News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Internal Main Sewerage. Brook Pumping Station. Joint Scheme with Rochester.  (Read 17413 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
As part of this scheme the Dockyard Sewage Pumping Station was constructed.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
This is the last document in this folder.

17th September, 1927

Sir,

I am directed by the Minister of Health to refer to your letter of the 6th instant, with reference to the scheme of sewerage for the Borough of Chatham, and I am to state that the representations made in your letter have received attention, but that the question whether a grant should be made in respect of the sum of £24,000, to which your letter relates, is a matter in which the decision rests with the Unemployment Grants Committee, and the Minister does not consider that he could properly take action which would, in effect, interfere with the Committee’s decision.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant,
T. Lindsay

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
5th September, 1927

Sir,

Scheme No.B,2162. Sewerage

I ought to have made mention in my earlier letter of the fact that the 1923 Estimate was one which was made, not by the Corporation’s Engineers, but by Mr. Binney, and Engineer who was called in by the Rochester and Chatham Joint Sewerage Board to advise that Board on the Scheme which had been prepared by Messrs. Radford for the Joint Works of Sewerage, and not on the Internal works to be undertaken by the Corporations of Rochester and Chatham respectively.

The Corporation’s own Engineers (Messrs. Radford) did not, in that year, prepare their own detailed estimates.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant,
Edward B. Lee

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Sir,

Scheme No.B.2162 – Sewerage

I brought your letter of the 26th ultimo before my Main Drainage Committee at its meeting held last Friday and was directed to again express the Committee’s regret that your Committee cannot see its way to allow the actual cost of the Scheme to rank for Grant.

Mt Committee somehow feel that your Committee’s present attitude is due solely to the failure of my Council to disclose to your Committee the 1923 estimate, and in the circumstances, they feel they should not be so penalised.

I have turned up the papers, and find that the date for the official form U.G.C. 14 (Revised) was supplied by the Engineers (Messrs. Redford and Son) and that under the heading “Estimated Total Cost of Works” the Engineers, who had prepared all the estimates, had inserted the figure of £111,923.

My committee desire to make it quite clear that there had not been any attempt at concealment.  My Committee are satisfied that my letter of the 28th May, 1925, frankly disclosed the fact that the 1919 Estimate would be exceeded and that it would not have been difficult fot your Committee to roughly form some idea of the excess which would be attributable to the considerable increase in the cost of Labour.  Furthermore, in that same letter your Committee were asked if they desired the Estimate revised, and your Committee replied (4th June, 1924) that they did not “require any further particulars at the present time”.  My Committee, whilst not forgetful of other concessions which have kindly been made by you view the present matter with such seriousness, particularly having regard to the state of unemployment in the district, the further discharges which are taking place in H.M.Dockyard upon which Establishment the district mainly depends, and the present rate burden due to main drainage, that they instruct me to bring the matter to your notice of the Local Member, so that he might interview your Committee on my Council’s behalf.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant.
Edward B. Lee
Town Clerk

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Sir,

Scheme No.B 2162. – Sewerage

I am directed by the Unemployment Grants Committee to state that they have considered the terms of your letter of the 25th August in regard to the above Scheme, but that they regret to be unable to vary the terms of their letter of the 5th August conveying a decision to your Council which, in the Committee’s view, represents a very generous treatment of the case.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant,

Assistant Secretary

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
25th August, 1924

Sir,

Scheme No.B 2162 – Sewerage

I have now had an opportunity, having just returned from holiday, of considering your letter of the 5th instant.

I must state quite frankly that I did not for a moment consider that there was any further information which should be furnished your department beyond that given from time to tie mint he correspondence I have had with your department, particularly in view of the very general terms of your department’s letter of the 4th June 1924, written in reply to my letter of the 29th May 1924, wherein I made it clear that the cost was likely to be in excess of the figure (the 1919 Estimate) which kept appearing at the head of your letters.

Furthermore, I had understood that the Ministry of Health had kept your department informed from time to time of the details of the scheme, both technical and as to costs as they have from time to time, as Contracts have been about to be entered into, been furnished with detailed estimates.

The Council would have been ready, and are now ready at any time to give any further particulars desired by your department.  My Council regret that the Committee are unable to recognise for Grant the £24,000 (approx.) mentioned in the last paragraph of your letter.  They view my Council take is that this sum is being expended in respect of work which now becomes just as necessary as the original work, and they think it reasonable that it should rank for grant just as the original work.

Cannot this sum be allowed to rank for Grant.  The district is being very heavily burdened with the cost of this sewerage scheme, costing as it is, many times the original estimate, and the commencement of the scheme having been delayed due to the Great War.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant.
E. B. Lee
Town Clerk

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Sir,

Scheme No.B. 2162. – Sewerage

I am directed by the Unemployment Grants Committee to state that the above Scheme, and the extent of assistance offered therefore, has been receiving their careful review in consequence of the receipt of your letter of the 16th May, with enclosure.

It will be remembered that the Committee’s grant as authorised in their letter of the 22nd May, 1924, was based on the estimate submitted to them of £129,333, and whilst the Committee are aware of the terms of their letter of the 4th June, 1924, addressed to you in reply of your letter of the 29th May, 1924, they had then no reason to suppose that a later estimate (prepared in 1923) existed, which bore so little relation to the estimate prepared in 1919 and submitted with the application that the one exceeded the other by approximately £63,000.

The Committee view with regret the fact that your Council did not see their way to disclose to them, particularly in your letter of the 29th May, 1924, the amount of the estimate prepared in 1923 and are further concerned not to ascertain from the Ministry of Health that the revised total cost of this scheme is likely to reach so high a figure as £243,379.

Inasmuch as this figure is approximately £114,000 in excess of the figure on which the original grant was based, and on the assumption that your Council desired the grant to be calculated on the higher figure, the Committee find some difficulty in apprehending the circumstances where your Council apparently considered it unnecessary to acquaint them at the earliest possible date with the details of the increased cost, and to apply formally for increased grant.

The Committee are accordingly reluctant to make any concession to your Council in the matter.  Having regard, however, to the encouragement given to your Authority, to the Borough of Rochester and to the Joint Sewerage board to proceed with this comprehensive scheme of sewerage for the relief of  unemployment, and also to the terms of their letter of the 4th June, 1924, which your Council will now be aware was addressed to you without a true appreciation of the circumstances to which your letter of the 29th May 1924 referred, the Committee have decided to apply the Grant authorised to a limit of approved expenditure of £219,400 met out of loan and incurred within the grant earning period allowed in my letter of the 16th March last.

It will be observed from this that the Committee have also decided that they are unable to recognise for grant purposes a sum approximating to £24,000 the cost of works not included in the original proposals and undertaken additionally to meet later requirements.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant,
Assistant Secretary

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Sir,

Chatham Internal Sewerage

(a)   Pumping Station Plant.
(b)   Contract No.5 Pumping Station and Storm water Overflow.

I have ascertained from the Engineers, in reply to your letter of the 21st inst., that the only outstanding work not covered by the present application is the construction of the small pumping station and provision of pumping machinery for the dockyard and the short pumping main from that Station to the 12 inch main in Dock Road.
The Engineers’ estimate for this work is submitted at the recent Inquiry was made up as follows:-

Small deep pumping sump (Site provided by Admiralty) Max. amount 432,000 gallons per day£3,400
No.2 – 4” centrifugal pumps and motors automatically started250
72 yards 6” pumping main etc.150
£3,800

It may be stated that in correspondence with the admiralty it has been stated by them, in reply to enquiries made by the Council, that no date can be given at present as to when the Dockyard sewers will be brought to the point suggested for the pumping station, and that there is no intention to arrange for the disposal of the sewerage in any other manner than into the Dock Road Sewer of the Council.  The Admiralty have further stated that no provision as regards the dockyard sewer connection will be required within the next two years.

It will be observed that there is no definite agreement reached as to when the Dockyard will be connected up.  In view however of the fact that the Dock Road Sewer is required for other Government building as well, my Council decided to proceed with the sewer leaving over for the time being the works particularly referred to above.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient servant,
Edward B. Lee
Town clerk

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
I am posting the last page of this document as I hate typing up pages with lots of scripting!  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Storm Water – Existing Sewers

1.   North High Level.
2.   Middle Sewer.
3.   South high Level.

(1)   The North High Level Sewers is adequate for the area served.
(2)   The Middle Sewer floods during high tides in rainstorms, particularly at Fair row.  This area will be disconnected and connected to the new Brook Surface water System.  Many of existing foul sewer connections will be disconnected.
(3)   The South High Level Sewer is too small under abnormal conditions, and requires considerable relief to prevent continual flooding.

Area drained = 48, 925, 000 sq. ft. (all south of sewer)
Densely populated 17, 712, 200 sq. ft.
Sparcely populated 31, 212, 800 sq. ft.

RainfallGalls. Per day
Allow ½” on 25% of densely populated area per hour.27, 675, 000
Allow ½” on 5% of sparecely populated area per hour. 9, 756, 000
Gallons per day = 37, 431, 000

Sewer Capacity
3’ 9 “ x 2’ 6” egg shaped culvert.  At High tide at 15.00 and flooding level at 21.00 (Union Place).
Hyd. Grad. = 1 in 440
Discharge = 18, 630, 000 gallons per day
Inv. Grad. = 1 in 660
Discharge = 16, 000, 000 gallons per day
Assume sewer fully capable of taking 16, 000, 000 galls. per day, therefore excess, 37, 431, 000 – 16, 000, 000
= 21, 431, 000 galls. per day
This accounts for floodings.

Storm Water – New Sewers
Area coloured green on plan M.30 is all below 30.00 O.D. and the sewers of which cannot be relieved by storm overflows at 23.00.
Area = 68 acres (including Brook Surface Water area)
Allow ½“ rainfall per hour on 75% of area.
Rainfall = 13, 861, 000 galls. per day.
Less Brook   3, 669, 288
                  10, 191, 712 galls. per day
It is estimated there is a population of 7,000 in this area, therefore 6 D.W.F of this area = 1, 050, 000 will be pumped to the Sewage Disposal Works and the remainder, 9, 141, 712 galls. per day, will be pumped to the Medway.
The full amount to be taken under abnormal conditions i.e. tide at 15.00 and rainstorm at the same time, will be:-

Galls. per day.
The Brook Surface Area3, 669. 288
Storm Water from Low Level Area under 30.009, 141, 712
Excess storm water from sewers above 30.00 O.D.
Population = 36, 000, and allow 12 D.W.F’s in sewers (only back roofs and yards connected) 6 D.W.F’s is pumped to Disposal Works, then 6 D.W.F full amount of excess storm water.5, 400, 000
Excess storm water relived from South High Level Sewer.21, 431, 000
Future Storm Water from further land in south when developed. Say5, 000, 000
Total44, 642, 000

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
BOROUGH OF CHATHAM.
MAIN PUMPING STATION.

Nature of Pumping.

There will be two symptoms of pumping requiring at the Low Level Pumping Station.
(1)   All the normal sewage collected in the Chatham Low Level area, (being that area below the level of the Rochester and Chatham Joint Board’s Main Outfall Sewer), including the Storm Water from back roofs and yards up to six times the normal dry weather flow from that area, will be pumped into the Joint Board’s Sewer to be taken to the Sewage Disposal Works at Motley Hill.
(2)   All the Storm Water of Chatham, except from an area of about 68 acres in the lowest portions of the town, can get into the River Medway, at all states of the tide, without pumping; but in this lowest area, which is below 30.00 O.D. after the sewage and Storm Water, up to six times the D.W.F. has been pumped to Motley Hill, the whole of the surplus storm water collected in the foul sewers during high tide in the River Medway, or part of the storm water during low tide in the River Medway, will be pumped as excess Storm Water direct to the River Medway in Chatham.
The actual amounts of pumping depend entirely on the amount of rainfall and the time of the rainfall in conjunction with high tides in the River.
The normal sewage dry weather flow of the Low Level Area is estimated at 30,500 gallons an hour over 24 hours.  The maximum quantity to be pumped as sewage to the Joint Board’s Main, equivalen to six times the dry weather flow is 146530 gallons an hour, made up as follows:-

Population.High Level27035
Low Level18965
Total46000
PopulationDockyardAdmiralty HousesMilitary Barracks
D.W.F. =(18965 x 25)(216000)(600 x 25)(1000 x 25)
Gallons.
=730125Daily/
=30422Hourly.

Storm Water (to pump to Motley).

18965 Inhabitants Dockyard.
600 Admiralty
216,000[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1000 Military Barracks/td]
+x
205 x 25 x 6 times. 2 times

=   3084,750   +   432,000
=   3516,750   daily storm flow.
=   146,531   hourly storm flow.

The maximum quantity to be pumped as excess Storm Water from the lowest area of the town into the River Medway in Chatham is 509,083 gallons an hour, made up as follows:-

Rainfall on area below 30.00 O.D.
Area:   68 acres;   ½” rainfall on 75% an area = 583,458 gallons an hour.
Population of 68 acres = 11,900
D.W.F. @ 25 gallons = 297,500 gallons a day.
6 D.W.F.’s. = 1,785, 000 gallons a day.
583,458 – 74,375 = 509,083 gallons an hour.

PUMPS.

D.W.F. Pumps.
For the Dry Weather Flow Pumping, No.1/50,000 gallons an hour pump is provided for the normal pumping and No.1/50,000 gallons pump as stand-by.
Storm Water to Motley Hill Disposal Works.  No.1/100,000 gallons as hour pump is provided.  The two pumps working together will therefore clear the equivalent to six times the dry weather flow.
Excess Storm Pumps.
For the Excess Storm Pumping to the River Medway.  No.1/100,000 gallons an hour pump is provided for light storms and No.2/250,000 gallons an hour pumps for the heavy storms.
The D.W.F. pumps pumping to Motley Hill will be driven by motors attached to each pump using electricity bought from the Kent Electric Power Co.
The D.W.F. pumps will operate up to 6 D.W.F’s, and above that amount the 100,000 gallons an hour excess storm water pump will be started automatically when the water in the pumping tank reaches about 5.00 O.D. and will be driven by motor similarly to the dry weather flow pumps.  When this pump commences to work a warning will be given for the larger belt-driven pumps to be in readiness for starting.  The two 250,000 gallon excess water pumps will be belt driven direct from No.2 56 Horse power Oil Engines.
Arrangements are made in the piping whereby the 100,000 gallons an hour excess storm pump may act as stand-by for the Dry Weather Flow larger pump, and in the event of the electric current supply failing arrangements are made for one of the 250,000 gallon pumps, to pump up to 1 D.W.F’s to Motley Hill Disposal Works.
A Venturi Meter will be fixed on the Dry Weather flow Pumping Main just outside the Pumping Station.
The 30” surface Water Sewer from The Brook Area will run direct into the Storm Water Outfall Culvert up to a level of about 7.00 O.D.; when this level is reached a Float Indicator will then give the necessary warning for the valve at the end of this pipe to be closed.  The Surface Water will then back up the 30” pipe and overflow the Weir at 8.25 O.D. and is pumped on into the Storm Water Outfall Culvert above the tide level in that culvert.
The cleaning of the tank is arranged for by provision of a gangway through the tank above the water level, a water service is laid on with 3” hydrants for flushing and cleaning the walls and floor by directing a jet from a hose pipe and 6/8” nozzle.

The following are details of machinery:-

CHATHAM LOW LEVEL PUMPING STATION.
DRY WEATHER FLOW PUMPING.

No.2/50,000 g.p.n:-PumpMotor
6” Horizontal centrifugal slow speed unchokeasble unscreened sewage pump.30 B.H.P. slip ring A.C. motor 960 r.p.m. attached to each pump.
No.1/100,000 g.p.h:-
8” do.  Do.  Sewage pump.60 B.H.P. do.  Do.  Motor 710 r.p.m. attached.

Note:   To lift sewage from -8.00 to 49.00 O.D. through 18” C.I. Main 1270 feet long maximum discharge 150,000 gallons per hour.

Excess Storm Pumping

No.1/100,000 g.p.h:-
8” Horizontal centrifugal slow speed unchokable unscreened sewage pump, automatically started when sewage in tank reaches about 5.00.60 B.H.P. slip ring A.C. motor 710 r.p.m. attached.

Note:  This pump arranged to act as stand – by to 100,000 gallons d.w.f. pump.

No.2/250,000 g.p.h.
[[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][td]14” Horizontal centrifugal belt driven unscreened sewage pumps.[/td][td]No.2 Horizontal cols starting single cyclinger Campbell Oil Engines each 56 B.H.P. Working load at 230 r.p.m developing 62 B.H.P. maximum load for one hour.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note:  The above pumps to lift storm water against a maximum head of 21 feet into S.W. Outfall Culvert.
The deliveries are arranged so that one of the 250,000 gallon pump can pump up to 3 d.w.f. through d.w.f. Pumping Main.

Screen.

Duplicate screens of 2” spaces are placed at the entrance to the Tank and hand operated rake and tray provided to lift any large matter obstructed to screening platform.

CHATHAM INTERNAL SEWERAGE
STORM WATER SEWERS &C.

Surface Water – Brook Area

Takes place of existing storm water sewer which gives trouble by flooding.
New 18” surface water system in the Brook deals with about 18 acres.
Allow ½” rainfall per hour on 75% of area
Rainfall = 3,669,288 gallons per day.

Sewer Capacity.
Lowest ground is at 12.00 O.D. in Fair row.
Under worst conditions allows water in gulley at 11.50 and water at weir in pumping station at 9.00.
Hyd. Grad. = 1 in 288
Discharge 18” pipe = 3,600,000 gallons per day
Discharge 2/18” pipes = 7,200,000 at least.

N.B.
The Pumping Station weir level is at 8.25 O.D.
When the tide is high the Brook Surface Water backs up and passes over this weir and is pumped into the Storm Outfall Culvert.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
CHATHAM SEWERAGE.
PARTICULARS OF THE WALERSLADE DISTRICT.

No. Of houses at present in whole district – 181
Population @ 4.5 per house – about 814
Water supplied to abut 75% of houses
Present sanitary arrangement:-

No. of houses with WCs. And Cesspools – 124
No. of houses with Earth Closets and cesspools – 52
No. of houses with Earth Closets and no Cesspools – 5

No. of houses present scheme of sewers provided for – 93
Present population present scheme of sewers provided for @ 4.5 per house – 420

Slackest gradient of 9” outfall sewer in 150, provides for 3950 population at 20 gallons per head per day, and will deliver 10 times D.W.F.
9” Outfall sewer and other proposed sewers are on the lines of proposed future new roads included in the Town Planning Scheme for Chatham.
Total cost of Walderslade section of present Contract 4. – £10,563: 17: 0.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Chatham Internal Sewers
Reasons for Further Extra Sums-

Sewer No.PositionRemarks
132 and 291Ewart RoadNew Property in course of erection.
135Horsted Avenue and Pattens LaneExtended in length to give better facility for connections and to develop Pattens Lane.
148Albany Terracedo.
159Bournville AvenueDeeper to develop Football Ground now being built upon.
292Albany RoadNew property
36Dagmar Roaddo.
Post Barn Housing SiteHouse drains connected up and joined to Sewers.

The above with the remainder of the sewers in this Contract were submitted to and approved by the Council March 10th, 1927.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Dear Sir,

Chatham sewerage.

In reply to your letter of the 18th. inset., the cost of the subsidiary pumping station for the Dockyard is not over and above the original estimates cost of the Low Level sewer.  We are substituting the shallow sewer and pumping station in place of the deep sewer.  There is obviously an error in our estimate for this sewer in tunnel, in very bad ground, below the normal tide level, so near to the River, would cost more than the shallow sewer, pumping station and rising main proposed.
The ground level at the site of the pumping well is almost 18.00 O.D., the Dockyard sewer outfall 2.30 O.D., and the bottom of the pumping well -3.00.  The ground level of the road leading down to and adjacent to the site is 33.00 O.D., these levels are only approximate as the Scheme has not yet been worked out in detail.

Yours faithfully,

W.M. Cross Esq., M.I.C.E., W.H. Radfordley

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
CHATHAM INTERNAL SEWERS
REASONS FOR EXTRA WORKS

Sewer No.PositionRemarks
109Maidstone RoadDevelopment of Area.  Houses built and being built.  Extension of sewer now necessary to boundary.
166Randall RoadNew property built.
128Dale StreetNew property built.
124South of Gladstone roadConsidered necessary after re-investigation.
78Palmerston RoadExtension for council’s Housing Scheme
84Buller Roaddo.
82Redvere Roaddo.
83White Roaddo.
26Upper Luton RoadNecessary to drain the property on the north east side of Upper Luton Road.
50 & 51East of King’s RoadCollecting sewer at rear of properties to obviate excessively deep connections to a deep sewer in road
160East of the Crescent & Letchworth AvenueNew Estate development.  Houses being built.
159Bourneville Avenuedo.
119Horsted Avenue & Elm Avenuedo.
173East of Ambrose HillNew houses built.
215ASouth of Hards TownFound necessary at rear of property on re-investigation.
232ASouth of Queens StreetSlum property ignored in original scheme, now included.
234AWest of Queens Streetdo.
284The Brook PavementExtra sewer provided to avoid numerous tramway crossings.
241ASouth of Whittaker St.Backyard sewer found necessary on re-investigation.
103West of Jenkins PlaceNecessary to drain back property
164West of Maidstone RoadSewer in backyards for new property.
137Corkwell StreetNew property.
293Roads near Waterworks south of Chatham Hilldo.
148Near Drill Halldo.
258 & 258ARailway StreetAltered routes to avoid interfering with congested main streets, train traffic &c. and extension for railway station on special request of Council.
264A & 264BGundulph RoadFound necessary on re-investigation.
265George streetMade necessary owing to the new scheme for dockyard sewer outfall and the raising of invert of pumping station Storage Tank.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines