News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My dad the saw-doctor  (Read 4390 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: My dad the saw-doctor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:15 »
When i worked for Scott's Timber yard Railway Street Chatham they had a saw doctor he did all the cross cut blades any saws and the big band saw. It was quit a trade then as you had to keep the equipment up to scratch and i always remember he had a large setup that would take a big band saw and go round and round doing each tooth in turn. If they did a hand saw they would show how good it was by running a needle down the blade. It was quite a trade then and a good saw doctor was worth his weight in gold as good equipment ment productive work.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:09:52 »
I've a good friend who served his time as a carpenter and still sharpens his saws some of them being over 50 years old.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:59 »
I remember large metal saw blades used for cutting billets of steel being re-sharpened in the tool room at Blaw Know when I was an apprentice there. Special machines are made to do that job and I know that the Germans still manufacture them as my elder bro was their area manager in Asia and North America for some years.
AlanH.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 20:11:45 »
I used to work in a tool hire emporium and we sent all of our blades away on return from hire, some were little more than scrap though........ I next worked for a printer and the gillotine nblades went away for sharpening all the time. We had five, one spare, one in use, one waiting for pick up and two away. They were sharpened by a saw dr somewhere in the East End of London.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 18:51:00 »
There is still a vast demand for Saw blade sharpening in industry where the saws are not cheapo DIY throwaways.Saw doctors still exist ,nowadays they mainly operate computor controlled sharpening machines,but there are still traditionalists at work if you can find them.
http://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 17:44:55 »
At one time, Saw doctors were quite common - but nowadays most people just buy a cheap saw and throw it away when it is blunt. I do know of 2 Saw doctors who were trading in recent years in Essex.

librarian

My dad the saw-doctor
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 16:16:35 »
My father worked at Chatham Dockyard after we returned from Gibraltar-where he also worked in the dockyard-his job was a saw doctor repairing the large band saws used for cutting wood, I think.
Has anyone heard of this profession before? it was one I had not heard of and still today its not something I have come across.
Below is a picture taken of him at work just before he retired.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines