News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Binfield Bros. Dover.  (Read 7922 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Binfield Bros. Dover.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 22:04:51 »
Thanks Islesy, the Fulham pottery is probably the oldest company that produced stoneware in the UK. The 2 I assume is 2 gallon. A lot of flagons were marked with the capacity although it could denote  a manufacture date of 1902, date codes in the pottery mark were often used, especialy by Doulton. The larger flagons that had no handle may have had a metal collar and handle fitted afterwards and these flagons often had a hole at the base where a tap would be inserted for use on a serving counter.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 19:51:20 »
I was just curious Islesy, being a collector of these things I just wondered if it was a Stiff,Fulham or Doulton etc example...just being nosey :)

That's OK Sheppey Bottles, had to call back over the weekend - it's marked "The Pottery, Fulham, London" with a large '2' above the maker's mark and there's no handle. Hope that helps?
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 17:34:24 »
Like a number of these shops/merchants they would have probably bought ale from someone like Leneys and put it in their own bottles. The brewer may have even done that for them I suppose. One of my old glass beer bottles from Kennedy of Chatham even has the word 'Bottler' embossed to the front.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 17:13:02 »

They may not have been brewers, just agents ??? for brewers....

Ellenkate

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 16:09:59 »
I was just curious Islesy, being a collector of these things I just wondered if it was a Stiff,Fulham or Doulton etc example...just being nosey :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 14:57:18 »
Same from me ellenkate, great info on the name and I shall add it to my collection. If you come across James I would love to hear baout what you see. Thankyou.SB.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:00 »
Great background Ellenkate, thanks. I came across the flagon at Chalkpit Farm in Bekesbourne Sheppey Bottles so I'll have to look at the marks/handle next time I'm that way.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:57 »
No mention of a James Binfield as a brewer there ellenkate, that does suprise me..maybe he ran the firm for a very short period.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:39:53 »
Some references from my indexes re BINFIELD of Dover:

Mr A.F.BINFIELD – letter re the war (Dover Express 11.12.1914 p.5)

Elizabeth BINFIELD of St Leonards Deal spr married Thomas BETTES  24 Oct 1812 (St Leonards Deal, Regr 1/21)

George BINFIELD, music master, Dover – Insolvent Court, Dover – discharged (Dover Telegraph 14.11.1835 p.8 col.3)

George BINFIELD, Elsham’s Cottage, Dover  (Prof. of Music)  (Kent Directory 1837)

George BINFIELD, teacher of music and organist to St James’s Church,  20 Castle Street, Dover
(Post Office Directory 1878)

Nicholas BINFIELD, water bailiff, aged 76  buried 1761 (Folkestone BTs)

Miss S. BINFIELD married 22 Oct at Folkestone to Mr C. GASSON (Dover Telegraph 4 Nov 1837 p.8 col.4)

Thomas BINFIELD, Deal – acquitted of charge of stealing a silver spoon (Dover Telegraph 3 Apr 1847 p.8 col.3)

W. BINFIELD & SONS, Wine, ales,  and spirit merchants, also Grocers,  6 Last Lane, Dover
(advert  page xlvi, xlvii, xlviii  1875 Sinnock Directory)

William BINFIELD, Adrian Street, Dover,  Grocer (Kent Directory 1837)

Wm BINFIELD & SONS,grocers,cheesemonger/wine/spirit merchants, 5 & 6 Last Lane, Dover (P. O. Directory 1878)

Wm Jonas BINFIELD – funeral  (long report) (Dover Express 6.8.1915 p.2 col.3 at bottom)

BINFIELD of Folkestone (in 1726-50 licences to marry lists by Cowper)

Widow BINFIELD aged 85  died 27 March at Folkestone (Dover Telegraph 1 Apr 1837 p.8 col.4)

Miss BINFIELD, piano lessons, 20 Castle Street, Dover (page 1 col 3, also col 4 -pianos)
also advert for Mr G. BINFIELD p.1 col.3                 (Dover Express 26.5.1871)

BINFIELD Bros, 11/12 Market Square, Dover  agents for Ovenden & Gibbon, brewers, Croydon (Post Office Directory 1878)

BINFIELD BROS, ale & porter merchants/wine & spirit importers/agents for Overton & Gibbon, brewers, Croydon;  &  Brett & Co’s O.D.V.  pure pale brandy and liqueur ginger brandy, 11 & 12 Market Square Dover (P.O. Directory 1878)

BINFIELD BROS, Dover  (advert Dover Chronicle Jan 5 1884, p.1 col.2)

BINFIELD ref No.241  (Memorial Inscriptions, Cowgate Cemetery, Dover – St Marys parish – list in Dover ref library)

BINFIELD of Last Lane, Dover  – stoneware jar  (in Dover Museum)

BINFIELD BROS, Dover – merchants, whisky advert, front page (Dover Standard Sat Jan 7 1893)

Mr BINFIELD, formerly of Dover – on crew of “Aboukir”  (Dover Express Sep 25 1914 p.5 col.3)

BINFIELD – records back to 1650 in the records of Folkestone parish church. 
See Folkestone Gazette “Bellringer over half a century” 22.2.1950 page 1 cols 5 & 6 refers to Stephen Thomas BINFIELD of Dover Rd, aged 84 (info ex Bob Hollingsbee)

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:11 »
A very nice flagon of local intrest..I wonder what the number 4816 was for above the name, I shouldn't think the company was big enough to number each flagon! I have a half pint beer bottle from this company which has embossed to the front James Binfield, Dover. What size is the flagon by the way, also does it have a handle and is there a potters mark?

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
Binfield Bros. Dover.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 22:27:54 »
From the Kelly's Directory 1899:
BINFIELD Bros. ale & porter, wine & spirit merchants, (11 & 12 Market Square).

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines