News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Steam Fire Engines  (Read 4998 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
Re: Chatham Dockyard Steam Fire Engines
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:13:51 »
Thank you for your very informative post Romar  :) Welcome to the Forum.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 19:30:47 »
I read some where, I think there is a pic somewhere on the KHF, that a lot of horse draw pumps had the shafts modified to allow them to be drawn by petrol vehicles. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Romar

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 18:59:45 »
Actually that is an engine built in 1863 by Merryweather & Sons, fire engine builders of London, and named 'Sutherland'. It won the first prize for large steam engines at the international competition held at Crystal Palace in 1863. It was purchased by the Admiralty for use at Devonport Dockyard, presumably the location of your superb picture, where it remained in service until 1905. It was used again in 1918 but passed to the Science Museum in 1924 where it remains. Unfortunately it's not on display but in store at the museum's Wroughton, Wiltshire, facility.

Chatham Dockyard had two horse-drawn Merryweather steam fire engines by 1887 but I don't know how long they lasted. It is quite possible that they or their replacements were in service in 1913. Petrol motor fire engines were becoming more common by then but horsed steamers were still very popular.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:35:04 »
I found this amongst my collection although it's not Chatham Dockyard. I believe this photograph to be of an American Dockyard as the construction of the pump looks as if it could be an Ahrens-Fox appliance.

Sorry, I still have a problem with resizing even after the test posting was fine. I'll try one more time.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Chatham Dockyard Steam Fire Engines
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:54:50 »
I was reading an account of a fire in Brompton which mentions "The steam fire engines from H.M. Dockyard were brought out and supplied by water from a hose over the Dockyard Wall."  I was wondering at what dates the Dockyard had steam fire engines, and if there are any surviving pictures of them.

The reference comes from a booklet published in 1923, but I believe the fire referred to was about 10 years before that. Would a date of 1913 fit with steam fire engines being in use at the dockyard? The other possible date for the fire might be the 1890s (though I think this is less likely), but I'm not sure if the dockyard was using steam fire engines at this date. Any ideas?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines