News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strood Fair  (Read 5681 times)

Geoff B

Re: Strood Fair
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 23:29:55 »
If my memory serves me correctly that piece of land is owned by the Showmans Guild. I do remember Henry Forest's fair being there in the 60s for winter shelter when the fairs were not open.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 20:27:31 »
John Woolls/Forrest phoned me for a chat this afternoon. I told him about this forum, so don't be sirprised if he pops in here sometime.
Derek Brice

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 19:28:08 »
Sounds like that might be Forrests Funfair.I know that many of the Showmen have yards in the Strood area.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:43:31 »
I remember back in the late 60s I think, my brother and me going to the fair with some friends,as we walked to school up Station rd we would pass the site in winter to see the fair rides all packed and stored waiting for the fair season to come again.
***I am still the child within***

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 22:23:08 »
Haven't used Station Rd for a while to notice but do they still hold a fair there and they used to winter on the site is that still done.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
Strood Fair
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:29:48 »
Reading ‘when is  it history’ thread.  Got me thinking too, and what my take is on it. 

Many years ago got my late father talking about his memories.  One of them concerned the fair held at Strood every year (ancient charter granted in 1206 by King John to the monks and to be held on the feast of Assumption)

‘they had old type caravans –wooden and pulled by horses. The horses would be tken to Cliffe marshes or Upnor to graze while the three day fair was on.  The people were gypsy type and they walked with their horses.
Rides were run by rubber belts from steam engines. The fair would start up at about two in the afternoon. There would be a hurdy girdy, booking booth, fat lady and other freaks such as bearded lady. There would be coconut shies, darts, wooden swings, fortune telling booth. Childrens roundabouts where a man would turn a handle. Galloping horses, Big Lizzie (which was the favourite)  which was a large boat swining to and fro. It took about twenty peope and was mounted by climbing up high steps.  Later in the 1940’s there would be dodgems and charplanes.
The fair would be held at the back of the High Street off Sttation Road. Baked peanuts and chestnut nd potatoes would be for sale from ‘Rhoady’ who live in station road on the corner.
Some of the names of the fairs were Barnham and Bailey& Nicholls’.

In the book Strood a pictorial history compiled by avril Bloomfield are a number of photos of the fair during the 1900's taken by a Mr Wenborn.  - i am not sure of copyright issues here so have not copied them.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines