News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shooting Great Expectations in Rochester  (Read 12040 times)

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
Re: Shooting Great Expectations in Rochester
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 19:50:40 »
Hi, I think Old Gilbert was also known as Masher Gilbert who had his stable in Morden Street. I think he lived in Hooper's Place.
Regards Troyboy

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 19:42:20 »
Hi
If you are talking about the 1950 film of Great Expectations, most of the Medway towns scenes took place in Minor Canon row and that area of the Vines round the Kings School in that area. A local man known as "old Gilbert" who still had a horse and cart did a lot of  background work, cart and horse shots. I attended St. Margaret`s  Primary school at the time and remember watching some of the activity in the Vines /Paddock Lane area generated by the film crew.

Offline gardener

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 15:44:46 »
I have an old archive to catalogue and a record of Tom Beslee a local Cliffe  man being in the film in 1946 and also that Joe Gargerys forge was built at Cooling the fog being a smoke bomb. It may be then that a lot of local people were extra's.

John Thomas

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 15:36:28 »
I can remember seeing the "Paddler" being fitted out in the yard opposite to "Bertie Gills" boatyard (Crescent Trading Co.) Our yard was on the river bend below Rochester Bridge, below  Frindsburt Chalk Pits. where I was an trainee apprentice shipwright,.

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 17:21:21 »
I think they might be there on the 10th,as South East Today announced last night that they are running a competition on their friday edition to win tickets to watch it with the stars.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 17:00:38 »
10th and 11th February at 6.30 p.m. On one of these days Hayley Mills, daughter John Mills (Pip) and Robert Powell will be present.

kevin payne

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 14:42:56 »
i heard the other day that this film is going to be shown in rochester cathedral's nave very soon,but i didnt catch the date.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:09:08 »
My sister remembers seeing some filming for the David Lean film (1946?)
taking place in the fields between Chalk church and the railway, near Gravesend.
mmitch.

Online mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 23:54:13 »
Keep an eye on Inside Out on BBC South East for 2012!

Monday Feb. 6th. 19.30. (and keep an eye out for Grandson!)

Online mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:40 »
Scenes from a movie were shot in the Dockyard around the Ropery in early December this year, with actors in victorian costume. All the locations in the yard were signposted 'GE' - a re-make of Great Expectations maybe?

Keep an eye on Inside Out on BBC South East for 2012!

Merry

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 22:16:37 »
Scenes from a movie were shot in the Dockyard around the Ropery in early December this year, with actors in victorian costume. All the locations in the yard were signposted 'GE' - a re-make of Great Expectations maybe?

That's interesting, the signs were back up just before Xmas & I couldn't work out what production it was for.  I wonder if they were just doing a few more location shots as there was no real disruption to parking like there was whilst they were filming for Sherlock Holmes or "Call the Midwife" recently.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:41 »
One of the tales I heard about the 1946 film is that the paddler was fitted out to look the part. No problem there. She retained her radio etc and was 'done' in Newhaven (I believe, please correct) but had to sail around to the Medway looking like one of the Australian Packet boats. Again no problem. Until, that is, she encountered very heavy fog in the straights of Dover. Prudence demanded that she put into Dover for a short time. All went well with the communication and she was signalled into the port. Fine except for the poor blighter out on the Admirality arm who was doing the visual check on vessels entering and leaving.......... Imagine the look on his face as an 1830's looking paddle steamer loomed out of the dense fog at him............ S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:18:34 »
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

mosky

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 17:09:38 »
Having seen the 1946 film this week, I was wondering the location of the following buildings in the film:

1) Joe Gargery's Forge on the Marshes.
2) The Ship Inn, by the estuary side,  where Pip and Herbert wait to transfer Magwitch on to the Packet.

I have read that the Paddle Steamer 'Rotterdam' was filmed in the Medway and the marsh scenes were filmed on St.Mary's Marshes west of Allhallows.
However, I was intringued to know the location of the two isolated buildings and if they are still standing.

Offline John E Vigar

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 13:42:58 »
In fact the church of St Martha, Chilworth, Surrey seems to have been the inspiration for the painted backdrop in the 1936 film rather than Cooling.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines