News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: NAAFI Club/Aurora Hotel/King Charles Hotel, Brompton Road, Gillingham [i]  (Read 13699 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
The King Charles was the Aurora until about the early 80s (or perhaps very late 70s) For a while it was also sometimes referred to as Excaliburs, but that was only really the night-club part.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
I'm pretty sure the King Charles Hotel used to be called the "Aurora"

Me too, Smiffy.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
I'm pretty sure the King Charles Hotel used to be called the "Aurora"

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
The NAAFI building in Richmond Road was a storage and distribution depot.

The other building opened as a NAAFI Club; I’m not sure exactly when, but it was open during 1950-1952 when I was in the RAF – I went there a couple of times when I was on leave (only to be nosey because, living at Rochester, I had a perfectly good home and drinking den in my dad's pub!). It had the same facilities as the NAAFI on every service unit of any size, plus overnight accommodation. I don’t know how much demand there would have been from service people stationed in the area – perhaps as a wider meeting place than their ‘unit’ NAAFI. I don’t know about army and navy establishments, but most RAF stations had a ‘Transit Billet’ for overnight accommodation for people passing through, so would there have been much demand for the rooms?

Whatever the case, it didn’t last long as a NAAFI Club, but I’m certain it was not named “King Charles Hotel” until it became a private hotel.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
Excuse my ignorance, colin haggart, as I don`t know Gillingham very well, but I remember the large NAAFI Club opposite the sports ground between Gillingham and Brompton and wonder why there was another building in Richmond Road.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines