News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tramway near the Lines - Gillingham  (Read 15559 times)

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
Re: Tramway near the Lines - Gillingham
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 13:44:15 »
This plan (originally posted by Kyn) shows Siege Operations in 1877, and shows the tramway (By the red dot). I'm not sure if the tramway terminated near the Church Path, or went further...
It shows the line going to the R.E. Park and a branch to the North that crosses the ditch again, and probably connected to the line on swiftone's map.

This is an extract from an 1885 map continuing to the left of my previously posted map. Comparing it to Merc's post it would appear this branch going through the Dockyard was added after 1877 and possibly the rest of the line to the 3rd parallel was only there during siege operations.

merc

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 13:37:14 »
This plan (originally posted by Kyn) shows Siege Operations in 1877, and shows the tramway (By the red dot). I'm not sure if the tramway terminated near the Church Path, or went further...

It shows the line going to the R.E. Park and a branch to the North that crosses the ditch again, and probably connected to the line on swiftone's map.

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:36:11 »
Further to my previous post and thinking about it, I think the sheds that this line was connected to were in the Royal Engineer Park.

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:10:30 »

This is the other end. Prince Arthur Rd is a public highway so I would think that war games could not stop to let the public through. Also, as a matter of interest, the end shown by smiffy did not follow the route of the Khyber Road but appears to be further east. I think I have seen a map somewhere that showed sheds in or near Brompton (Chatham) Barracks

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 22:45:53 »
I'd be interested to see an older map to see just how far the track originally ran. Looking at google earth aerial and street level images, there may be a slight trace of it remaining on the south side of Prince Arthur Road.
Derek
Derek Brice

merc

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 21:28:45 »
That was part of a military 'trench tramway' used during Siege Operations and fieldworks on the Lower Lines. It would have carried men and ordnance etc.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Tramway near the Lines - Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 19:04:51 »
I'm not sure if this should be here or one of the military sections, but having a look on an old 1860's OS map I found this tramway.

It starts from what seems to be an embankment accessed from Mill Road and passes over Medway Road on a viaduct. It then heads away following the course of what was later Khyber Road. I'm wondering if it was military, what it was used for, and what was the reason for the viaduct. It seems that it would have been easier to just cross the road at ground level. Sorry if this has been covered before, I've had a quick look but can't find any previous reference.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines