News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Boating Lake  (Read 13772 times)

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 3
Re: Sheerness Boating Lake
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 22:05:19 »
Thanks tor clarifying colin haggart. I was there 9 days ago.

My photo in Guess the Place "Reply #223" is overlooking the boating lake that you refer to from the defensive earthwork along the northern bank.
The boating lake that you refer to re-used part of the Military Canal, the section just to the east of the bridge on the Halfway Road.
The concrete landing stage along the eastern edge of the bridge is still there: lots of swans and ducks to feed!
Other landing stages along the northerly bank are eroded or rotted, some coincident evidence to be seen on the right in my Guess the Place photo.

I read a while ago that the scrap yard on the Monkey Farm site along the southern bank of the boating lake has planning permission for housing development.
Maybe the boating lake section of the canal would be tidied or restored as part of such development?

The boating lake that I referred to was dug into the southern bank of the canal at Barton Point Coastal Park (late 1960s or early 1970s), 850 yards to the east of your lake.

My lake and your lake are one body of water, joined by the canal, but your lake does appear to be the original that this thread was raised in relation to.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 20:23:14 »
Local Hiker, the Boating Lake on your map is in the wrong place.   The Boating Lake was on the canal next to Monkey Farm. The one on your map could be where there is one now, not where the old one was.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 00:16:26 »
Here are some postcards from the boating lake at Sheerness.
Hope x

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 14:28:37 »
I think that these are the 2 boating areas that are competing for this topic.

I think that the topic was meant to refer to the right hand one, dug beside the Sheerness Military Canal at Barton Point.

My only interest is that I bought myself an inflatable kayak earlier in the summer, and used the Barton Point lake to get familiar with it.

John38

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 19:52:41 »
The circular pond near the Fair was the Paddling Pool. The Canal was ....the Canal! At least they were called that in the 1940s & 50s when I was growing up there. There were boats for hire on the canal, run by the Obrays'.

Brian Obray was a shipwright apprentice who started on the same day as me in HM Dockyard Sheerness. At the end of the apprenticeship we both got called up for RAF National Service, but we both signed on.

The last time I saw Brian was in Singapore, when we had mounted a special Aero-medical flight to bring a dangerously ill woman back to the UK - it turned out to be Brian's wife. Would love to know how she got on!

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 16:10:16 »
At the other end of the canal at Bartons point when Alan had control you used to be able to hire the peddle boats, peddlos I think they called them, as well as kayaks, canoes and windsurfers. I think he kind of started up when the boat hire finished at Halfway road end.

Minsterboy

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 15:58:00 »
Happy days, whatever we all called it and as a young kid, I loved the place.

RETSUB12

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 13:22:44 »
In my 70 years + I have known it as the boating lake and the canal----Never the boating pond.   I SPENT MANY OF MY YOUNG YEARS WORKING THERE I should know---G.F.WHITE 

Minsterboy

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 17:56:28 »
Well to make it even odder, in my 65 years here, I've always known the eastern half as "The Canal" and the western half as the "Old Canal".

Offline isleansuz

• Appreciation 8
  • IsleAnsuz
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 16:52:45 »
How intriguing, despite being a born & bred swampie, living on the island til the last day of my 6th form exams it'd always been known as The Canal to me and anyone i knew. Very odd.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 16:08:21 »
I've put this photo, taken in 2007 on here on behalf of Minsterboy.

The boating lake is roughly in the centre of the photo.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 14:31:39 »
Hiya Johnny walker, thanks for your post, sadly it's not the boating that is beeing talked about, it the one on the right just as you come into Sheerness from Halfway.

I scanned this from the tenth revision of the Local Red Book, which has  street maps of amongst other places Sheerness.

Online JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 19:14:30 »
Here is a good picture of Sheerness Boating Lake - not sure if it's the one being discussed but it does appear to have paddle boats.

Link to photo only as author has requested copyright.

http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/32216213

merc

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 18:09:06 »
Please use the persons 'full forum name' if a post is aimed at someone, not their real name.

RETSUB12

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 17:25:44 »
Hi my name is Graham White I was a friend of the Obray family from the early 1950s i would help paint the boats in the winter and help with the customers in the summer fill the paper bags with soot and flour for the miller and sweep fights from two small boats at the regattas, also tow the customers back from the far end of the canal when the wind was to strong for them to return. we did not  enter the regatta races as it was believed we would have a good advantage.I have lived in Folkestone for more then 40 years if you remember me please Email all the best GRAHAM
Hi Graham my name is Steve O'Bray my father is Dave O'Bray and he built many of the boats you talked about. My grandfather Bob O'Bray started the boating lake when he left the Royal air Force. If you have any photos from the boating lake I would love to see them as we don't have any. I was a small child when the boating lake was in full swing and remember little from them days. But my dad would love to see them. He is in his 70's now.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines