself heard this from a third party, then it's easy to see how things can later become confused.

The pub that people are referring to was probably The Old George, famous for its ornate mirrors.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 16:05:34 »
Perechall , your right unless you know Medway you probably would think the Paddock was the town hall gardens and as the Town hall gardens are well out of sight of the casual tourist, you would not know that they was a burial ground and not the Paddock.
***I am still the child within***

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 15:59:18 »
Just to add further to the confusion, next to the Military Burial ground was the (civil) Chatham Burial Ground. When this became too small the burial ground was moved to Maidstone Road, and the old burial ground (civil) eventually became the Town Hall Gardens (pic below).
I don't know how familiar with the town Manokent's neighbour was, but the official 'Town Hall Gardens' are well out of sight and he may not have known of them or, if he did, he may not have known what they were called. Thus, hearing or reading about the 'Town Hall Gardens' would he not naturally think of the Paddock? I'm sure that if a casual visitor to Chatham was asked to guess where the Town Hall gardens were, they would reply "Opposite the Town Hall". So have we cracked it?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 14:00:43 »
I remember the pub with the mirrors by the Paddock. In the 1969/70 we visited Medway quite often to see the progress being made on our new house. We would have a pint in that pub whilst waiting for our Maidstone and District coach to take us back to London.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 13:46:39 »
I am sure I read some place that The Paddock was a piece of land given by someone important ? as a place to enjoy and walk around in either the 1800's or early 1900's though im not sure so please correct me ,I do remember when in the 60s it was temporary shops and a pub called I think The Chatham arms  i have been inside (in 1971) as this pub too looked temporary , not a nice drinking hole .The bus stops where along each side of military road here . I have never heard any where that it was a burial ground and only know the one in the Town hall gardens near the pathway to the great Lines near the courthouse.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 13:36:53 »
However, the whole affair is ripe for confusion. There is a postcard c1905 showing the Paddock/Shrubbery in the foreground and titled “Town Hall and Gardens”, implying that they are the ‘Town Hall Gardens’:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4412.msg85761#msg85761

Yet in both the 1907 OS map, and today, the “Town Hall Gardens” are behind the buildings on the north side of The Brook, with the military burial ground adjacent in 1907. Is that how the link arises – ‘Paddock/Shrubbery’, also unofficially called ‘Town Hall Gardens’, confused with the official Town Hall Gardens where there was once a burial ground? Just a thought.

Just to add further to the confusion, next to the Military Burial ground was the (civil) Chatham Burial Ground. When this became too small the burial ground was moved to Maidstone Road, and the old burial ground (civil) eventually became the Town Hall Gardens (pic below).

Town Hall Gardens (formerly the burial ground), Chatham c.1910
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines