News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Large anchors near the York Street roundabout.Dover.  (Read 5025 times)

clanger01

Re: Large anchors near the York Street roundabout.Dover.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 21:50:45 »
Well! Shiver me timbers, looks like I opened a right can of worms about those anchors, but at least it's cleared up the fact that they are not off the Preussen, thanks for that.  (last time I listen to those two down the pub). Interesting comments and a great picture, long live the memory of that wonderful sailing ship tho`.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 13:57:04 »
A fine model off the Preussen can be seen in the entrance to the German Maritime Museum at Bremerhaven. A first class Museum with artefacts both inside and out plus a grand view of the River Weser.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 22:18:00 »
Just to explain about my original query on these anchors........
I watched a video on You Tube on two guys walking around Dover pointing out places and objects of historical interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj-jc0pSyPA&t=8s

Having worked at Dover Coastguard for several years (I'm now retired) I took an interest in the wreck of the Preussen and did a lot of research on the vessel and the rest of the "Flying P's".
When I saw the video and their comments I was rather intrigued on their reason that they thought these anchors were from the Preussen.
To back up and confirm that what they were looking at were modern kedge anchors used by the Admiral Day I put it on this forum.Your replies soon confirmed my thoughts.
I have corrected their statement on the You Tube video and have had a "Thank you" from the chap who presents the video.
Thanks for your help.
Ted Ingham

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 17:34:18 »
Those are definitely not ship anchors. For one thing, when a vessel drops it's anchors, they can't be certain which way up the anchor will be when it hits the bottom. If one of these anchors was to hit the bottom the wrong way around, it would be useless. That's why what are known as bower anchors have a pair of flukes (the bit that digs into the ground) or the flukes are on a swivel. The anchors shown here are for mooring buoys.

The Preussen, as with all ships up to the early 20th century, carried a pair of stocked Admiralty Pattern anchors. From the early 20th century, ships carried stockless Admiralty Pattern anchors or similar, which could be hauled right up into the hawse pipe, leaving just the flukes showing, rather than being slung on the sides of the ship. Boats can use a plough type anchor, such as a CQR (which incidentally stands for Chatham Quick Release) or a Bruce anchor also known as a claw anchor.

A kedge anchor is a smaller anchor, intended to be used in kedging, or moving the vessel using the anchor, like hauling a landing craft off the beach.

Just by way of an explanation, it's not the anchor which holds a vessel in position. The anchor just secures the end of the cable to the ground. It's the sheer weight of the cable which holds the vessel in place. When anchoring, one should always use a cable length at least five times the depth of the water, longer if anchoring in bad weather or strong currents.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:20:13 »
With respect, I don't think these anchors can be from the ill fated Preussen. They are too big and heavy to  have been carried by a sailing ship. I have read somewhere that a survey of the wreck C2000 states that one of the anchors is still at the wreck site. Attached photo shows the Preussen and anchors, which although not very clear, does show they are of a lighter and different pattern to those in Dover.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

clanger01

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 21:34:20 »
Hello! Just seen your interest about the two large anchors by the York street roundabout. I have been led to believe, and have been told by two dovorians that they are the anchors off the Preussen, the large German sailing ship which was wrecked off Fan Bay in 1910.

Offline Keith

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 19:50:20 »
Maybe we need a notice on the display saying all this, so everyone will know - I certainly didn't, and I pass them every day.

Keith

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:45:08 »
Thank you MikeB for confirming my theory. I have also received further information from a couple of friends that they were used by Dover Harbour Board dredger "Admiral Day" as you mentioned as kedge anchors and during salvage operations.
Many thanks,
Ted

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 23:07:06 »
Generally known as Kedge Anchors Ted. Used to secure buoys or for permanent moorings as you suggest but also used in salvage work. Not a normal ships anchor but similar, but smaller, anchors were used by landing craft who would lay out the Kedge when running on to the beach and would then haul themselves off again by hauling on the Kedge.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 21:56:16 »
Forgot to attach the photo.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
Large anchors near the York Street roundabout.Dover.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 21:53:28 »
I am trying to research what type of anchors are situated near the York Street roundabout and what were they were used for.
I understand that they were presented to the Council by Dover Harbour Board.
They may be the pair that were among a collection of anchors situated at the end of the Eastern Arm.
My theory is that they were used as large Mooring Buoy anchors rather than ship anchors.
Would just like to confirm it.
Ted

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines