News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NAAFI Club/Aurora Hotel/King Charles Hotel, Brompton Road, Gillingham [i]  (Read 11015 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
The King Charles was the Aurora until about the early 80s (or perhaps very late 70s) For a while it was also sometimes referred to as Excaliburs, but that was only really the night-club part.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
I'm pretty sure the King Charles Hotel used to be called the "Aurora"

Me too, Smiffy.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
I'm pretty sure the King Charles Hotel used to be called the "Aurora"

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
The NAAFI building in Richmond Road was a storage and distribution depot.

The other building opened as a NAAFI Club; I’m not sure exactly when, but it was open during 1950-1952 when I was in the RAF – I went there a couple of times when I was on leave (only to be nosey because, living at Rochester, I had a perfectly good home and drinking den in my dad's pub!). It had the same facilities as the NAAFI on every service unit of any size, plus overnight accommodation. I don’t know how much demand there would have been from service people stationed in the area – perhaps as a wider meeting place than their ‘unit’ NAAFI. I don’t know about army and navy establishments, but most RAF stations had a ‘Transit Billet’ for overnight accommodation for people passing through, so would there have been much demand for the rooms?

Whatever the case, it didn’t last long as a NAAFI Club, but I’m certain it was not named “King Charles Hotel” until it became a private hotel.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Excuse my ignorance, colin haggart, as I don`t know Gillingham very well, but I remember the large NAAFI Club opposite the sports ground between Gillingham and Brompton and wonder why there was another building in Richmond Road.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines