News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Sail & Colour Loft. Built 1723  (Read 21176 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
Re: The Sail & Colour Loft. Built 1723
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 18:45:41 »
Pics restored...

CliveH, they certainly do come from the Sail and Colour Loft. I remember putting them in there back in the day. I also seem to remember they were back-breakingly heavy. I can't say if they're still there, from what I recall (and this was six years ago), the Trust was planning on selling them.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 07:07:57 »
On a recent visit to the Dockyard Library I found these stored away in Anchor Wharf Storehouse No.2. Presumably they originated from the Sail & Colour Loft?

cliveh

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 30
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 20:15:36 »
Bilgerat's post # 14   -

The doors at the top of the staircase leadiing to the sail loft. I wonder what the rollers each side of the top of the staircase were for?

The rollers were to stop sails being snagged by the doorframes when they were being manhandled through the doorways.

Cheers

Helcion

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 20:05:13 »
Here is the flag my nan worked on.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 09:30:22 »
I used to work at Blue Circle, Northfleet and when a visitor from abroad was due I had to collect a flag of his nation. I used to get them from a supplier in the London docks but when they closed we were told of this place at Chatham. Very handy!
mmitch.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 05:49:23 »
First time I've come across this thread, very interesting. Although I worked in the Dockyard a few years as a shipfitter, it always amazes me just how much went on in there. Thanks for the photos Bilgerat, appreciated.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 23:58:42 »
A picture I found in the Sail and Colour Loft of the sail loft in action:

Some pictures of the sailmaking machines:

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:59 »
Here's a couple of scans of an article about the Colour Loft from an 1899 issue of 'The Black & White' magazine:

cliveh

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 18:44:43 »
Thanks for the pic Janetlinda  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 17:46:44 »

Nan working on Machine in Colour Loft.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 15:59:29 »
I have found a photo of nan at her sewing machine making a flag, I will ask my son to upload it later.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 12:56:21 »
A postcard of the "Colour Makers' Shop" c1904:

cliveh

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 19:49:06 »
Went in there again today. The last occupant was simply called 'The Flagmakers'. Also, only the 2nd floor (where the Flagmakers were) is to be gutted and converted to office space. The reason for that is that the Trust themselves are planning on moving in and renting out the space they use at the moment in the Old Surgery and the Admirals Office buildings. The machinery in there will probably be moved upstairs to the now empty Sail Loft. Heres some more pics:

Details of the recycled ships timbers used in its construction

The doors at the top of the staircase leadiing to the sail loft. I wonder what the rollers each side of the top of the staircase were for?

Loading door in the Sail Loft. There's a crane on the wall outside, presumably for lowering completed sails down to waiting wagons to take them to the ships.

Finally, how many people remember the old government issue loo roll, cunningly disguised as tracing paper?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 21:15:30 »
Sentinel et al, I totally understand the sentiment about the historical aspect of the building being preserved. However, the Historic Dockyard is a business and businesses, even charites, have to make money to survive. The cold, hard reality is that in the Sail Loft, there are several thousand square feet of floor space empty and not earning their keep. If a viable sail and flag making business was going to move in, they would have done so in the six years it's been empty. The fact that none have tells it's own story. Restoring and maintaining historic buildings and ships and the rest of it doesn't come cheap. The ropery is an exception, there is a viable business using that building for its intended purpose and making enough money to support itself and contribute to the the Historic Dockyard in more ways than one.  It's a sad fact that the Dockyard needs to exploit every opportunity it can find to make money to support itself because the grants and other funding sources are great, but the Dockyard can't survive on those alone.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 19:38:32 »
With all the new build industrial estates and so forth going up in the area are they really in need of more that a historic building gets its heart ripped out?
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines