News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Boating Lake  (Read 13731 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Sheerness Boating Lake
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 00:33:20 »

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 20:45:03 »
The paddling pond was the one near the Fairground ( I lived in 21 Winstanley Road then ) ,and the Boating Lake  ,or Canal Bank  boating lake ( I lived in 14.St.Helens road then ) is the correct name for them ,I remember them both very well .The paddling pond ,where we were never allowed to paddle I used many times and fell in the water twice ( every lad would fall in the water  sailing their little homemade boats ) and  we made sure that we never fell in the very muddy boating lake
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Steve OBray

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 19:52:01 »
Hi my name is Graham White I was a friend of the Obray family from the early 1950s i would help paint the boats in the winter and help with the customers in the summer fill the paper bags with soot and flour for the miller and sweep fights from two small boats at the regattas, also tow the customers back from the far end of the canal when the wind was to strong for them to return. we did not  enter the regatta races as it was believed we would have a good advantage.I have lived in Folkestone for more then 40 years if you remember me please Email all the best GRAHAM
Hi Graham my name is Steve O'Bray my father is Dave O'Bray and he built many of the boats you talked about. My grandfather Bob O'Bray started the boating lake when he left the Royal air Force. If you have any photos from the boating lake I would love to see them as we don't have any. I was a small child when the boating lake was in full swing and remember little from them days. But my dad would love to see them. He is in his 70's now.

seafordpete

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 18:39:18 »
Wasn't the one by the fair always called the Paddling Pool? Hand cranked paddle boats on it in the 1950s. To me the Boating lake was out towards Halfway

RETSUB12

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 17:28:11 »
 Hi my name is Graham White I was a friend of the Obray family from the early 1950s i would help paint the boats in the winter and help with the customers in the summer fill the paper bags with soot and flour for the miller and sweep fights from two small boats at the regattas, also tow the customers back from the far end of the canal when the wind was to strong for them to return. we did not  enter the regatta races as it was believed we would have a good advantage.I have lived in Folkestone for more then 40 years if you remember me please Email all the best GRAHAM

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:16 »
This is quite a recnet paddling pool and is still there as far as I am aware. When I worked this area in the 90's I was constantly having to go here due to smashed glass in the pool and graffitti in the shelters. The sandpit (ex boat pond) was no better with glass and needles!!

darrenh

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:45:06 »
The only boating lake I knew was the small round one between the railway station and the seawall, beside the fairground as seen in Trev's postcards linked by darrenh. The one in the canal came later, after I'd left the island, and apparently was short-lived. I was expecting a picture to go with Smiler's post, his directions don't mean much without a picture.

There was a period, possibly 1940-45, without boats when it was used as a paddling pool and bathing pool for small children, it was at most 2 ft deep in the middle, or more likely 18in. I very nearly learnt to swim there. Perhaps that's why I only knew it as a pool, not a lake. But I see from Trev's postcards that it it was mostly known as a lake, but it's a pool on a couple of them (possibly late 40s). His earliest cards of the lake could be late 30s.

there was an additional paddling further along the sea wall.  pictures on trev site

http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/32216720

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:59:14 »
I am not talking about the small lake [pond] in colin haggarts reply #4 Sheppy Bottles & minsterboy are right and sylvaticus my directions did say half a mile outside of Sheerness and sorry I don't have a photo.

Minsterboy

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:58 »
As somebody who's lived on Sheppey since being born in 1947, the pool by the fair was always known as the Paddling Pool, although it did have small boats on it at one time, the canal between the Halway Road and Bartons Point was known as the Boating Lake.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 23:50:54 »
The only boating lake I knew was the small round one between the railway station and the seawall, beside the fairground as seen in Trev's postcards linked by darrenh. The one in the canal came later, after I'd left the island, and apparently was short-lived. I was expecting a picture to go with Smiler's post, his directions don't mean much without a picture.

There was a period, possibly 1940-45, without boats when it was used as a paddling pool and bathing pool for small children, it was at most 2 ft deep in the middle, or more likely 18in. I very nearly learnt to swim there. Perhaps that's why I only knew it as a pool, not a lake. But I see from Trev's postcards that it it was mostly known as a lake, but it's a pool on a couple of them (possibly late 40s). His earliest cards of the lake could be late 30s.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 23:07:12 »
You are right, Sheppey Bottles, it look like there is a bit of confusion over which boating lake, after Smiler's post.
Most people refer to the boating lake being the one by the amusements, I guess that is because the other one by the canal has not been used for many years, so may be it's been forgoten about, it's the one by the fair that most folk talk and know about.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 23:02:56 »
I thought the boating lake refered to ran into Bartons point at one end and came out near monkey farm on the halfway Road. I have not lived on the island that long but seem to remember boats being hired in the corner by the canal bank Just down from monkey farm. They used to feed the ducks in that corner as well but they seem to have gone now. This was salty water ( and still is) with crabs and jellyfish, across the other side of the road it was freshwater where we caught Rudd and Tench. I bet I have got the wrong lake :) if so I will get my coat!

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 22:55:11 »
My photo of the boating lake, taken in the mid 1980s, now it's a sand pit.

Minsterboy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 19:10:51 »
It was run by the Obray family.
During the summer in the late 1950's-early 60's their skiffs and canoes used to be anchored down the middle of the Canal (as it was known), at night, and brought alongside the shore during the day. In the winter they had a compound on one side where the boats were stored undercover.

Once a year their was a regatta style event their which most of Sheerness attended. Their was a "greasy pole" competition on a greased up pole out over the water and fathers, etc were invited to try and stay on it for as long as possible. There was also "Sweeps and Flour-men" fights out in the skiffs where the two sides pelted each other with soot and flour.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Sheerness Boating Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 18:17:24 »
Who remembers the boating lake on the right about half a mile out [still there but no boats I think] used to go down there in a crowd the boats used to be kayaks 1 and 2 seaters used to get soaked using the double ended oar, early 60s

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines