News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard Letters  (Read 12820 times)

martinrogers

Re: Dockyard Letters
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 15:36:16 »
Chatham Dock 3rd June 1745.

Gentlemen.

I have received your Warrant of the 9th Instant, to the Officers of this Yard to send Stores to Sheerness, one of the 7th to the Master Attendant & Clerk of the Cheque here, to dispense with the absence of Julins Wood Purser of the Buckingham for two months, one for the 5th to the Officers of Sheerness, to receive Stores in answer to their demand of the 1st instant.  Inclosed is a demand from them for Stores (the while howsor may be Supplied from hence.) another for Ground Glass, a letter acquainting you with their Docking the Dover, and one from the Clerk of the Cheque there, praying another Inprest; - The Bo?Sholders brought into this Yard yesterday, two of the outstanding Ropemakers pursuant to Judge Wrights and my Warrants given for that purpose, Thomas Whithoak & William Godsall, the latter made his Escape, by Slipping from them and overturning the Warden at the gate, - the former is in Custody on board the Union.  This I thought proper to acquaint you with.  And am

Gentlemen
Your most humble Servant
Charles Brown

martinrogers

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 15:47:50 »
Chatham Dock 4th June 1745.

Gentlemen.

This o???s the receipt of your Warrant of the 3rd instant, to the Officers of this Yard, to cause the defects of His Majestys Ship Namur to be gone on with, and your letters from the Masters Attendant and Shipwright at Sheerness acquainting you with their Docking and undocking His Majestys Ships Shoreham and Gibraltar, one from the latter with the defects of the Falcon Sloop, also a letter from the Officers of the Ropeyard, relating to John Abrahams a Spinner, praying your directions concerning him &c.-to which I refer you.  And am

Gentlemen
Your most humble Servant
Charles Brown

martinrogers

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:04 »
Chatham Dock 1st June 1745.

Gentlemen.

I have received your Warrant of the 8th past to repair the Graving of the Royal George, one of the 28th to the Officers of Sheerness, to receive Stores in answer to their demand of the 24th and one of the 31st to the Clerk of the Cheque there to Enter Mr. Robert Ratsey Surgeons first mate of the Dover from the date of his Warrant.
As there are four of the Standing out Ropemakers, now on board the Royal Soverign, namely John Towney taken by the Judges Warrant Stephen Wright, William Housegoe, William Marhin, by mine, and John Patrick taken by the Judges Warrant now in Rochester Goal; I begg to know how long you would please to have the Judges and my Warrants continue in force in the Constables hands.  Inclosed is a Petition from Ann Elizabeth and David Head, which I send you at the request of Commissioner Vanburgh, and am of opinion my Self, the poor Orphans deserve Relief.  I am

Gentlemen
Your most humble Servant
Charles Brown

martinrogers

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 23:10:11 »
Honourable Sirs,

Jonathon Abrahams a Spinner lately belonging to this Ropery, & one that absented himself from his work, & was made run by your Warrant of the 17th Ult., came quietly to work this morning & as we did not Observe him to be a Ringleader in the Riot, think it our Duty to Acquaint you with it, & pray your Directions concerning him, & any more that may offer themselves, to return peaceably to the works here.  We are

Honourable Sirs
Your most humble servants

A. Rice      W. Guy

martinrogers

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 16:14:33 »
Honourable Sirs

We Humbly send you an Account of the Persons at Work here this day.

Foreman – Two
Spinners – Twenty two
Servants – Seventeen
Hatchellers – Thirteen
Labourers – Seventeen

We Are
Honourable Sirs
Your most Obedient:Humble servants
A. Rice      W. Guy

martinrogers

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 16:46:06 »
Chatham Rope Yard 20th May 1745
An Account of Persons at Work this day.

Foremen – Two
Spinners – Twenty four
Servants – Sixteen
Hatchellers – Sixteen
Labourers – Twenty

A List of persons who did not return to their Duty this day, and are made Run, by the Honourable Navy Board Warrant the 17th instant.
Spinners

David Barry
Gabriel Coomber
Daniel Sweeny
Richard Carr
Arthur Coomber
Daniel Collins
William Dean
Thomas Clark
Jonathon Howell
Peter Dickenson
William Sannell
Joseph Baker
Thomas Wrothoak
William Stonestreet
William Triggs
Jonathon Palmer
Thomas Gaskin
Jonathon Pickman
Jonathon Beecroft
Henry Dawson
Samuel Howsegoe
Jonathon Patrick
Jonathon Emmett
William Bennett
William Trott
Jonathon Abrahams
Joseph Anderson
George Hutson
Jonathon Ayres
Thomas England
Jonathon Holiday
Robert Knight
Jonathon Jay
Jonathon Pervins
Jonathon Coomber
Jonathon Dibbens
William Howsegoe
Thomas Howell
Jacob Kent
George Godsell
Stephen Wright
Jas. Tenny
Richard Smith
George Gray
Richard Jackson
Robert Day
Thomas Powell
Robert Forbus
Thomas Watkins
Jonathon Pearless
William Godsell
William Martin
Ralph Rawlings
H. Ne?oby

A. Rice      W. Guy

martinrogers

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 19:54:25 »
Honourable Sirs

In Obedience to your warrant of the 17th instant, we let all the men, who had absented themselves from their Duty know, that if they did not return thereto this day, they would be Run.  Likewise, let them know their behaviour hath been such that they must not expect ay Relief from you.  Inclosed we send you an account of the men at work, & a list of those who did not return to their Duty, & are made Run.
We are
Honourable Sirs
Your most Obedient Servants
A Rice      W Guy

martinrogers

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 18:24:09 »
Chatham Dock 20th May 1745

Gentlemen.

Inclosed is a letter from the Offices of the Ropeyard, with an Account of the Men at work and about this day, to which I refer you, also one from the masters attendants and Shipwright at Sheerness, acquainting you with the Docking and undocking his Majestys Sloop Jamaica.  I am

Gentlemen
Your most humble servant
Charles Brown

martinrogers

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 20:54:54 »
Chatham Dock 19th May 1745.

Gentlemen.

I have received your Warrant of the 17th inst. to the Offices of this Yard, and Ropeyard, to receive from Mr. John Porter the Hemp mentioned in the Contract on the otherside of it, one of the 16th to the master Attendant & Clerk of the Chequehore, with a copy of a Contract made with the Mess’s Lewis Sanlin and John Machin for taking up Gravell &c. and your two letters of yesterday to me, with Justice Wrights Warrant; Immediately upon the receipt of it put it into the hands of the Constable at Chatham, to take up and bring before me, the four Riotous Ropemakers, the fifth being already in Custody in the Yard, and will strictly perform all your directions concerning them.  The better to awe those tumultuous Ropemakers.  I have wrote to the Commanding Officers of the three Regiments of Soldiers Quartered in these Towns to assist me with a  detachment of their men to parole from the Land wall and Brompton to the Dock Gate tomorrow morning at five, this I thought adviceable to do, upon being inform’d they had aid they would not come to the Dock Gate to morrow, but would be at the foresaid places, to stop the people from coming to their work.
Inclosed is a letter from the Master Shipwright at Sheerness, with the defects of the Baltimore and Jamaica Sloops, and from the Officers there a demand for Stores, the particulars therein ticked with red ink may be Supply from hence.
The Constable returned to me at six this #evening, and told me, he, had his four Bo?sholders had made a dilligent search for the four Rioters at Rochester, Chatham and Brompton, but could not find one of them, in which they had the assistance of the Mayor of Rochester, who promised to commit them to Goal.  From their not being found fear they got some notice of the Judges Warrant from London.  I am

Gentlemen
Your most humble servant
Charles Brown

martinrogers

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:26 »
Chatham Dock 18th May 1745

Gentlemen.

I have received your warrant of the 18th instant, to the Offices of the ropeyard, to Run all such Ropemakers as do not return to their duty by Monday next, a letter to them, acquainting them with the Death of James Basset and your three letters to me; all your directions therein I will punctually comply with.  I have also your two Warrants (all of the forementioned date) to the Masters Attendant and Shipwright and Clerk of the Cheque at Sheerness, to allow the Riggers and their Labourers to work two tydes extra.  And Employ the Seavelemn, Labourers and Teams on Task Work.
Inclosed are from the Offices of this Yard, two letters proposing the Shipwrights &c., working Extra and Building two Boathouses, three from these at Sheerness relating to the Quintin Armed Sloop.
His Majestys Ship Prince George sailed from Gillingham to Blackstakes this day.  I am

Gentlemen
Your most humble servant
Charles Brown

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 12:38:21 »
Whereas many of the Ropemakers belonging to his majestys yard at Chatham have for some days past absented themselves from their work and several of them have come to the Dock Gate and in a riotous manner stopt those that would have come quietly to their duty, which obliged me to read the riot act to them.  These are those few to give notice to all persons whom it may concern, that if any of those Ropemakers shall presume from this day forward to interrupt others from coming to work, they will be apprehended, and presented according to the utmost severity of the law.  And that all and every one of them, will be made run(?) onto of all their wages Dated in Chatham Yard May 17th 1745

Charles Brown

Gentlemen,

Yesterday I had great hopes all the Ropemakers would come quietly to work as I had put up notifications (a copy of which inclos’d you last night).  But they tore them all down, and came to this Gate this morning when the bell rung in to work, and many of the principal Rioters kept out those that were willing to come in; when I went up to them, they told me they would persist in so doing till they were righted (as they called it) on which I seized one of them, James Jerney, who I have in safe custody, & desire your directions what to do with him, he being one of those that kept out Henry Barnet who was sent up yesterday to make oath thereof.  This happening whilst the Shipwrights and other workmen were coming in, I demanded their assistance in the King’s name but not one of them would obey me, to that having no body byt the Officers with me I could not secure any more of the Rioters.  I thought proper to send you this notice by Express, that I may receive your further directions again it Monday when it is probably they will behave as they did this morning.  I have inclos’d you the Clerk of the Rope Yard’s account of the men at work, and a list of the persons most active in the Riot this morning.  I am
Gentlemen
Your most humble servant
Charles Brown

Chatham Rope Yard
An account of persons at work this day.
18th May 1745

Foreman   two
Spinners   Fourteen
Servants   Fifteen
Hatchellers   Fifteen
Labourers   Eighteen

A list of persons who were most active in the Riot this morning

Spinners
Jonathon Beecroft
Henry Dawson
Samuel Housegoe
Joseph Anderson
Jonathon Ayres
Thomas Howell
Thomas Watkins
George Gray
Thomas England
George Godsell
James Jerney
Robert Day
William Sanne?
Jonathon Pearless

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:04:12 »
Chatham Dock 17th May 1745

Gentlemen,

A great number of the Ropemakers belonging to this yard assembled themselves without our Dock Gate this morning at four a clock, and endeavoured to keep those men that had returned back to their duty from coming in, which obliged me to read the Riot Act to them, in order for their departing to their habitations, or to their lawfull business in this Yard, upon which Fifty One returned to their work, and many of them dispersed.  I have here inclosed a copy of the publications which I have caused to be nailed up at the Dock Gate, Brompton, Rochester and Chatham market places, as I have some hopes that this method will bring them to a sense of their duty especially as it is not probable, that they will have any credit given them by their Dealers, its reasonable to believe (if I may offer my opinion) that any prosecution may be deferred a day or two longer, for if they do not come to their duty in that time, they can have no pretense to ask for relief, however, least you may have come to some resolution in that matter I have ordered three men to attend you who were stopped by some of the ringleaders from coming to work, and who, are ready to make oath of the same.  I have received your two warrants of the 16th to the Offices of the Ropeyard concerning the Ropemakers, and their answer thereto is herewith inclosed, as is also a letter from the master attendant at Sheerness, praying to be allowed some additional pay, for attending and endeavouring to save the Prmbroke & c., that he did diligently attend and endeavour the getting the ship upright I know to be true.  I am

Gentlemen
Your most humble servant
Charles Brown

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 21:28:20 »
Honourable Sirs,

Inclosed we humbly send you an account of the Ropemakers, that stay’d & perform’d their work peaceably this day, & also, an account of those that would not stay, & pray leave to inform you, that the whole of them attended their call this morning, in the presence of the Honourable Commissioner Brown, & S. J Acworth, who thought proper to cause your ????, of the 7th & 8th instant, to be read to them, not withstanding which, and the utmost endeavours were used to being them to their duty, they could no be prevailed on to fo to their work, but went out of the yard.

We are
Honourable Sirs
Your most obedient : humble servants

A list of Ropemakers that worked the 13th May 1745

William Bishop - Layer
Thomas Adams – Layer
Ben Parrett
Jer. Jarrett
Jonothan Hopkins
David Ward
Thomas Eversfield
Peter Simpson
Henry Barnett
William Lovell
Robert Taylor
Jonathon Sherlock
Robert Beverstock
William Phillips
Robert Holmes
William Cooper
James Pratten, servant
Richard Ackland, servant
William Boney
Jonathon Phillips, servant
Robert Judd, servant
Jonathon Baker, servant
Jonathon Gordon, servant
Rotherton Day, servant
Jonathon French, servant
Gregory Nicholls
Jonathon Brown, servant
William Cearn, servant
Thomas Coney, servant
Richard Button, servant
Rufiell Bottle, servant

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 20:29:53 »
Chatham Dock 12th May 1745.

Gentlemen,

Mr. Thomas Fletcher, who is the present contractor for carrying on the teams of this yard, acquaints me that Mr. James Hitches of the Town of Brompton intends to offer himself to your Board, and to lower the contract.  What I have to say, in favour of the present contractor is, that its agreed, that the yard was never better served, than at present, and that he will be a great sufferer, if he is obliged to give it up, in less than a twelve months he has such a large ?ott of horses and fodder provided, and if Mr. Hitches comes to the contract sooner; I wish it be thought proper to demand a good security for his performance of the same.  I begg leave to inclose Mr. Thomas Fletchers letter to me for your perusall.  And am

Gentlemen
Your most humble servant
Charles Brown

Chatham May 11 – 1745

Sir,

I am apprehensive some persons will make a tender to the Navy Board to undertake to serve Chatham Yard with teams under the present price (the lowest that ever was given).  If that should happen I beg leave to acquaint you when the present contract was made by Uncle Mr. Gabriel Walker there were then but six teams employ’d, that there are now twelve; and we were oblig’d to lay in a stock of fodder for that number, and for fear the service might call for more teams in this time of war provided a greater quantity.  Therefore pray the favour of you to intercede with the Navy Board that if I should have warning, tho’ the contract stipulates but six months, as the number of teams are doubled and I have a great stock of fodder it may be extended to a year to prevent my being under a necessity to part with my horses and fodder at a very great loss.  I am content to carry on the contract at the present (tho’ low) price.  As my request is both reasonable and equitable hop for your favour in it which will lay a very great obligation on.

Sir
Your most obedient : humble
Servant
J Flethcer

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 19:46:04 »
Honourable Sirs,

By directions from Commissioner Brown, we Humbly send you inclosed a list of the several persons belonging to his majestys Ropery here, that came peaceably to their work this day, & of those that absented themselves.

We are
Honourable Sirs
Your most obedient; humble servants

A list of persons that came peaceably to work this day.

John Bishop 1st Foreman
William Guy 2nd Foreman
William Bishop
William Chapman
Thomas Adams
David Barry
Gabriel Coomber
Maurice Delamore
Ben Parrett
Jer. Jarrett
Daniel Sweeny
Richard Carr
Jonathon Hopkins
David Ward
Daniel Collins
Thomas Evenfield
Peter Simpson
William Dean
Henry Barnett
William Lovell
David Phillips
Jonathon Howell
Robert Taylor
Jonathan Sherlock
Peter Dickenson
Robert Bevenstock
Thomas Writhoak
William Phillips
Robert Holmes
William Triggs
Jonathon Palmer
Thomas Gaskin
Jonathan Pickman
Jonathan Beecroft
Samuel Howsego?
Jonathan Emmett
William Bennett
William Trott
William Cooper
Jonathon Abrahams
Jos. Anderson
George Hutson
Jas. Pratten, a servant
John Ayres
Thomas England
Robert Knight
Jonathon Joy
Jonathon Lewins
Ad. Ackland, a servant
William Boney
Jonathon Phillips, a servant
Robert Judd, a servant
Jonathon Baker, a servant
Jonathon Gordon, a servant
Jonathon Dibbens
William Howsego?
Rotherton Day, a servant
Thomas Howell
Edward Hedges
Jacob Kent
George Godsell
Richard Smith
Richard Jackson
Robert Day
Jonathon French, a servant
Thomas Powell
Robert Forbus
Thomas Watkins
Gregory Nicholls
Jonathon Brown, a servant
William Cearne, a servant
William Martin
Ralph Rawlings
Thomas Coney, a servant
James Hammond, a servant
William newby

Hatchellers

Richard Price
Robert Orlad
Samuel Watkins
Charles Chandler
Jonathon Hodges
Richard Day
Henry Owen
Edward Howell
Thomas French
Stephen Hickman
Jsu. Scott
Thomas Metcalf
Richard Newman
Edward Randall
Thomas Wildish

Labourers

Jonathon Godfrey
Jonathon Callahane
Michael Ash
Francis Burrell
William Rogers
William Hile
Robert Raynolds
Peter Burton
Joseph Fisher
Jonathon Kennett
William White
Francis Blankingsops
Jonathon Tanner
William Styles
Stephen Muddle
Jonathon Collins
Jonathon York

A list of persons that absented themselves from their work this day.

Spinners

Henry Sweetland - sick
Edward Linch – sick
Henry Dawson – lame
William Coomber
Thomas Abrahams
Thomas Clark
William Sannett
Jus. Baker
William Stonestreet
Jonathon Patrick
Jonathon Holiday