News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: sheerness carnival  (Read 6228 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: sheerness carnival
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 19:46:49 »
As the photos I originally uploaded seem to have disappeared into cyber space here they are again

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Desbrow

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 21:59:37 »
With the recent news that the Sheerness Carnival may be in jeopardy, here's a reminder of when the parade was a more popular event. 

I recently came across the under-noted YouTube link of about six minutes colour footage from the mid-1970s filmed, I think, from along the Broadway / Marine Parade as the procession passed by the RC church. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDCHUWTurM

Floats seen include contributions from Chatham dockyard, Spar, Warners holiday camp, Sunblest bakers and Monkey Farm.

Regrettably, there are no details on YouTube on how the user came by the footage or if he has any more to share.

librarian

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 16:29:55 »
I thought it would be nice to get a collection of pics from the carnivals over the years.
I remember when I was young-too long ago!-the carnival setting up near my house in New Road Sheerness and the fun/fear and excitement the Zulus and the many colourful floats gave me.
The photos below are from 1976.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 23:32:38 »
One thing I do remember about the carnival was the free public firework display held by the boating lake/paddling pool,lots of oohs and aaahs as the rockets went up and a grand set piece normally an illuminated crown at the end.

As far as I know, Connan, they still do.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 23:19:59 »
Thanks for that Colin.I found another one presumably from around the same spot,I wonder whether this was a pubs entry and if so which one.I love the ghostly face in the upstairs right hand window.

One thing I do remember about the carnival was the free public firework display held by the boating lake/paddling pool,lots of oohs and aaahs as the rockets went up and a grand set piece normally an illuminated crown at the end.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 14:49:21 »
Connan, the pub is The Napier, it maybe the same name in your post, not sure though.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 00:47:41 »
Sorry folks,just found another one,obviously taken from same spot,same year.A brewers dray maybe?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
sheerness carnival
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 00:40:51 »
I have just had a load of new pictures arrive from my dad.A quick scan through throws up this one.Who was the Queen?what was the year?is she still living in Sitingbourne?what is is the Sheps pub?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines