News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shooting Great Expectations in Rochester  (Read 12049 times)

NCR

Shooting Great Expectations in Rochester
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:43:07 »
I stand to be corrected but there's no evidence for the Church being a film location (will need to watch fi again tonight). Certainly plates were shot for reference and perhaps back projection. Painted backdrops also used at Denham Studios obviously have been created with St James as the inspiration.

It appears to be a myth muddled with St James being the site described in the novel. Perhaps film location thread is best for this. Suspect opinions will be divided. In meantime Chathan news archive should help I know their photographers captured Lean setting up around the area.

Postscript 02.09.11

I have posted info in "Restoration House" that, I believe, debunks both St James and Resoration House as actual film locations. However they were studied and reference material was obviously produced/sourced to create sets evocative of the locations. For my mind that makes them equally valid - sometimes it's simply easier to film on a set when the environment is easier to control and/or a heightened sense of realism or more authentic period visulaisation can be created.

That does not, in my view, negate the importance of the real life locations. Any claim they make in connection with the film - to a point - is valid. Often the decision not to film on location is about the simple mechanics of film production.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:19:14 »
I think parts of the 1946 film were shot in the churchyard of St. James Church and the marshes at Cooling.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:15 »
Anyway "We" almost killed the film on a preview arranged whilst David Lean was shooting Great Expectations in Rochester
I know this really belongs to the topic 'Restoration House', but it's an example of how topics inter-relate and I don't see how else I can ask the question: Have you any details of where 'Great Expectations' was shot in Rochester?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines