News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sittingbourne Clock Tower  (Read 2706 times)

darrenh

Sittingbourne Clock Tower
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 20:40:05 »
The new clock tower in Sittingbourne was paid for by school children being encouraged to buy a brick.   My children had their certificates up until a few years ago.   I cannot remember the cost but I guess it was maybe 1.

I was one of those school kids, Homewood infant school to be precise.  I always remember it being a pound note, and mascaraded to commemorate the big news at the time, the royal wedding (charles+diana).  In retrospect it was quite poor value for money, bricks cost a pound now 20 years later!

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 15:52:16 »
The new clock tower in Sittingbourne was paid for by school children being encouraged to buy a brick.   My children had their certificates up until a few years ago.   I cannot remember the cost but I guess it was maybe 1.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 17:34:08 »
Sittingbourne Old Town Hall, now demolished, but the clock was saved and installed in a new `case` about 100 yards from its original site and is now in Central Avenue. The B/W picture is not too good but I have the original half tone letterpress plate from which decent prints could be taken if I could get my hands on a proofing press. Letterpress printing was overtaken by the new technology years ago. To the right of the notice board there are some iron railings with steps that descended to the public toilets (the subject of another topic). When I was a lad we always referred to them as the `basement club.

The Old

The New

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines