News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Elmley Ferry, Murston  (Read 12312 times)

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
Re: Elmley Ferry, Murston
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 21:07:24 »
One of the WW2 wooden minesweepers at Elmley taken in 2012.
Regards
Ted.

Minsterboy

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 05:32:27 »
Can't help you there Mick, its something I've not been able to master myself.

mickbennett

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 20:39:28 »
If you look carefully at a google earth you can see two sets of vertical poles on the causeways at either side of the main channel.
http://goo.gl/maps/O1lA

These are visible from the Saxon Shore way on the south side of the Swale
(Image removed from quote.)
if I remember right, MR BROWN was the last ferryman!

mickbennett

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 20:35:36 »
Well done Mick, I'd be interested to see what other photos that you have of Elmley.
,,,,is there any easy way of posting them?  I can post them easily elsewhere but not on this site?????

Minsterboy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 05:39:36 »
Well done Mick, I'd be interested to see what other photos that you have of Elmley.

mickbennett

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 00:51:05 »
Thanks Lutonman, that's interesting. There's still signage on the Sheppey side warning of gas pipes and I assumed that it was still being used.
The pipes remain but no longer in use, I would guess that they are full of water by now.
....I am trying to post pictures of the old Elmley, with difficulty...lol. I managed a couple though, I have a few more.

mickbennett

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 00:40:27 »
Thanks Lutonman, that's interesting. There's still signage on the Sheppey side warning of gas pipes and I assumed that it was still being used.
The pipes remain but no longer in use, I would guess that they are full of water by now.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 14:59:00 »

Minsterboy

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 06:11:21 »

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 21:48:45 »
The ferry site was always, and might still be, the place where the gas suppy to Sheppey came across the Swale.

The gas supply using Elmley has been disconnected for many years now, leaving the main supply at Kingsferry.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 17:07:45 »
When we were kids back in the early 1950's just after it stopped working ,there was the derelect house t o the right of the track by the ferry landing on the Murston side that we played in . There was a bloke I think his name was Brown? lived in an old caravan and collection of sheds there. He  had accumulated a great mass of rusting hulks of old cars all the way down the sides of the track shown in darrenh's Photo. I think he was there for quite a few years ,I expect the council eventually cleared the site.
Probably saw you there in the very early 50s, grandarog! I remember the derelict house but not the rusting cars. I seem to remember clambering around in some rotting barges or am I confusing Elmley with Harty? It`s a long time ago, but I remember being taken there by Alan Cordell, the author of several books on barges - we were at school together. I can`t even remember how to get there now!

Minsterboy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 15:55:42 »
The ferry site was always, and might still be, the place where the gas suppy to Sheppey came across the Swale.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:19 »
When we were kids back in the early 1950's just after it stopped working ,there was the derelect house t o the right of the track by the ferry landing on the Murston side that we played in . There was a bloke I think his name was Brown? lived in an old caravan and collection of sheds there. He  had accumulated a great mass of rusting hulks of old cars all the way down the sides of the track shown in darrenh's Photo. I think he was there for quite a few years ,I expect the council eventually cleared the site.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 22:00:18 »
If you look carefully at a google earth you can see two sets of vertical poles on the causeways at either side of the main channel.
http://goo.gl/maps/O1lA

These are visible from the Saxon Shore way on the south side of the Swale

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 17:42:27 »
Very interesting. Thanks for posting these pics.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines