Kent History Forum

News: Capt. John Aidan Liddell V.C. - Died of wounds 31.08.15.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gravesend Reporter works  (Read 3019 times)

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 1
    • The Upchurch Collection
Re: Gravesend Reporter works
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 14:58:53 »
I worked on the Gravesend Reporter from 1963/66 and I was looking on google earth the other day and looked at Harmer Street and the rear access to the old works. The original works seems still to be there. Can any one tell me if the old machines are still in place.  The property still look's as it was in 1966 when I left. The old reporter press was from the Daily Telegraph and the new press was put in around 1965/6 in to the newer building. The far left of the building at the back was the oldest with very old Victorian printing presses. 
Also when did the printing of the paper stop at the Harmer St. Address.

I worked at the Gravesend Reporter for two years as a photographer, before I was " head-hunted " for the new Kent Messenger evening paper, the Kent Evening Post. Very happy days, a good place to work and learn.

My first morning, I didn't know not to enter by the back printers door. I got half way across the floor when they started hitting steel rulers against their desks. I never did that again. Everyone including me were frightened of printers in those days. I quickly became friends with some and had the honour to be asked for a drink in the printers pub near the clock tower.

I think all printing stopped in Harmer Street when the Kentish Times took over. I don't know the year as I had left by then. I remember the huge presses, watching my pictures and captions being plated up. I think the KT also removed everything from the printing area.

Mike
Mike Gunnill
Upchurch in old picture postcards.
www.upchurch-village.co.uk
Otterham, Your Heritage.

rover1966

Gravesend Reporter works
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 16:56:08 »
I worked on the Gravesend Reporter from 1963/66 and I was looking on google earth the other day and looked at Harmer Street and the rear access to the old works. The original works seems still to be there. Can any one tell me if the old machines are still in place.  The property still look's as it was in 1966 when I left. The old reporter press was from the Daily Telegraph and the new press was put in around 1965/6 in to the newer building. The far left of the building at the back was the oldest with very old Victorian printing presses. 
Also when did the printing of the paper stop at the Harmer St. Address.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines