News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: W.H. Smith Rochester  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Re: W.H. Smith Rochester
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 20:50:09 »
Thanks Smiffy. I worked for W.H. Smith & Son at this shop 1964/65 aged fifteen , running the front of shop.
Peter.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 10
Re: W.H. Smith Rochester
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 22:26:56 »
Remember the shop very clearly, but no pictures. The manager was a Mr.Parker in the late 1950's. His wife also worked in the shop. I lived a couple of doors away with my parents over Leonards shop. My parents were quite friendly with the Parkers and we were occasional visitors to their flat over the shop.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
W.H. Smith Rochester
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 22:17:11 »
Does anyone remember or have a photo of the shop which was directly opposite La Providence in the High Street? It later became a greengrocers and is now a takeaway I believe. The manager lived in the flat above the shop. It went back quite away with a bookstall at the front, pens/hardcover books etc in the middle and greetings cards at the back. Behind this was a small kitchen/staff room. Next door (towards the Cathedral) was a jewellers and set back a bakers and a Prudential Insurance office then Tiber's insurance.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines