News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chiesmans Maidstone  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
Re: Chiesmans Maidstone
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:18 »
The ground floor of what was Chiesmans is now an Indian restaurant, the upper floors seem to have been turned into flats, from what I remember, this part was like a rabbit warren, with floors on various levels and lots of little stair wells.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 23:17:07 »
If I remember rightly this basement area was separated on closure to become a nightclub/bar in the late 1980s?

sparrowmuscles

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 22:53:37 »
Forgot to add -that 10/- included carrying the takings to Barclays bank every morning (with Mrs Giles). Being security conscious we used to go 11am sharp every day.
Pete, My Mum used to do Fire Watch at County Hall with Joyce Broad [she who worked in the accounts bit] Small world!
I was on 4/10 a week take home then [including commission!]

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:35 »
Forgot to add -that 10/- included carrying the takings to Barclays bank every morning (with Mrs Giles). Being security conscious we used to go 11am sharp every day.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:11:38 »
Don't remember the perfume store but the cash vault was at the back of the basement where the days takings and floats were held overnight before going up to the "Counting House"  for checking & banking. I used to collect the bags each night - got the fantastic amout of 10/- (50p) a week for it. Cowdrey married Stuart Chiesmans daughter (Penelope?) seemingly the old man wasn't keen on him as he bequethed him only a pair of cufflinks.

sparrowmuscles

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:46:29 »
Colin Cowdrey no less

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:51:01 »
Didn`t the great Kent and England batsmen marry one of the Chiesman family?

sparrowmuscles

Chiesmans Maidstone
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 00:26:19 »
There was at least one tunnel leading from the basement of Chiesmans leading in the direction of the river. Chiesmans used part of it as a perfume store.
What happened to the basement?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines